HELP! WHISTLE SOUND WHEN ACCELERATE!

Started by Anonymous, February 15, 2010, 16:07

Anonymous

It would be lovely to know if anyone's had this problem or knows what one earth it could be! If I don't get this fixed I am going to lose my mind!

Every time I put my foot down on the accelerator my car makes an extremely annoying high pitch whistle sound, it doesn't continue if I keep my foot down it only makes the noise at first.

It isn't clear exactly where in the engine the noise is coming from and I've had opinions off three different mechanics, one from a Toyota dealer itself. They all assumed this whistle sound was a result of an air leek and a problem with the inlet manifold gasket. After having my engine taken apart and the inlet manifold gasket system changed, it's now clear that this whistle cannot be an air leak! Now each mechanic appears clueless!

The car performance is only slightly affected and not entirely noticeable, when the car whistles it seems to have a tiny flat spot. The engine light isn't on so It can't be causing any damage to the car, only me and my head!

ad_car_08

Is the car completely standard, or has an aftermarket filter been added etc?
Might help to narrow down where the whistle is coming from
[size=85]2004 Sable MR2 Roadster - Track toy
Honda Civic EX 1.0T - Company Car
[/size]

Anonymous

Thanks for replying so quick!

It's completely standard! I bought it in august it's a w reg. The person before me said it had been making the whistle noise since he had it in 04, i've even had someone say it sounds like the cambelt is slipping but it's not and nothing to do with that.

I personally think it sounds more high pitch when it's been raining.

cclarke99

It could be the accesory drivebelt slipping, this will get worse if it's wet. Inlet manifold noises (downstream of the throttle body) are generally worse when the engine is idling as the vacuum is stronger and will disappear if you accelerate (vaccuum is less). Upstream of the throttle body there isn't enough pressure difference to make it whistle. I'd ask someone to look at the accessory belt tension - if it's been slipping since 2004 it will be pretty worn by now

mrzwei

Hasn't got a cam belt its got a timing chain so no worries there.
Auxilliary belt (fan belt); an easy check just to eliminate.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

uktotty

what is an accessory belt? Sounds like something from Primark

Anonymous

lol!!! primark!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks to both of u!

Ahhh I think I have heard someone mention the accessory drivebelt before,

Sorry i'm going to sound like a real girl now,  is that under the car? Like when you put your foot down it pushes some thing under the car to the engine, something to do with it's power? oh I don't even know how to explain ?

uktotty

dont ask me babe, I didnt even know what it was LOL!

Anonymous

lol okay question directed to cclarke99 or anyone else who knows!!!!!!!!!!!

StuM

As you look in the engine bay, it's a belt round some pulleys visible low on the right hand side.
Stu M

Ex 2001 Lagoon Blue Mr2 Roadster
Now - 1985 VW T25 Panel Van \":-)\"

Anonymous

Thanks!

Do you think as well this could be the culprit of the whistle?!

StuM

I would normally describe a slipping belt fan as a 'screech' noise, rather than a whistle.  Does it do it all of the time, or is it intermittent?

There might be a member local to you that could have a listen.
Stu M

Ex 2001 Lagoon Blue Mr2 Roadster
Now - 1985 VW T25 Panel Van \":-)\"

Anonymous

Quote from: "danielle3989"Thanks!

Do you think as well this could be the culprit of the whistle?!

How hot are you? Could be builders etc perhaps?

Anonymous

Sounds like it could be the belt, this may happen if the tensioner is on it's way out or a bearing is seizing up.

Does the sound seem like it's coming from your right side when you are driving the car.

Where are you based.

cclarke99

Sorry I was in a bit of a hurry replying and didn't explain it properly. It's a drive belt that connects the engine to the alternator, air conditioning pump and water pump. If the belt is loose and the engine speeds up it can't pull the other bits round fast enough and the belt slips, which makes the sound. StuM is right, it's more of a screech than a whistle. It's worse when it's wet, obviously and also often first thing when you start, as it's cold and doesn't grip so well, also because the alternator is working harder to charge the battery. Any garage should be able to look at it and tell you if it's the problem.

Anonymous

Thanks peop!

It's deff worse when wet and I'm not sure about when engine first starts i'll have to listen more... It doesn't happen when the car's over 60mph?

It's a screechy whistle, not like builders lol!!! Maybe more of a screech if you compare to an actually swiss swoooo. Hard to describe! It's deff more of a screech when wet.

Each time I put my foot down and make the car speed up it makes it.

I can't really figure out what side it's coming from, if i have a passenger they'll say it's behind them which would be left but when I have my window open or roof down i think it's behind me!!! It's just loud!

Is it quite rare because it didn't pop to any of the mechanics minds when listening?

I'm in Bristol.

muffdan

it does sound like the belt is slipping, but I'd have thought a mechanic would have picked it up straight away. I assume they've gone out in the car and heard it?
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

Anonymous

Oh yes!!

Two have raced it around to get the ear full, their heart was set on it being an air leek though.

Can this happen to all cars?

One mechanic used to work for peugeot and said he's never heard anything like it and the other deals with all sorts except bmw''s. I even asked a toyota mechanic and he was like inlet manifold gasket for sure bla bla bla

Anonymous

I just spoke to one of the mechanics again he doesn't live far and he's determined it's still and air noise just doesn't know what!

Ilogik

you didn't get done by this lot did you

m http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpl_ey5cVnk m   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Current: Genuine GT300 Monocraft running a 2ZZ-GE
Ex: Trial kitted Cam\'d Power fc
Ex: TRD stage 1 TTE Turbo

uktotty

replace the whistle with a horn
 m http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvdjOsvB ... re=channel m

Ilogik

Those two black dudes looked scared, probably thought it was a drive by   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

No I don't think they did it!!! lol

If changed the lovely screechy whistle to a horn I think i'd cause a lot of accidents !

Including my own !

That was indeed terrifying.

Anonymous

Will anyone ever no what's what with my poor baby  s:( :( s:(

Ilogik

where are you located btw? i can recommend a garage that will probably find your whistle sound if in the midlands. You dont have an induction kit of any sort do you?

Tags: