Brake discs

Started by Wabbitkilla, February 28, 2010, 13:44

Wabbitkilla

I ended up getting CRN discs, and they're doing very nicely ... a lot quieter than i was expecting. They have had about 2000 miles put on them now with the recent Scotland trip, and they performed very nicely up there in the wet and the dry.

I don't think i would go with EBC again as the dimples were forming into craters on the inside surfaces when i took them off.

I got a complete set of CRN 40Groove discs, Zinc plated, with Greenstuff pads for £200ish including delivery (may be a discount with being a member of another club). They advertise on eBay, on their own website and on Facebook ... nice people to talk to and deal with. Would be worth ringing them and talking to them.

After seeing Nigels pads above and the ones i took off mine i may in future consider using something other than EBC .. they work well enough but i didn't like the look of the surfaces. Still it could have just been the condition of the discs i suppose.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

Ilogik

Ooo you can now buy them in the uK!!

Get some carbotech bobcats. if I can get through thats what im buying :0

m http://www.carbotech-europe.com/applications.htm m
Current: Genuine GT300 Monocraft running a 2ZZ-GE
Ex: Trial kitted Cam\'d Power fc
Ex: TRD stage 1 TTE Turbo

Two's Company

Changed my EBCs yesterday to another set of Turbo Grooves and OEM pads with the previous set lasting 32.5k miles.  The discs were scored and the grooves were pretty much worn off on the inner faces but I reckon I could have got away with just changing the pads.  The outer pad was only about 50% worn but the inner pads were pretty much down to the metal!

frogger

Wear that uneven (between inner pad and outer pad) indicates that your caliper sliders probably aint quite sliding right 100% of the time.
I'd inspect the sliders for any signs or corrosion, and the slider seals for any damage.
If all looks good you could just clean everything fully and reassemble the sliders with a helping of red rubber grease (no other type of grease will suffice!).
If the seals look ropey, would swap 'em out for new ones.

Two's Company

There were no signs of damage on the sliders or seals but I know a few members who have had problems with them.  The calipers could probably do with a refurb now it is nearly 7 years old with 82.5k miles.

Wabbitkilla

Being single piston single sided calipers you will always get uneven wear with the pads directly in contact with the piston being hit hardest.
That's the problem with this non-optimal design, the only way to get even wear is to have opposed pistons.
Which produces problems with wheel clearance ... everything has a but   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Yes, slider wear, corrosion and seizing can affect this, but if they look good then they're usually ok.
Plus with the "stone guards" on the back of the discs then there is increased corrosion on the disc surface making the inner pad work harder too.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

Tags: