Air filter elements

Started by Anonymous, June 26, 2003, 11:39

Anonymous

What have people's experience with replacement air filter elements (stock airbox) been. I noticed that Hardcore had dropped in the K+N filter - how easy is it to do (anyone have pictures), and apart from sound, are there any other benefits?    Thanks,

Mike

Anonymous

The K&N replacement filter element isn't too expensive, and when you consider they're good for a million miles or something daft like that, you'll probably actually save money in the long term.

The fitting is very easy, just pop the top of the air box and drop it in.  It's a bit of a tight squeeze under the strut brace IIRC but not too tricky.  Check out this for a decent guide, with pictures, for doing the installation.

In terms of benefits, well the sound is a bit nicer certainly, from inside the car it is more noticable than outside I have found.  I remember at the time thinking the engine seemed to rev a bit more freely but I concede that this may be a placebo effect.  If there;s any improvement in power/economy etc (which there probably is) it is too small to really notice.  A dyno may show some change in the shape of the power & torque curves but I wouldn't really know.

HTH

--H--

zud

Anyone know if this would count as a "mod" to an insurance company?
Blue SMT with leather, A/C and TTE Twin.

Anonymous

No it doesn't.  OEM paper filters need replacing, you're just replacing yours with a non-disposible one that's all.

--H--

Jap GT300

TRD make one!

Ricoh racing also made one but I understand that they have now gone out of business!

Adam

Anonymous

Quote from: "Jap GT300"TRD make one!
They sure do, but it's more expensive and more difficult to get hold of than K&N.

--H--

mph

Quote from: "Jap GT300"Ricoh racing also made one but I understand that they have now gone out of business!
Woah! This is major news if true.   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  Can you confirm?
[size=92]Martin[/size][size=75]
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S
'01 Black MR2 Roadster SMT turbo[/size]

Tem

Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

Taken from another website...

This was the shock of the day. The standard Momo filter gave 4bhp when we drilled holes in the air box we got an average of 5.5bhp increase, with one run actually giving us 7bhp. This would be the cheapest option for people on a budget. A Momo or K&N replacement  filter will save you money in the long term and drilling holes costs you nothing.

... has anyone tried this on their '2?

Anonymous

OH SHUDDER NNOOOOO!!!!!   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:!: :!: s:!:  

I saw this done on some other cars a couple of years back... looks nasty as hell and i know i would NEVER drill holes in mine pride and joy!

Jap GT300

How about, cut out the top section and replace with mesh?

Anonymous

wouldnt the filter get realy blocked up and surely it would then be sucking in hot air from the engine as the plastic case would offer some protection   s:? :? s:?

mph

Quote from: "Leahcim"Taken from another website...

This was the shock of the day. The standard Momo filter gave 4bhp when we drilled holes in the air box we got an average of 5.5bhp increase, with one run actually giving us 7bhp. This would be the cheapest option for people on a budget. A Momo or K&N replacement  filter will save you money in the long term and drilling holes costs you nothing.

Absolute load of rubbish. I await any independant proof that any aftermarket airfilter will increase hp.
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S

juansolo

Absolutely right.  They can make it sound nicer but that's about as far as it goes on it's own.  The induction kit on my MX-5 actually sapped power as it sucked hot air in from the engine bay.  I took it off after a year and could feel the difference between it and the stock airbox.  It did sound nice though...
[size=75]Porsche Cayman - Curvy (almost) perfection
Juno SSE-CN - Bonkers track thing
Mercedes 190E - Das Uberbarge still going strong[/size]

GSB

Quote from: "mph"
Quote from: "Leahcim"Taken from another website...

Absolute load of rubbish. I await any independant proof that any aftermarket airfilter will increase hp.

Actually I've seen this somewhere recently, I think it was done on old VW Golf GTi's or something similar, but there was a photo of an airbox with several large holes drilled in the inlet half of the box that were apparently facing directly into the front grille of the car. I can believe it would work on some front engine cars, as the iduction paths on some are ridiculously convuluted. Theres not enough cold arflow into the MR2 engine bay though, so I dont think this is a mod I'll be carrying out...
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

mph

Quote from: "GSB"Actually I've seen this somewhere recently, I think it was done on old VW Golf GTi's or something similar, but there was a photo of an airbox with several large holes drilled in the inlet half of the box that were apparently facing directly into the front grille of the car.
The filter probably needed changing anyway.</cynical>

SteveJ & I where playing with the inlet side of the intake while we had full use of the dyno at Millway. Swapping bits in and out made no difference measured power output of the engine.

If you're looking solely at performance, I wouldn't bother messing with the stock system as it's perfectly adequate for this engine. The biggest single performance increase you can get is by getting a Unichip and getting the engine tuned with super unleaded. The CAT & silencer are fairly restrictive, though that will only effect the top end.
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S

Anonymous

Hardcore

Could you please post details of your K&N filter pad element supplier ie name, address and tel/web site?
 w www.DCDezign.com w  have quoted £35.88 incl delivery.
Motorsportworld want £46.50.

s:) :) s:)    s:) :) s:)

Anonymous

IIRC I got my K&N filter from http://www.filterpower.co.uk.  I'm afraid I can't remeber how much it cost, IIRC they send you a quote by email.

HTH

--H--

Anonymous

Just been reading what you guys have said about drilled airboxes, i used to own Eddy Jordans (Irish F1 bloke) vw golf GTI and the air box was drilled on that below the K&N std filter element it was much quicker than a normal golf GTI and that was the only mod on it. Mabe it does work??

Anonymous

w www.filterpower.co.uk w  want £43.70 inc p&p

Anonymous

Quote from: "keninski"www.filterpower.co.uk want £43.70 inc p&p
Eeep!

I don't think I paid that much but it was a while back so I can't remember.  I'm not even sure if that's where I got mine in the end!

Sorry!

s:? :? s:?  

--H--

Anonymous

Quote from: "GSB"
Quote from: "mph"
Quote from: "Leahcim"Taken from another website..

QuoteI can believe it would work on some front engine cars, as the iduction paths on some are ridiculously convuluted. ...

That was the case on my old Astra 1.4 16V they restricted airflow by making the path a whopping 13 FEET long.

They did this because the engine is more tuneable than the 1.6 and has been known to be highly tuned to 180BHP.

They thought no1 would buy the 1.6 hence the restriction!!

Anonymous

Hi all.

The pillock at DCDezign made a mistake when quoting for a K&N panel filter. He omitted to include p&p. The correct price is £40.00.
They say that they will beat ANY like-for-like quote so has anybody got any contacts  s:?: :?: s:?:   K&N's RRP is £41.47 incl VAT, obviously excl postage.

s:) :) s:)    s:) :) s:)

Jap GT300

Sard also make a drop in filter try contacting http://www.irs.co.jp or Japanparts of course.

Adam

Tem

Quote from: "mph"Absolute load of rubbish. I await any independant proof that any aftermarket airfilter will increase hp.

I recently dynoed my car and got 149hp. The operator was interested in the car and since no one was coming to the dyno after me, he did another pull for free. We took the stock filter off (and closed the airbox and kept every original plastic pipe), hoping to break into 150hp  s:) :) s:)  But we got 149hp again...

I really doubt that ANY airfilter will flow better than no filter at all. So I don't think you'll ever see that proof, mph  s;) ;) s;)

I'm not saying that you can't get any hp from intake. Once you change the intake piping, it's another story...but you won't get anything with just replacing the stock filter.
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Tags: