Where is OBD port?

Started by Chris 180SX, March 7, 2010, 12:05

Chris 180SX

Sorry for the lame topic, but I did search - I have just got a CEL and want to read it (I have a reader) but can't find the port?

uktotty

Under dash on right of steering wheel

Wabbitkilla

Just feel along the bottom of the dash to the right of the steering column and you will find it   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

Chris 180SX

Thanks guys!  Feel so stupid now!!!!

It was a 0141, which I believe is the post cat O2   s:( :( s:(    What a lovely day for a car problem!!  I should be OK to drive it till I sort it, shouldn't I?  Guess I'm going to get stung for a few quid...

mrzwei

The sensor relays a message to the ECU which may then modify the mixture, or in this case, may modify it because there is no message. Don't think there will be a problem driving it and there are some cost effective solutions out there. This of course could be bollocks, just my understanding, but there will be more informed opinions to follow.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

StuM

Pretty sure that the signals for the post-Cat sensor (the one that throws a P0141) aren't used by the ECU to adjust mixture.

As I understand it, the sensor only reads the emissions output properly when it is warm.  As it is cold first thing (for a couple of seconds) after a start, there is a heater circuit as part of the sensor, pre-warming it and allowing accurate reading.

This heater circuit would seem to be the most common source of failure - even though it has failed, the rest of the sensor works ok.  So, options are:

1) Fit a resistor into the heater wiring so that the car *thinks* it's working which fools it into not throwing the code, or
2) Fit a new O2 sensor - best price I've found for an original part is £80ish.

Short answer, I think that you are fine to keep using the car.
Stu M

Ex 2001 Lagoon Blue Mr2 Roadster
Now - 1985 VW T25 Panel Van \":-)\"

muffdan

that's right, the post cat sensor isn't used in the running of the engine and it's perfectly safe to drive the car with it malfunctioning.
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

uktotty

The resistor fix is pennies mate, easy to remove that 141

Chris 180SX

Excellent, thanks so much guys, feel a lot better than when it first flashed up this sunny morn!    s:D :D s:D   I will look at replacing maybe when I do my precats soon...

nathanMR2

Ive just replaced mine today, no more CEL's so far and ive done 50miles+

I paid a shade under £60 delivered for a Denso post cat sensor (with lead and plug) so a direct replacement.

PM me if you want the details
MR2 Roadster TTE Turbo - now sold and 2less but forever an enthusiast

Anonymous

Quote from: "nathanMR2"Ive just replaced mine today, no more CEL's so far and ive done 50miles+

I paid a shade under £60 delivered for a Denso post cat sensor (with lead and plug) so a direct replacement.

PM me if you want the details

Why not put the details here and let everyone know.  l viewtopic.php?f=11&t=19412 l

nathanMR2

I will do mate.

I just wanted to get a few more miles on it before putting it out to the masses

Chris 180SX

That would be great, cheers, bit cheaper than I thought too!   s:) :) s:)

nathanMR2

Let me do some digging and ill see if i can get some sorted for the club at a better price

uktotty

Cheers Nathan, looks like I need TWO  s:( :( s:(

Mad Matt

OK, I know this isn't a group buy thread, but I've got the notorious code too. I know it's not serious, but it is irritating so I'd be interested too.

nathanMR2

Please see

l viewtopic.php?f=36&t=28730 l

Tags: