Is my oil Consumption speed normal?

Started by 51ice, March 4, 2010, 20:07

Ilogik

Stuff like pre cats I listened to right away. Given the choice that your engine could possibly die lol.
Current: Genuine GT300 Monocraft running a 2ZZ-GE
Ex: Trial kitted Cam\'d Power fc
Ex: TRD stage 1 TTE Turbo

51ice

Quote from: "Ilogik"lol you really do like to ignore advice don't you.

I think oil is much like the difference between Real cocaCola, aldi's own cola and safeways own branded stuff, they all say they are Cola, But you know which one tastes like real coke  s:) :) s:)  as for oil once again you go on what you like, personally i like Silkolean Pro, it seems to last longer before getting dirty.

Ok Ok, I will do it when I am free, now I will get lift to work from my colleague, walking 15 minutes in cold morning.   s:? :? s:?

Wabbitkilla

So you would rather spend money to change the car than a little money to get rid of the pre-cats?
Crazy!

Anyway, there's plenty of evidence on the forum about oil consumption and precat failure.
Oil is a personal taste thing, i just don't like magnatec, it gunks up where other oils don't and runs weak.
BTW i change my oil every 9 to 10k miles without losing any in between, the car has done over 70k miles now.
I just use a high quality oil, yes i've used Castrol but the Edge version fully synthetic, i quite liked it.
I've not heard of a single person failing mot after removing pre-cats, i certainly never failed an mot without them!
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

Anonymous

Quote from: "51ice"I didn't remove my precat as I still can not believe Toyota can design something so poor.

I take it you don't watch the news then   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Mind you I don't change my oil that often every 12 months is enough for me.  s:D :D s:D    s:flame: :flame: s:flame:  

I removed my pre-cats when it was 12 months old had several MOT with no problem.

mrzwei

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:   I love it, but that's not evidence.  Do the arts not the sciences.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

Cap

Ice:..

I did a California 'Smog' ( Tail Pipe Snif ) test without my Pre-Cats.. Passed..  It's done all the Time is Ca..  EXCEPT if your Main cat is Dead ( Dying ) then you won't pass..  Da!.

Oil Use:.
 I drive my Spyder about 175 Miles per Day, 5 Days a Week.  and have owned it from 30 K Miles..  I have run the Mobil 1 Synth oil and Change it every 4 Months..  That's about 10-15K Mi per change.. I add one Qt at 8K mi..    The Car now has about 148 K Miles on the Org Engine.. Did a compression Check at 100K and 140 K Mi..  all above 200 PSI..   Yanked the Pre-Cats at about 80 K Mi after I learned about the Failure Rate of 00-02 Cars with Pre-Cats..  Mine is a '01  

It's not the Miles on the Oil, it's the Time Interval and Miles..  Some cars not allowed to 'Get Hot on the Motorway' will develop very acidic/Wet Oil, and will Sludge Badly in 1000 Miles..  

Story Time:
I purchased a '79 Honda CVCC in '00 that had a Bad Motor at 90 Kmi.. I was able to chase down it's History..  It was Purchased New by a Lady who lived in California, It was her 'Commute Car'. She drove it 4 Miles a day  to work and Back, with short trips to the Store/Shopping. It did that till it's death in '00.
The Engine was worn out..  The Cam and Followers were scarred Badly..  the Cylinders were Scarred, and the Rings were cooked into the Pistons. The Failure was the 'Big End' bearings..  they were gone.. The car had it's oil change every 3K mi ( She had the Records in the Glove Box ).. and had put a new clutch in Once, and Brakes twice.   I had to bore the Engine and Replace the Cam and Followers ..    Dressed the Crankshaft and put in new bearings..  The Body was in Perfect Shape..

It's because the Engine did not get to a Temperature where the Water would get baked out of the Oil, and the Acids that developed ate the internals, and sludged  the Rings to the Piston..

By driving your car for long drives..  it will actually 'Help it Live' more miles..  

I'm hoping to get 300K mi out of my ride till I need to Replace the Powerplant/Driveline..  I almost 1/2 way there..  

Cap

mrzwei

I think it was that if you consume a Litre of oil in less than 1000 miles then you have an oil control ring / oval bore problem (sorry, can no longer remember how to do pints and quarts   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  )
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

Tags: