My Baby is ill any idea's

Started by Acehole, February 14, 2010, 12:54

Acehole

Not sure wetheer to drive it to mechanic or not as worried i might damage her more.

was driving a bit wierd yesterday like it was holding back and really throaty

anyways today started her up and it sound like she is couthing and really throaty and engine management light has come on flashing.

would it be ok to drive? any idea's what it could be, im really worried that engine has a serious problem cant believe it.
Ex Owner of a ...2000 X Silver (1DO) Air con with Red leather and Hardtop, JDL spoiler, 17" Momo Corse wheels, Custom exhaust system by Pipecraft, K&N 57i Gen2 Cold Air Induction Kit Facelift Indies. Full main dealer history

Anonymous

A flashing engine light is a VERY bad sign indeed  and it shouldn't be driven until you can find the problem although it ain't good   s:( :( s:(

ChrisHumes

you still got pre-cats in?

Acehole

yeah i have  s:( :( s:(
Ex Owner of a ...2000 X Silver (1DO) Air con with Red leather and Hardtop, JDL spoiler, 17" Momo Corse wheels, Custom exhaust system by Pipecraft, K&N 57i Gen2 Cold Air Induction Kit Facelift Indies. Full main dealer history

SimonC_Here

Flashing light is really bad problem.

Get the code read. It could be something as simple as a misfire which could be solved by some injector cleaner.

Won't know until the code is known.

Precat related stuff normally appears as a loss of power, not bad running.

loadswine

It wouldn't hurt to whip the O2 sensors out and see if the precats have migrated south.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

uktotty

there are lots of Essex members on here, see if someone can read that code for you

Anonymous

As has already been said,  don't drive it until you can get the codes read.

Mine did this, when I investigated, a precat had come apart and made it's way into the main cat, restricting the exhaust and so killing the power.  

It's worth investing in a reader, either a hand held or one that will hook up to a laptop.  The software is free, hardware about £15-£25 on eBay.

Cheers,

Mark

Anonymous

Also worth adding I got a flashing engine management light last year which was caused by a plug being oiled up and so misfiring.  Having re-read your post and thinking back, it might be worth having a look at your plugs...

brad82

I'm only bout 20min away from ya mate if you want the codes read give us a shout
EX SP240 gone, BMW Z4M gone, Audi s3 + something else arriving soon

Acehole

ok special thanks to normanh who come and done a code read on my baby for me. turns out the code was cylinder 2 misfire. We checked pack and spark plugs which seem to be ok but obviously dont know for certain, changed pack over to numer 1 and it still read 2 so we assuming its plug atm. i order them and see what happens from there. Again thankyou to normanh who come within 20mins of asking. so dark and cold out there that we had enough of keep changing things round lol.

normanh

Your welcome mate, took another 2 hours at home to cut that bloody nut off with a dremel and chisel dam thing resisted to the end. Still not sure what cylinder two is I have assumed 2nd from the right when facing the engine. Swapping coil packs over did nothing still a 302 code, the plug looked ok on a meter but thats not the same as under load. Lets hope its a plug.

norman

t-bone

If it is a bad plug congrats. I would still check your O2 sensor bungs to look at your precats to make sure your main cat is not clogged. Also clean your MAF check your air box filter  as well.  Have you pulled the plug to inspect? how does it compare to the others? that will help confirm that is indeed the issue.

Also some reading I found that flashing CEL does indicate either a condition where the main CAT can get damaged or any soft code that will erase if corrected.

One more thing you do have your plastic valve garnish on right? it keeps water out it is a common cause of misfires.
2004 Red MT. JDM badging, Door Inserts, Dev\'s Keyhole covers, Goof-off visor airbag sticker removal, TRD quick-shift, Speed Source shift bushing, Speed Source shift knob (190g red), Corky\'s breast plate, Che FSTB. Thus far.

spit

Quote from: "normanh"Still not sure what cylinder two is I have assumed 2nd from the right when facing the engine.

Thats right. Always count from the crank pulley end

[Mod]Moved to troubleshooting[/Mod]
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Acehole

spark plugs and coils are fine. had new spark plugs fitted and changed coils around and same code on cylinder 2. I was reading a post on forum that some1 else had similar problem and the car sounded like a subaru. this was the injector ive tried redex to no avial. do u think its worth trying to clean the injector? or is this more of a delay than a fix? (if that is what the problem is anyways)

Anonymous

You had a compression test done yet?

Acehole

no im not mech minded, whats that then?

Anonymous

When the piston comes up on a compression stroke it needs to have enough pressure to cause combustion, if it is too low because of ring wear, valve wear, or any other number of things it won't ignite causing rough running, if you get a test done the pressures should be roughly the same on every cylinder, if one is significantly lower then you have a problem

Acehole

so thats a main dealer job then? thanks les

Anonymous

Any decent garage or competent DIY'er will be able to test the compression for you   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Acehole

ok les i try that tomorrow also thankyou

StuM

You can buy a compression tester in an auto-factor (large national chain auto factor has them   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  ) and this is good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujVhVt_rhOk
Stu M

Ex 2001 Lagoon Blue Mr2 Roadster
Now - 1985 VW T25 Panel Van \":-)\"

Anonymous

Might be worth swapping the no 2 injector with another and see what happens?

If it is an injector I have some kicking around from my old 1ZZ, I can stick one in the post it you need.

Compression test shouldn't cost much.  

Is the car burning more oil than it used too at all?...

normanh

From what I seen and chatting to Ace the faults intermittent, it it was compression it wouldn't give these symptoms so I still favour the injector. On Monday when it decide to run it ran sweet as a nut, yet an hour before it was as rough as hell.

I'll have to check out the No 1 son and see if his "snap on chest" has a compression tester just for good measure.

normanh

Acehole

this is just so wierd. anyways car was running woefully yesterday and it did not clear, on way to work this morning still not clear, anyways spray wd40 on injector plug and its cleared it today "but" only driven it 5mins round the corner. have to see, but if thats done the job thats just so wierd to cause so much aggro. my money is that it will come back again but i keep you updated

Tags: