2x10" Subs vs Amp'd Comps

Started by Anonymous, March 3, 2004, 22:54

Anonymous

Have seen a deal for the following, want some advice:

Quote1 x JBL 300.1 amplifier, 2 x kicker 10" COMP Subwoofers

Detailed description
For more than 50 years, JBLs mission has been to develop and refine audio products that satisfy the most demanding enthusiast. In the studio, in concert, at the movies, or on tour, JBL is everywhere sound matters. JBL PowerValve series amplifiers deliver pure, clean power with the soul of JBL pro gear. The PowerValve P-300.1 features a high-efficiency Switching power supply that draws far less current from your vehicles electrical system. PowerValve amplifiers are also 2-ohm optimized, and can run a 1-ohm load with ease. The "Direct Connect" terminal block power connectors allow for either 8 gauge or 4 gauge power wire, and the die-cast aluminum heat sink uses the entire amp footprint for efficient cooling. Plus, the buttoned black chassis with embossed JBL logo has an awesome, menacing look.

Mono Channel, 300 W x 1, 150w x 1 RMS With Bass Boost, S/N Ratio: 90 dB,
Subs:

2 x 10" Competition Subwoofer 4 ohm 300 watts

Or some decent comps that are amp'd.

That sub setup is a compromise and is only £200 inc delivery.

What you think?

PS think i am keping car now.

Anonymous

it depends on if you want to lose your storage???
are you going to the treasure hunt at the end of march?if you can wait till then you can have a look at mine.
i didnt want to lose the storage so i have gone for a basslink 10" sub which can be removed in 5 minutes if i need the space back.
it still needs tidying up a bit and adding a few finishing touches but i am so glad i put a sub in the car.

Anonymous

I'm not too worried about losing the space but it DOES have to removable and can't damage the car (re-sale) values  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

Anonymous

i think 2 10" are out of the question.i am no expert im just goin on what i have done.
http://www.newimagecarhifi.co.uk/product_info.php?prodId=500&catId=11
this is the basslink unit,it just fits niceley in the passenger side storage bin and is very loud.

Anonymous

What i was considering doing was taking the locker doors off and having the two subs mopunted in the corners facing diagnally into the car with fibrglass between them........

Do you hide that sub or does it look nice?

Anonymous

If you can close the door and hide that then i will prob got for that. Cheers mate, good find  s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

Let me know if you can lol.

Anonymous

Or there is this option....

m http://www.newimagecarhifi.co.uk/produc ... 7&catId=11 m

SONY CDX-L480X

JBL BTX250

AMP WIRING

SONY CDX-L480X :- CD Tuner, RDS, 4X45w,1 RCA PREOUT,CD-R/RW Playback, CD Text, EQ3 & Face off panel. JBL BTX-250 :- 2x10" Subwoofers combined with a built in amplifier and housed in a specfic enclosure, 300w peak 100w rms. Amplifier wiring kit for the JBL BTX250 to connect to Sony CDXL480X

Anonymous

its hidden.what i initially did was had 2 6*9's in the doors but it wasnt enough.so i decided to go for the sub.but when i put it in i couldnt close the storage doors because of the thickness of the sub,so i mounted both 6*9's in the drivers side storage door and put a normal speaker grille over the cut out hole in the passenger door.
so when you look into the car your cant tell that it is any different until you have the roof down and can see the speaker grilles in the storage doors.
i hope that isnt to confusing????
that sub is way to big.tried it myself and wouldnt fit.

Anonymous

Ahhh so you have to modify the doors then?

Bugger   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:

Anonymous

So............do you mean it'd fit if you didn't have the 6x9's in there?

MRMike

The infinity Basslink is a much better active sub IMHO than than that particular JBL one.  The electronics are not as advanced as the Infinity, and is 100watt RMS less. The JBL is much much bigger as well...and looks like a gun out of MIB.  Don't forget the Basslink originally cost £600 when it first came out..i know! its a veritable bargain at current prices.
[size=75]*Sold 03 UK spec, silver, Red Interior TTE Twin, Euro spoiler, TTE Chrome roll bar, Blitz Induction, VVTI Badged, Pioneer SAT Nav/DAB Tuner, Boston Acoustics Components, Boston amp, Gtech Pro C, TRD Gearknob, B&M linkage, Bama Deflector, Chrome dials, Corky Breast Plate, TTE springs,

Then.. Blue 350Z
and den....black S2000 with red leather interior  
and den.... New Imola Orange S2000
and den.....BMW Z4 3.0 - Understeer!!!![/size]
NOW M3 V8

Anonymous

I just need final confirmation whether or not it'll fit in the lcokers, if it does then i'll buy it......if not then i'm not so sure....  s:? :? s:?

Anonymous

These are the dimnesions:

Dimensions: 369x318x216mm

Anonymous

I thought i would stick my 2p in at this stage.
Although my install is not as asthetically pleasing as some would like, it is exactly what i was after. What it looks like does not affect the sound!!!

Im sure some of our more technically minded members will back me up when i say that for subs to work to their optimum there is a certain capacity the box must be. Hence you cannot just place them in the corners.

I was also didnt want to affect the cars resale value so i had the install done so it could be easily removed. I have kept all the compartment components so it can be put back as standard, plus i didn't want the hassle of sourcing new locker doors after i cut holes in them.

And lastly as many of the other members i don't keep my car in a garage, so security was at the forefront of my thoughts. Mine is all covered and unless you actually have a 2 and know that their should be rear storage their it just looks like a rear bulkhead.

Although this may appear to be a rant on your post about what was writen about my install, it is merely my humble opinion and possibly some good advice about your future plans...

GSB

Quote from: "Coley"Although my install is not as asthetically pleasing as some would like, it is exactly what i was after. What it looks like does not affect the sound!!!...

...Although this may appear to be a rant on your post about what was writen about my install,...

Dont take it personally Coley, its just a few people, (myself included  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  ) coming over a bit critical about Bass Junkies workmanship. The "faults" pointed out will certainly have no effect on the sound quality and are all out completely out of sight once your bulkhead cover is in place. And, as you say, it how it sounds that really counts...

Bigun, If I were you I'd look at Busters new project, whereby only a small part of the rear storage is lost and a very neat looking sub install with the correct volume box will be achieved. Failing that, wait a few weeks and go to one of the meets, where you'll be able to compare the relative plus and minus points of several different options, including a Coley style, full rear luggage locker conversion for serious Bassheads who go on holiday with nothing but a toothbrush, a discreet, luggage friendly Underdash sub installation, and if Buster has one ready, you may even see his solution that offers a little of both worlds.

Personaly though, as cheap as it is, I wouldnt settle for a "bolt in" solution such as the one discussed above. Something as unique as the MR2 is begging for an bespoke installation to maximize the use of space. These aren't designed with the MR2 in mind!
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Anonymous

sorry i havnt replied.be busy.to answer your ? i have not had to modify the doors to get the basslink unit in.i have just modified them for the 6*9's.sorry if i was a bit unclear but the only reason the doors wouldnt shut was because of the 6*9 modification not the bass unit.
hope that clears things up.

Anonymous

Cool, well its sat next to me ATM am going to fit it tomorrow.

How did you mount it in the storage bin mate?

Cheers

Anonymous

heres where the fun begins  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
it will only go in the passenger side.take out the bit on the far right that says "if you wish to put a large bag in please remove"(it just clips out)
i mounted it with the wires side facing towards the left hand side of the car.
only put the 2 brackets on the top, dont put them on the bottom as the plastic tray isnt big enough.once you have wired everything in and set up the unit as per the instructions you can do 1 of 2 things.angle the speaker so the 2 brackets are touch the back of the storage bin and then screw them into the back or just angle the unit and use the 2 straps that are in the bottom of the storage bins to hold it in place.(i have done both but if you have a slight knocking sound you need to screw the unit down)if you need any pictures let me know and i will try and pm you some.
i hope you will be as pleased as i am when you get it up and running.

Anonymous

can you post the pics as the set up sounds good

Anonymous

Lee (Jelbe) and i installed it today, i would say this morning, but it was all day   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:shock: :shock: s:shock:   You are a star mate THANKS!!

Mine isn't workin yet as my new headunit isn't here but it sounded cool.

James.

LeeUK

Quote from: "bigun007"Lee (Jelbe) and i installed it today, i would say this morning, but it was all day   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:shock: :shock: s:shock:   You are a star mate THANKS!!

Mine isn't workin yet as my new headunit isn't here but it sounded cool.

James.

No problem mate, if you need help again give me a bell.

Ps. Don't post any pictures until the vinyle is trimmed and fits right else we'll get flamed!   s:flame: :flame: s:flame:
[size=100]JELBE[/size]
MR2 Roadster 2zz Track/Racecar Project ......2% complete......

MR2ROC Go-Karting Champion 2005
[/color]

Anonymous

Yeah i was thinking of doing summit a little more spectacular than that, so watch this space   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Tags: