MR2 Roadster Wedge Shaped Brake Pad

Started by 51ice, March 3, 2010, 15:08

51ice

I replaced my rear brake pads at 55000miles, I was so surprised to see one of the pad wedged and the surface are so rough, lucky I changed it in time. And the pads has a toyota symbol on, so it should be the original one.
And my car also got problem with Hard power steering, lambda sensor, exhausts noise, belt tensor noise,which seems happened on most MR2 as well, the most scarely thing is the precat may damage the engine.

Toyota seems not that reliable anymore........

Wabbitkilla

looking at the scoring on that pad ... your disks are shot too.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

mrzwei

+1, I would have been tempted to change the disks too. Wouldn't worry too much about the wedge shape I've seen pads come off on other cars before that are like that.
You have however got me bothered because I'm around the same milage   s:D :D s:D
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

Liz

Quote from: "51ice"Toyota seems not that reliable anymore........

Thats a bit of a generalisation IMHO, some of these MR2's are getting on for 10-11 years old now - things will start to go wrong.
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

51ice

thanks for the suggestion, I will mearseur the thickness of the disc when I have time.
The good thing is this rough surface only happened on 1pad of 4.

There were some clicking sounds just after replacing the pads, but now seems the surface of disc has been polished.

51ice

Quote from: "Liz"
Quote from: "51ice"Toyota seems not that reliable anymore........

Thats a bit of a generalisation IMHO, some of these MR2's are getting on for 10-11 years old now - things will start to go wrong.

They are not bad, just not as good as I expected  s:) :) s:)  cause my car only run 56000miles which only the half of the car's life.

mrzwei

Quote from: "51ice"thanks for the suggestion, I will mearseur the thickness of the disc when I have time.
The good thing is this rough surface only happened on 1pad of 4.

There were some clicking sounds just after replacing the pads, but now seems the surface of disc has been polished.

Not so much the thickness, more the wear pattern.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

Ilogik

Depends on the idiot who owned the car before really.

Badly maintained, lack of service, rubbish garages tend to cause problems not the car themselves.

I had my 99 import car for a year and a bit without any issues, car ran like a dream I also bought it with 58k, sold it at 66k so did fair few miles to, +2 drag days + 2 track days.
Current: Genuine GT300 Monocraft running a 2ZZ-GE
Ex: Trial kitted Cam\'d Power fc
Ex: TRD stage 1 TTE Turbo

Tags: