Cat back pipe

Started by mrzwei, February 21, 2010, 21:37

mrzwei

Ok, will shortly, after mot, be installing a Che cat back pipe.
I've already been running a Che manifold for some time.
Issue: The pipe doesn't have any inserts for the crush gaskets, manifold to down pipe and I can't remember whether or not there are any inserts in the Che manifold. Obviously when I take it apart I will find out, but if anyone has done this already then I would appreciate any pointers.
Even flat surface to flat surface then, using sealer, you could probably get a seal or ,flat to flat, just making up a 'traditional' gasket will work but any first hand info will be appreciated. (I have searched and found a bit of info but not specifically what I am looking for).
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

DannyN

I can say that just using sealer isnt a great plan as it just sets hard and then after a couple of hundred miles it will shatter and bits will fall causing your joint to blow.
Quote from: \"DannyN\"There are 10 types of people in the world,
Those who understand Binary and those that don\'t...

[size=75]Black 51 165 BHP - Hardtop ON - Teins - Apexi Power FC - AEM Induction (Cleaned) - Crower Cams - Forged Pistons - Iridium Plugs - Zero Manifold - SP Downpipe - H&S - TRD SS - Corkys MSMB - Goodridge - \'03 Vents - Devs - Bamas - Crystal Indies - Mongos.
[/size]

mrzwei

Just been searching around and I think I've described this incorrectly. What I'm actually talking about is a cat replacement pipe, ie you remove the cat and replace it with a straight through bit between the manifold and the silencer (was offered for sale as a down pipe which is probably the correct description). Cat back refers to everything behind the cat (fucking obvious really   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  ).
I would use any sealant with a gasket, or is that a bad idea?
One of you guys / gals must have added one of these to your 2.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

Anonymous

I think if I remember rightly the Che manifold may have a recess otherwise just get a washer slightly thinner than the standard crush gaskets and fit between the manifold and the downpipe, you'll need three one for each stud, they should stop you over crushing the gasket.

This is a SP downpipe with a 200 cel cat fitted - best option to get through an MOT with by the way.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Rob

Tags: