Busted roof frame

Started by Anonymous, March 2, 2004, 21:09

Anonymous

Right, I really feel like a 'proper' MR2 owner now: I've got problems with my car!

It went into Hill's at Bishops Stortford yesterday, as there was a tremendous rattling sound coming from the front: I thought it was the suspension. Turned out it wasn't that, but the main vent had come away from the bulkhead that runs behind the dash, and it was vibrating to buggery. Not a problem, the tech just fixed it back in place.

However (and now the really good bit!), when he took the car out for a test run, he heard another, much fainter rattling noise that couldn't be heard before, coming from the left hand side of the roof: he could also hear air rushing in from somewhere...

Turns out that some of the rivets used to join the frame together have popped straight out! I now need a brand new frame (which is on order), and the car has to go back in again for 2 days?!

So basically guys, has anyone else heard of this problem, and is 2 days in the workshop a little bit of overkill? Surely it can't take that long?

Anonymous

It took my dealer just over a week to fix my roof when it had to replaced under warranty. They ripped the first one, couldn't get it to close for the second one before finally sorting it after labouring on it for soon long. Thankfully they are not a Toyota dealer anymore.

Mind you pro-actively sorting noises is something special from a dealer.

Anonymous

I suggest you take digital pics of the old roof before it goes in specifically the headliner and the gaps all round but especially behind the door windows. I did this as I am so cynical but it was very lucky I did, as they clearly showed the new hood didn't fit properly as I could hold up the old and new pics side by side.

My roof had a tiny split in over the drivers window, and local dealer had 3 attempts to fit the new hood to the existing frame (5 days, 3 days, 2 days) and it still looked awful, the headlining was ruckled and looked terrible, and the gaps behind the window were too large and different each side. Not sure if i believe it but I was told Toyota will only pay 6 hours labour for warranty hood replacements.

After a fair amount of persuasion they admitted defeat and car went in a fourth time, and they took a complete roof off a new car and swapped it with mine, so at least it fitted well in the end.

Toyota should not be asking dealers to do this work as it is a job for a trimming expert, they should be arranging for frames to be recovered somewhere central and exchanging re-covered frames with dealers to simply bolt on when required.

I would also ask the dealer if they have re-covered a hood before, as if not then they need to allow 5 days to do this, and probably organise a Field Service Manager to supervise the work.

Anonymous

Cheers for the info guys.

Spoke to the dealer today, and the car's got to go in on the 15th for the whole week, but I'll definately be taking some pictures of the roof beforehand.

Really had to push them for a courtesy car though, which both surprised and annoyed me.   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:evil: :evil: s:evil:

Anonymous

I was told by Toyota that under the warranty we have no guarantee of a loan car, and this is down to the individual dealers good will !!!

Quite how you are supposed to manage without your car when it is having warranty work done is apparently not something Toyota have considered.

Maybe they hope you will buy several Toyota vehicles so you can use one of the others as each is being repaired under warranty ????

Anonymous

Well, they've got my baby.   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  

Have got a Yaris as a courtesy car: haven't driven it yet but the missus is... how can I put this without using the language she did... unimpressed?!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:   I'll have a go when she gets in from work...

Also getting the oil & air filter changed while it's there: amazing how quickly 5K miles come up!

With a bit of luck I should have the car back in a week: I'll keep you updated.

Anonymous

Yaris?  
I had a 1.0 TSpirit for a couple of weeks while my previous car was in for repair.  I was really impressed.  Lovely ride; nice, progressive, predictable on-the-limit handling; revvy, quiet, engine making it fast enough.  I thought that 5000rpm at 90mph would be tiring but it was fine because the engine was quiet.  Drove 500 miles in one day and not a hint of back ache.  

Also had a shorter drive in a T Sport a couple of months back - that is a real hoot.  Not terribly fast but really chuckable in a FWD sort of way.  

I say cane the Yaris to within an inch of its life and you'll enjoy it.

Andy

Anonymous

Quote from: "Andy S"I say cane the Yaris to within an inch of its life and you'll enjoy it.

no other way to do it or you just dont go anywhere!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

Well, I had a go in said Yaris and... I actually really enjoyed it!

Fine, it's not that quick, but when you really rev the bollocks out of it it's eminently chuckable.   s8) 8) s8)  

I managed to get the missus grabbing onto the seat for dear life, so I must have been doing something right...   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Typical though: the week the '2 goes into Mr T, is the week the sun decides to come out and play!   s:evil: :evil: s:evil:

Anonymous

Yaris is gone, and my '2 is back.  s8) 8) s8)  

And it's finally noise free! The roof frame has been replaced down at Mr T's trim fitting place (where ever that is) and the it's all been put back together properly as well.

I'm well impressed with Hill's in Stortford, my first (only?   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  ) warrenty repair, and it was completed with the minimum of hassle. Another happy customer!   s:D :D s:D

Tags: