Brake discs

Started by Wabbitkilla, February 28, 2010, 13:44

Wabbitkilla

Well my EBC disks are two years old nearly and the grooves have worn off the inside surface of the fronts so i'm now getting the bands of death appearing.
Not bad though, they have done a lot of miles.

So i'm looking at replacing them, but has the price gone up or something?

Anyway always on the lookout for alternatives i found Venom motorsport sell EBC and their own versions.
linky

Has anyone tried their disks before?
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

E

Nick if you decide to stick with the EBC disks I bought mine from these about a month back and couldn't find them any cheaper anywhere else.
 m http://www.buypartsby.co.uk m

mrzwei

If it's any use as a reference point, Toyota charged me £61.29 per disc + vat in April 07 (Had me by the short and curlies).
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

andywood

How many miles roughly was it to kill the EBC discs?? Two years seems pretty short, but then i haven't run grooved ones until i got the EBCs.

Andy.
2003 Silver + Stuff = [strike]235bhp/225lbft[/strike],  + rethink = 195bhp

Wabbitkilla

over 40k miles.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from

loadswine

I was going through this stuff after having a look at my discs yesterday. Mine aren't too bad, but was also thinking of replacing mine. I've noticed that the Mk1 and 2 chaps have more to choose from. Was looking at EBC Red Stuff pads, but they never seem to be available for both front and rear on the Roadster.
Interestingly my rear pads have worn down quicker than my fronts , not experienced that on this car before.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

E

Ive noticed that about the redstuff pads, they only seem to be available for the rear and it seems to me that it would be a really bad idea to put ceramic pads on the rear and not the fronts.

Wabbitkilla

First set op pads were black stuff, they were ok.
Second set were Greenstuff, they were better but take a little warming up.

Thanks for that link Ian, a little bit cheaper than i've found so far and i've ordered a full set with Greenstuff pads.

Two's Company

are rears needed?

Wabbitkilla

I've ordered them as a precaution as i can see a bit of corrosion appearing in a band on one of the surfaces.

Better safe than sorry with brakes eh?  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Wabbitkilla

Quote from: "E"Nick if you decide to stick with the EBC disks I bought mine from these about a month back and couldn't find them any cheaper anywhere else.
 m http://www.buypartsby.co.uk m

Well, ordered online on the 28th Feb, still no sign of them.
Range them today and took ages to answer and he's checking with the wharehouse.

Jigwar

Quote from: "Wabbitkilla"Well, ordered online on the 28th Feb, still no sign of them.
Range them today and took ages to answer and he's checking with the wharehouse.

Interesting - I ordered from http://www.ebcbrakesltd.co.uk/ as they were even cheaper. This was on the 14th Feb and I was going to recommend on here, but then they didn't turn up until last week (4th March) so thought I'd hold fire on the recommendation. I had to ring them to chase, but they were pretty good thereafter about keeping me in the loop - apparently they had to wait for a batch of rears to come in from EBC overseas.

Steve
Jigwar
Past: \'51 plate
Present: \'06 plate TTET\'ed

onion86

Quote from: "Jigwar"Interesting - I ordered from http://www.ebcbrakesltd.co.uk/ as they were even cheaper.
Steve

I can only find £82 on ebc site for normal discs but they're only £47+VAT on that other site for the 'turbo groove' ones. Am I missing something as to how to get them cheaper?

I need to get some soon as mine are getting pretty rusty now.
Sable 55 C-One MR2 C2 Turbo - A/C, Black Heated Leather, TTE Twin Exhaust, Cruise Control

Wabbitkilla

They've called me back.
Were waiting for a production run at EBC for the rear discs, i should have them on wednesday   s:D :D s:D  

They could have told me i suppose

Jigwar

Quote from: "onion86"I can only find £82 on ebc site for normal discs but they're only £47+VAT on that other site for the 'turbo groove' ones. Am I missing something as to how to get them cheaper?

£47 is for a single disc - but then they state you've got to buy in pairs   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  Bit misleading really.

Steve
Jigwar
Past: \'51 plate
Present: \'06 plate TTET\'ed

onion86

Quote from: "Jigwar"
Quote from: "onion86"I can only find £82 on ebc site for normal discs but they're only £47+VAT on that other site for the 'turbo groove' ones. Am I missing something as to how to get them cheaper?

£47 is for a single disc - but then they state you've got to buy in pairs   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  Bit misleading really.

Steve

Yeah I got it was for a single, so the £82 price on ebc is for a pair? I couldn't see, if so I'll get them from there then. Think I've got about £450 of expense next month, 2 new tyres, discs and pads and getting my clutch fitted (£200 cash from local garage, bargain)
Sable 55 C-One MR2 C2 Turbo - A/C, Black Heated Leather, TTE Twin Exhaust, Cruise Control

Wabbitkilla

Still not arrived.

Waiting for the latest excuse and if they haven't been sent cancelling the order.
Luckily it's not so urgent as the car passed MOT... but they will need doing sometime this year.

E

Dam thats slow service, mine arrived in about a week from ordering.

Wabbitkilla

Yeah, the problem is at EBC, waiting for a production run on the rear disks.
I'm getting a refund and will look into it again later in the year.

I'll probably ring EBC direct to find out if they're in stock at the time.

Jaik

Camskill were very fast delivering a full set of plain EBC discs to me recently.

spit

I'm currently in the market for some replacement EBCs - certainly a pair of fronts.

As a rare user of brakes I'm surprised how quickly the inner face has worn - 40k miles compared to 95k on my stockers which were still serviceable when they came off.

But here's the thing - the wear has been accelerated on the inners where the disks have warped, which explains the very crunchy braking that i reported a couple of months back. As a result, one of the three grooves has completely worn down while the other two are intact. Makes for some very interesting feedback through the pedal   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  .

That said, the EBCs have held their finish really well compared to the stockers. None of that severe rusting around the hub and outer lip. OK, its not the first thought to go through your head when you're trying to stop, but there y'go   s:D :D s:D
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Two's Company

My front EBCs are grumbling at the moment after 30k miles.  The outer face of the discs look ok other than slight scoring aroung the middle of one of them.  I was kind of hoping it just needs new pads rather than discs as well.  Is the '2 just heavy on the front brakes?

loadswine

I changed my rear pads for a fresh set of Black Diamonds today.
The 2 outer pads had peculiar areas where friction material craters had formed.
Discs were okay, apart from the grooves needing cleaning out.

I've not had pads start to disintegrate quite like that before.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

Wabbitkilla

I'm currently looking at Brake Depot, they look quite impressive and pretty good prices including Greenstuff pads. You can have them Zinc plated in silver, gold, or black.

Two's Company

Nic - how are the brakes now they have been on there a few weeks?  Mine needs fronts and trying to decide whether to stick with EBC, go back to OEM or something else.  The rears look ok so tempted to stick with EBC and just do the fronts.

EBC turbo grooves are £107.95 on Camskill.

Tags: