Clearcoat peeling

Started by vatovey, February 21, 2010, 21:59

vatovey

Evening all,

Noticed that the clearcoat lacquer on my passenger door is starting to peel by the window.

What are the solutions (if any) to repair or stop it getting any worse.

Thanks, Vaughn.

Sepp

Looks like it is a repair job that wasn't done properly? I. e. the clear coat was put on when the color coat was too dry already?
The fix is to cut it back and do it again - hope i'm wrong.

E

Get yourself along to the ding day and see the paint man im sure that he will be able to sort it for you.

vatovey

just looked at that is the events section, looks good... as got a very small ding which could be looked at aswell  s:) :) s:)

not sure if anyone would know, but what would be a rough cost to sort the clearcoat peeling at the ding day ?

Anonymous

To do that job correctly you really need to have the complete panel sprayed which should also means taking the window rubber and any other parts off - handles etc to ensure the paint gets correctly applied, that's why you've have the problem now it's just been masked off at the rubber line and if there was no key put on the base paint the clearcoat lifts.

Could cost up to £150 - £250 for a good job.

Rob.

vatovey

holy smoke   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:

Was hoping it would be cheap  s:( :( s:(

After spending the best part of £300 on the car during the last few weeks, I think I will look for a cheaper solution.

Do you think a fine line of clearcoat painted on the peel line will prevent the problem speading, I know its not the best solution - am just thinking it could be a cheap solution and prevent it from spreading.

Wasn't even aware the door had been damaged / repaired in the past   s:( :( s:(  

Is it possible this this kind of peeling could happen to factory clearcoat / lacquer ?

SimonC_Here

My front bumper is peeling, just below the headlight. I'm guessing a bump happened and it broke the clear coat off the paint.
I got a rattle can set from Toyota and sprayed it over.
It looks pretty rough but hasn't peeled any more. I should really rub it down and add some more thin coats to do it properly.

Anonymous

Quote from: "vatovey"holy smoke   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:

Was hoping it would be cheap  s:( :( s:(

After spending the best part of £300 on the car during the last few weeks, I think I will look for a cheaper solution.

Do you think a fine line of clearcoat painted on the peel line will prevent the problem speading, I know its not the best solution - am just thinking it could be a cheap solution and prevent it from spreading.

Wasn't even aware the door had been damaged / repaired in the past   s:( :( s:(  

Is it possible this this kind of peeling could happen to factory clearcoat / lacquer ?

You could ask about a smart repair but I think you would still be looking at £90 +, the thing is you will not know how bad it is until you start rubbing it back, but I still think they would spray the complete panel to give you some kind of warranty.

Rob.

roger

I think that would be too big a job for the ding day, least ways it would take the paint guy away too long for other members demands.

If you feel you can't afford a proper job just yet, I suggest you follow Simon's view to keep it looking "not too bad" and save up for the inevitable.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Tags: