HELP - Disaster No.1 !

Started by AC, February 19, 2010, 16:01

AC

Well I'm already up s**t street on the CC install  s:( :( s:( .  Whilst re-routing the oil feed to the turbo I removed what I now know is an alloy bolt and possibly pressure restrictor, re-fitted it and proceeded to tighten, then, SNAP  s:scared: :scared: s:scared: .

The only thing I can think is that it might go back on without the washers and have just enough thread depth, but I doubt it.

Any idea's if this is something that can be bought???  Without it I'm pretty much knack'd.

[size=85]The famous Walter Rohrl once said "Stay away from rear-wheel-drive cars unless.......", I had to agree on one particular occasion, but we did live happily ever after (apart from the trousers, they were a write off).

markiii

a local pirtek might be able to help you

failing that Demon Tweeks or Merlin Motorsport will likely be able to assist

I assume there is a banjo fitting that it goes through?

it should be relatively easy to replace, be glad you didn't end up with teh sheared bit stuck in teh threads thats an absolute pain in the balls
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

muffdan

they can be bought, turbo technics sell them:

m http://www.turbotechnics.com/ m

There's probably other suppliers, but I know I've had a few from them in the past. You'll need to know what size restrictor that is, or take a recommendation from them! They're familiar with the 1zz, so if you tell them what turbo you have, they can probably tell you want you need.
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

AC

Just tried Turbo Technics - not exactly helpful, "we don't sell fittings"......

Off to local Pirtek Agent now, not feeling too confident on this one.

[size=85]The famous Walter Rohrl once said "Stay away from rear-wheel-drive cars unless.......", I had to agree on one particular occasion, but we did live happily ever after (apart from the trousers, they were a write off).

markiii

m http://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/advan ... banjo+bolt m

just pick teh size you need
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

AC

Quote from: "markiii"http://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=banjo+bolt

just pick the size you need

Cheers Mark.  Had left for Pirtek before I read this (Pirtek can't supply either).

I think I have also found the exact part from a Japanese ebay seller who offers IHI turbo oil feed kits.  The fitting is M10 x 1.5 pitch thread, 20mm long under head, 1.5mm restrictor, 14mm hex head.

The Merlin type appear very similar, just with much bigger restrictor hole, something like 3mm.  The turbo housing centre in which this fitting screws appears to have a further 1.5mm restrictor before the oil enters the main shaft area.  Even as a temporary (as I've also ordered the one from Japan) do you think the extra flow of the 3mm restrictor on the banjo bolt will cause any problems, such as excessive oil supply?

Thanks for your help Mark and Jason.

markiii

too much flow on a ball bearing turbo can blow teh oil seals

I'm not sure though if the Apexi is a ball bearing though

That said all HAss kits left teh factory with sod all restrictor, and whilst they run better with one, we never killed a turbo without

short answer, long term get a properly sized one, short term to allow you to drive it probably won't be an issue

suggest you order a couple once you find teh exact part

Tags: