Tyre dilemna

Started by andy2407, February 21, 2010, 23:48

andy2407

Sorry for another tyre post but I would appreciate your advice...

I've just bought a 52 plate pre-facelift car ( l viewtopic.php?f=9&t=28497 l ) and I have read the advice on here about mis-matched tyres.

At present the car has...

Front - 185/55/15 Pirelli P6000
Rear - 205/50/15 Firestone Firehawk SZ80

Not good, so my first thought was to buy two tyres - either to get the fronts to match the rear or the rears to match the front.

The best price I've found for two Pirtelli P6000 is £152 (delivered from BlackCircles), and so far I haven't found any Firestone SZ80s in the size I need so that may not be an option.

However, neither of these tyres get particularly good reviews so I have a sneaky suspicion most of you are going to tell me to get a full set of four new tyres!

Options so far for this approach are four Kumho KU31 Ecsta Sport (£168 delivered from Camskill) or four Toyo T1R Proxes (£199 delivered from Camskill).

Comments please.

JudoKilli

I don't usually comment on tyre advice, seeing as I don't know a lot about them and I've only ever driven on 2 different sets, but the answer here to me seems simple.

£199 for FOUR tyres which will be the correct sizes and have great reviews throughout the MR2ROC community,
or,
£152 for TWO tyres which have had some very bad reviews IIRC.

Unless you really can't spend the extra £47 on two more tyres, then I'd suggest the 4 Toyos from Camskill option is the best   s:) :) s:)  

I might be proven totally wrong though, like I said, I've only ever driven on two sets of tyres (one set on the '2) and the only reason I'm posting is to stop myself from doing boring uni work   s8) 8) s8)

Wabbitkilla

+1 Sounds pretty sensible to me.
The Toyos are a well proven tyre.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

stargazer30

Very important check the tyre pressures as tyre fitters will get them wrong as the 2 was weird pressures vs your everyday car.  32psi rear and 26psi front.  Its not uncommon for the fitter to put the front up the same as the rear and its understeer city  :-) :-) :-)

£200 for four tyres is superb!  I just payed £168 for 2 x front bridgestones!

David
2003 Silver MR2 - Very Very Standard + Leccy Renault Zoe aka the battery mobile.
Ex Blue 04 MR2 - TTE Turbo\'d ~185bhp/200lbs/ft, Sports Clutch, Breast Plate, Lowered & half decent audio
Ex Silver 05 MR2 -  SP turbo conversion 227bhp, 205lbs/ft, with  cobra dual exit exhaust.

Wabbitkilla

Toyos are good tyres, not without their limitations - you need to use a bit more pressure in the back to overcome the softer sidewalls (typically 26Fr 36RR does the trick nicely). They "might not" last as long the bridgestones but overall because of their prices they're darned good value for money and they grip a lot better than the Bridgestones especially in the wet   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  .
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

diddy

i have the khumo ecsta sport tryes on mine which i find great prices from camskill are

185/55/r15 £37.60
205/50/r15 £41.38

Or a lot of members here rate the toyo t1rs which are

185/55/r15 £43.65
205/50/r15 £56.60

here is a link

m http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m53b0s0p0 m

andy2407

Thanks everyone for your responses so far.

I think you have all pretty much confirmed what I knew anyway which is it makes a lot more sense to go for a set of four well respected and recommended tyres rather than trying to complete a set of my current ditchfinders!

So I guess the decision is down to Kumho KU31 (£167) vs Toyo T1R (£199),

I will have fitting costs on top but of course this will be the same whichever way I go.

@ diddy - I used Camskill for the prices I mentioned but I'm seeing the 205/50/r15 Toyos at £51.09. Not sure where you got your £56.60 from?

muffdan

just remember that the T1R takes a long time to scrub in, up to 500 miles depending on how you drive (5 miles in my case  s:) :) s:)  )
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

diddy

sorry Andy my mistake yes £51.09 they are

roger

Quote from: "muffdan"just remember that the T1R takes a long time to scrub in, up to 500 miles

What Jason means is getting rid of the release agent and down to proper rubber.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

newboi

Can get T1R's fully fitted for £229 from tyretraders.com
[size=85]2000 Roadster
Amuse lightweight manifold, AEM Cold Air Induction, eBay exhaust, Tein S.Tech springs, Lenso RS5 alloys, Toyo T1Rs[/size]

dj2k21

hmmmmm well although I totally agree with what people are saying with regards to TOYO.
For me the only tyre to use is the Toyo R888. I have them in 18" and with staggered widths, and IMHO they grip alot better than most tyres even in the wet. especially for the turbo boys where more grib is essential.
you will find it never hurts to ask a dealer if they do discount for club members?
I get 15% off the last set of 888's I bought for saying I was in japnortheast and that was from C&S tyres in middlesbrough,
I love the sporty squared off shape of the side wall, and the tread pattern is brilliant. they are available in 2 compunds, the softer one do wear out prety quickely, espcecially with "enthusiastic" driving. but the slightly harder ones are brilliant, and I will always be using them although it has been rumoured that they will not be selling these any longer soon and will be track use only. but for now, there legal, so I would pay the exta for them.

just my 2p worth  s:) :) s:)
[size=85]Veilside Fortune Kit| Veilside Andrew Racing Wheels| Veilside Pro-Drag Exhaust | MWR Stage 4 Race Built Engine | FRD Custom Turbo Conversion | Veilside Turbo Manifold | Link G4 ECU | Flocked & Leather Trimmed Interior | Cobra Misano Seats | Cobra 4 Point Harnesses | Face Lift Front & Rear Lights | Corky\'s Breast Plate | C-one Rear Strut Brace | C-one Engine Damper | Speed Source Engine Mount Inserts | Tein Super Street Coilovers & EDFC | Defi Oil Pressure & Boost Gauges & Daisy Chain Control Unit | BMC Air Intake | D2 8 Pot Big Brake Conversion | Plus Much Much More![/size]

Anonymous

Have ordered T1Rs from camskill for my 06 facelift, £187.67 delivered to my local mr T who will fit them whilst servicing the car for £7.33 a corner.

Total all in is £216.99, cheaper than tyretraders plus thats facelift sizes.

andy2407

Quote from: "newboi"Can get T1R's fully fitted for £229 from tyretraders.com
Thanks for the TyreTraders link.

Their delivered cost is £181 which is a good bit cheaper than Camskill's price of £199 delivered.

Just need to do a deal for fitting with my local tyre place, although the TyreTraders price works out at £12 a corner which isn't bad.

newboi

Quote from: "andy2407"Thanks for the TyreTraders link.

Their delivered cost is £181 which is a good bit cheaper than Camskill's price of £199 delivered.

Just need to do a deal for fitting with my local tyre place, although the TyreTraders price works out at £12 a corner which isn't bad.

I'm glad u saved a bit of cash.  I've just ordered Toyo T1R's to be fitted on Saturday   s:D :D s:D
[size=85]2000 Roadster
Amuse lightweight manifold, AEM Cold Air Induction, eBay exhaust, Tein S.Tech springs, Lenso RS5 alloys, Toyo T1Rs[/size]

Haslamr2

Quote from: "newboi"
Quote from: "andy2407"Thanks for the TyreTraders link.

I'm glad u saved a bit of cash.  I've just ordered Toyo T1R's to be fitted on Saturday   s:D :D s:D

Just had mine put on today! Used to have the OEM Yoko's, they're not as pointy but the cost saving outweighs that. Plus i think i need to play with the pressures to find what fits best. Currently have 28 in front and 36 in rears 195 50 & 225 40's by the way. is this too high anyone??   s:? :? s:?
[size=75]05 MR2 1.8 VVT-i Roadster Red Spec Edit, TTE Dual exhaust TTE Lowering springs
Ali Larter in the passenger seat...lovin it!!! [/size]

andywood

Hi Andy

Only just seen this post - hope you are enjoying the new car so far?!

I have T1Rs on mine and am very happy with them as an all round tyre, but they do have very soft sidewalls as you have probably read elsewhere on here.
After scrubbing in and finding the right pressures (F:26 R:36 on mine) you do start to get used to them, but the next time i need new tyres i am going to try something different to get a back to back comparison for the sidewall issue. I was going to go for Falken ZE912 next time, but that is a very good price on the Kumho's.
When i first had my T1Rs put on it literally felt like i was momentarily losing the back end going round corners (even slight ones...  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  ). With the very direct steering and handling on the '2 you do feel everything about the car and what connects it to the road.

Please don't get me wrong, they are a great all round tyre, look good and i am very happy with them. I will just try something different next time to expand my tyre knowledge on the '2 which is a very tyre-sensitive car.

Get the T1Rs and see what you think, most of the people on the bandwagon on here can't be too wrong about them   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Andy.
2003 Silver + Stuff = [strike]235bhp/225lbft[/strike],  + rethink = 195bhp

Tags: