HELP! WHISTLE SOUND WHEN ACCELERATE!

Started by Anonymous, February 15, 2010, 16:07

Anonymous

Can you not get an experienced member near you to take a look?Where in the country are you?

Ilogik

other thing maybe, you didn't buy a turbo roadster did you?
Current: Genuine GT300 Monocraft running a 2ZZ-GE
Ex: Trial kitted Cam\'d Power fc
Ex: TRD stage 1 TTE Turbo

muffdan

lol, I think they mechanics would have noticed one of those in the engine bay  s:) :) s:)
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

Anonymous

lol they would be pretty stupid not to wouldn't they. I have an excuse for not knowing i'm female and i wasn't told it was!

I'm in bristol.

Both the mechanics i know look at my car for me on the side so they make their own money and I get it done cheaper,

so they look after work or on weekend and they're both saying they'll have to take the engine apart again which'll mean i'll be without it for like a week!

Well I gotta get around

they couldn't figure it out first time so i'm in two minds whether it's even worth it! That's my last option.

I'd rather someone be able to identify so i can plan what to do!

Anonymous

It's like no one's come across it before. It's ridiculously !

Some one somewhere must have had this problem it can't be the only screechy whistler one!

mrzwei

A week to change the inlet manifold gasket is a tad unrealistic. 6 hours, maybe 8 if you haven't done it on a 2 before?   s:scared: :scared: s:scared:  
Get it done then you will know for sure whether or not that is / was the problem. Just make sure they check the drive belt (fan belt) first.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

Anonymous

I already had it done  s:( :( s:(

That's the prob it isn't that so they wanna take it allllll apart to see.

Quote from: "mrzwei"A week to change the inlet manifold gasket is a tad unrealistic. 6 hours, maybe 8 if you haven't done it on a 2 before?   s:scared: :scared: s:scared:  
Get it done then you will know for sure whether or not that is / was the problem. Just make sure they check the brive belt (fan belt) first.

Anonymous

Its an outside possibility but if the chain tensioner has been messed with and extended to far so that the timing chain is too tight it will make a zzzzzzzzzzzzzerr  zzzzzzzzerr type noise a bit like a turbo.

Anonymous

This noise is like turbo gone wrong.

I wish I could record the sound and put it on here so you could hear

This is my best description, imagine you put your foot down:

SWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

s:crazyeyes: :crazyeyes: s:crazyeyes:  

under the whistle you can hear the nice sound of the engine.

And when it's wet it's more high pitch.

It doesn't sound like those silly fake turbo whistles it's more screechy.

The guy who had the car before said it's made the noise it since he bought it.

Anonymous

Has'nt got one of those stupid turbo whistle things in the exhaust?

Plus why did you buy it with an unidentified whistle?

Chris_h

does it do it throughout the revrange?

And based on doing it more when wet does point to some kind of ancilliary belt slippage.

My S2k makes a strange whistling noise at 2-40000 revs, but this seems to be the monster carbon intake system playing like an instrument through this revrange.

my money would be on intake or ancilliary belt or their pulley bearings
ex 02 Black, 00 Silver, 53 Black, 03 in silver - then s2000, civic type r, mini jcw, civic type r, Alfa Brera, z4 si coupe, now m135i. Still miss the 2 and will have another one someday....

Anonymous

lol that's a good question.

Because I went there with a mechanic from the area (got it from bournemouth) and they said it sounds like the cambelt or somin else beginin with c which would be max 200 to fix, and being a female i trusted the mechanic! To then find it doesn't even have a cambelt.

Nah i've had a new exhaust.

And everything else was spot on it doesn't look nearly 10 years old looks like 3, picked it up for a decent price.

Yes it doesn't do it when above 4. Did it do that each time u accelerated?

cclarke99

I'm based in Bristol (work on the Aztec West estate), I'd be happy to listen to it, might be able to help?

Dyn-Evo

Sounds like idler bearing worn, as mentioned...but could also be water pump bearing on the way out..?

Alternators can also make screeching noises when worn.....

Does it do it if the car is standing, or is it only when youre moving?

If its only when you're moving, it could be the gearbox.......

Does it do it whatever gear you're in........does it go away when you rev in neutral...?

So many questions.......!   s:D :D s:D
Current: 2006 Toyota Corolla T-Sport COMPRESSOR 215hp, Silver, totally stock!
EX]V6[/color]  \":-)\"   )
Black Leather interior, "micro-lip" rear spoiler, Refurbed OEM 15" Pewter Metallics, Cobra Quad-Exit, HEL SS braided hoses, EBC pads, AEM DryFlow CAI.
Ex: "NightHawk" MR2 Mk1 4AG-ZE AE101 S/C conversion (170hp), water injection
Ex: MR2 Mk1b stock 4AGE

E

Quote from: "Chris_h"My S2k makes a strange whistling noise at 2-40000 revs,

Christ Chris at 40000 revs mine would screech to.  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

Quote from: "cclarke99"I'm based in Bristol (work on the Aztec West estate), I'd be happy to listen to it, might be able to help?

You're joking! I only live in Bradley stoke! Love if you could have a listen when would u want to?

Quote from: "Dyn-Evo"Sounds like idler bearing worn, as mentioned...but could also be water pump bearing on the way out..?

Alternators can also make screeching noises when worn.....

Does it do it if the car is standing, or is it only when youre moving?

If its only when you're moving, it could be the gearbox.......

Does it do it whatever gear you're in........does it go away when you rev in neutral...?

So many questions.......!   s:D :D s:D

So many questions lol ask away I should arrange a toyota roadster owner meeting for this one!

It's whenever I put my foot down, whenever it's trying to speed up, if I have it in 4th gear at 35 or 5th gear at 40 it'll screechy whistle like a b*tch.

Dyn-Evo

Quote from: "danielle3989"It's whenever I put my foot down, whenever it's trying to speed up, if I have it in 4th gear at 35 or 5th gear at 40 it'll screechy whistle like a b*tch.

To clarify......it does it whenever the engine is revved (stationary/ neutral).......or only when the engine is under load, and the car is moving...?
Current: 2006 Toyota Corolla T-Sport COMPRESSOR 215hp, Silver, totally stock!
EX]V6[/color]  \":-)\"   )
Black Leather interior, "micro-lip" rear spoiler, Refurbed OEM 15" Pewter Metallics, Cobra Quad-Exit, HEL SS braided hoses, EBC pads, AEM DryFlow CAI.
Ex: "NightHawk" MR2 Mk1 4AG-ZE AE101 S/C conversion (170hp), water injection
Ex: MR2 Mk1b stock 4AGE

Anonymous

I had a screechy noise on mine once and it took a bit of finding, in the end it turned out to be a loose bracket on my exhaust system which made a washer scream like a banshee when accelerating   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

Quote from: "Dyn-Evo"
Quote from: "danielle3989"It's whenever I put my foot down, whenever it's trying to speed up, if I have it in 4th gear at 35 or 5th gear at 40 it'll screechy whistle like a b*tch.

To clarify......it does it whenever the engine is revved (stationary/ neutral).......or only when the engine is under load, and the car is moving...?

Sorry! Whenever revved! So stationary or moving...

Anonymous

Quote from: "Les"I had a screechy noise on mine once and it took a bit of finding, in the end it turned out to be a loose bracket on my exhaust system which made a washer scream like a banshee when accelerating   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Did it do this whenever u revved like mine? loose bracket hey, did it sound like an air leak?

Wabbitkilla

I'm wondering if it could be a stuck PCV or even the Carbon cannister.
I can definitely hear mine sucking through the cannister on take off, causes a rattle in the cannister itself at times.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

Anonymous

Quote from: "danielle3989"
Quote from: "Les"I had a screechy noise on mine once and it took a bit of finding, in the end it turned out to be a loose bracket on my exhaust system which made a washer scream like a banshee when accelerating   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Did it do this whenever u revved like mine? loose bracket hey, did it sound like an air leak?

Wouldn't say it sounded like an air leak but definitely a high pitched screech on acceleration or stationary revving  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

Do ya remember if it was worse when wet?

Were the mechanics kinda clueless when you first showed them then, how long did it take before it was discovered?

I'm gonna give her in monday to be searched again i'll mention loose bracket. Pain in the bum!

Anonymous

Found it myself.....Over thirty years workshop experience gives me an edge   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

Quote from: "Les"Found it myself.....Over thirty years workshop experience gives me an edge   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Oww wanna find what's blimin wrong with mine? lol not fair i wish i could do it myself like u did

Tags: