Is my oil Consumption speed normal?

Started by 51ice, March 4, 2010, 20:07

51ice

After driving 11000miles (90% way miles), I changed my oil which surprised me is I only got 2liter drained that means 1.7 liter disappeared.  s:scared: :scared: s:scared:  

Anyway the engine is still very good, but after I changed to castrol magnetic oil 5w30, I noticed that some oil leak near the belt tensioner side.

So can anyone tell me it's just the problem with magnetic oil or it's the problem with low viscosity, cause I have already bought a 4liter of 5w30 Mible one for next refilling.   s:( :( s:(  

*The garage put half of 5w30 and 10w40 mixed oil for last service.

Wabbitkilla

Castrol Magnatec .... yuck, probably the worst thing you can do to an engine.

How many miles have you done altogether?
Are the precats still in place?
What year is the car?

Keep an eye on the oil level and see where it gets to every week, recording it against the miles you're doing.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

muffdan

If it used 1.7 litres doing 11k miles, you've got nothing to worry about!
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

Ilogik

surely if your dipstick is ok then I dont see the problem, do you check your oil every time you go for a drive? and you really should try changing your oil a bit more often, maybe im just fussy by doing it every 3000.
Current: Genuine GT300 Monocraft running a 2ZZ-GE
Ex: Trial kitted Cam\'d Power fc
Ex: TRD stage 1 TTE Turbo

51ice

Quote from: "Wabbitkilla"Castrol Magnatec .... yuck, probably the worst thing you can do to an engine.

How many miles have you done altogether?
Are the precats still in place?
What year is the car?

Keep an eye on the oil level and see where it gets to every week, recording it against the miles you're doing.

I found people here aviod using the magnetic oil just after I change mine, I really don't want change it again so soon.  Can you tell me how bad the magnetic oil can do to my engine?

Last service is 43000miles, I changed my oil around 540000.
I didn't remove my precat as I still can not believe Toyota can design something so poor.

Yes, I checked couple of times it's still ok, because the more I read this forum the more I worry.

The car is 2002 July reg, before the piston ring redesigned

51ice

Quote from: "muffdan"If it used 1.7 litres doing 11k miles, you've got nothing to worry about!

But my polo almost burn none for 10k. That's why I never thougth to check my oil level plus there is no oil leak anywhere.

Ilogik

Dude start changing your oil more frequently its not a ford mondeo   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

You have been warned about the Pre cats remove them, because doing them now will save you money in the future, yes it will happen and yes you will slap yourself in the face for not doing them.

Ok you had a Polo, this is not a polo and its an average type of sports car, please look after it.

51ice

Quote from: "Ilogik"surely if your dipstick is ok then I dont see the problem, do you check your oil every time you go for a drive? and you really should try changing your oil a bit more often, maybe Im just fussy by doing it every 3000.

I didn't check it as my car park got slope~~~~~~~~, I didn't change the oil for long mainly because I drive 60miles/day on motor way at a constant speed 70miles/hour, so I think the oil should last longer. But now I will try to check when I am at company car park.

Ilogik

Check it before you drive it !!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Mike68

Your car is getting to mileage where pre cats can go at any time. I personally know someone who's pre cats have gone only last week, luckily it didn't damage the engine but has clogged his main cat that now needs repacing.

If you haven't read these threads then please do:
 l viewtopic.php?f=11&t=23281 l
 l viewtopic.php?f=11&t=11393 l
To knock them out, an hour or 2, to take the chance replacement engine maybe a grand fitted and the pre cats still need removing.
Ex Silver MR-S

Now - Mica Red bug eye Scooby with blobeye front end conversion, Ninja 2 turbo back exhaust, HKS dump valve, prodrive fuel pump, prodrive 3 port turbo solenoid, BC Racing coilovers, K Sport 8 pot front brakes, VF35 turbo, 550 injectors, japspeed front mount intercooloer, 18" Kei RSS alloys, blobeye rear lights, tumble valve delete using JDM inlet manifold. Map completed by Race Dynamix 346 bhp, 340 lb torque

51ice

Quote from: "Ilogik"Dude start changing your oil more frequently its not a ford mondeo   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

You have been warned about the Pre cats remove them, because doing them now will save you money in the future, yes it will happen and yes you will slap yourself in the face for not doing them.

Ok you had a Polo, this is not a polo and its an average type of sports car, please look after it.

Remove the pre cat may result mot failure, who knows whether this garage will test it when the engine is warm.

To avoid this risk, I am really thinking to change to another car  s:? :? s:?  .

BTW, I just fixed my stiff power steering problem last night, I guess the next one will be the belt tensioner and the another two common problem o2 sensor and exhauster have been sovled before.

As I have enjoyed most the problem happened on this forum, the last one ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~   the pre cat failure- end of the story.

Liz

You still have your main cat - which is all that is required for the MOT - precats were for the US market but got put in all the cars - have you read the precat thread yet?

Think your problem is maybe you bought a bit of a pup which hadn't been looked after.
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

Ilogik

Lol you making me laugh. Reminds me not to buy a car from you, you seem like a lazy owner, I think you should sell it and buy a ford fiesta something that requires little attention.

ChrisHumes

i shake my head at posts like this now.

please either take the advise or post up in 6 months when things go wrong to tell us otherwise.

51ice

Quote from: "Liz"You still have your main cat - which is all that is required for the MOT - precats were for the US market but got put in all the cars - have you read the precat thread yet?

Think your problem is maybe you bought a bit of a pup which hadn't been looked after.

I have read the thread, but didn't find a long list about people who passed mot after removed the pre-cat without any problem.

Ilogik

You have a orum full of owners with around 85% without pre cats im guessing, surely if there was issues you would see many posts saying I FAILED MY MOT BECAUSE PRE CATS.

Ohh dear, im starting to sound like the ROC squad

Anonymous

Liz

Put "MOT precats" in the search box and hit enter = tonnes of information with lots of posts saying it makes no difference to the emissions for here...
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

51ice

Quote from: "ChrisHumes"i shake my head at posts like this now.

please either take the advise or post up in 6 months when things go wrong to tell us otherwise.

All the advices are very good and helpful.

Mike68

Please don't think we're all ganging up on you, we're just concerned for future ploblems which can easily be prevented (prevention is better than cure). As already stated these are fitted for the U.S. market. When I replaced the exhaust manifold the pre cats looked solid but it's just a time bomb and to be honest I'm relieved they are gone. I followed the advice here and have no regrets. Sounds better too imo.

Next time you do an oil change try another brand as advised, pre cats removed and enjoy this excellent car   s:D :D s:D
Ex Silver MR-S

Now - Mica Red bug eye Scooby with blobeye front end conversion, Ninja 2 turbo back exhaust, HKS dump valve, prodrive fuel pump, prodrive 3 port turbo solenoid, BC Racing coilovers, K Sport 8 pot front brakes, VF35 turbo, 550 injectors, japspeed front mount intercooloer, 18" Kei RSS alloys, blobeye rear lights, tumble valve delete using JDM inlet manifold. Map completed by Race Dynamix 346 bhp, 340 lb torque

mrzwei

Just show me some evidence of how bad Castrol (a brand leader I think) Magnatec semi synthetic oil can be to an engine. I'll forward it to Castrol so they can correct their obvious mistake for the furure. I use Shell v power stuff in the petrol tank, any problems with that?
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

51ice

Thanks very for all your help, I think I will remove it after my MOT in may, if I won't change my car to a BMW 320D as the original plan when I have 3 years no claim bonus.

markiii

Quote from: "mrzwei"Just show me some evidence of how bad Castrol (a brand leader I think) Magnatec semi synthetic oil can be to an engine. I'll forward it to Castrol so they can correct their obvious mistake for the furure. I use Shell v power stuff in the petrol tank, any problems with that?

personal experience its crap
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Ilogik

lol you really do like to ignore advice don't you.

I think oil is much like the difference between Real cocaCola, aldi's own cola and safeways own branded stuff, they all say they are Cola, But you know which one tastes like real coke  s:) :) s:)  as for oil once again you go on what you like, personally i like Silkolean Pro, it seems to last longer before getting dirty.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Ilogik"lol you really do like to ignore advice don't you.

Tags: