Just replaced chain tensioner - minute whirr normal??

Started by ad_car_08, March 13, 2010, 00:42

ad_car_08

Hi,

My '2 has covered around 106,000miles, so although i've not heard anything on its way out, I thought I ought to at least replace the chain tensioner as it has had a good innings   s8) 8) s8)  
I managed to whip the old one out, easy as pie. I inspected it, but couldn't see any signs of wear and the plunger seemed just as springy as the item I was about to replace it with. Nether-the-less, I made sure the new plunger was retracted and hook was engaged, and gingerly popped the new one back in and slowly did the nuts up, waiting for a noise to indicate the hook had disengaged, but I got as far as having a 1mm gap between the engine head and the diamond shaped tensioner plate but still didn't hear anything.
At that point, I pushed the diamond shaped plate with my thumb (which obviously pushed it that last tiny 1mm to meet with the engine block) and was just about to pull it back out, when the tensioner seemed to spring out and touch the 10mm nuts.
I can't think of any other explanation for that happening, other than the hook...er unhooking..and the plunger sprung out, so I buttoned her up and turned the engine on to tick-over while I put my tools away. Seemed a minute fraction quieter than before, (i'm not ruling out that it could be the power of suggestion playing tricks with me) so I presumed everything would be fine.

By the time I'd made the 10min drive back to mine and parked up on the drive, I noticed a very very minute whirr which increased in speed when I gently revved the engine, but it didn't get any louder. Now...is this normal and I hadn't heard it before because the chain tensioner had worn in when I bought the car just over a year ago....or has the tensioner been fitted incorrectly & causing the chain to make a noise as it goes round?
Do you think that when the plunger pinged out when there was a 1mm gap between the tensioner plate and the engine plate, then when I buttoned it up snug, the plunger is putting just a minute amount more pressure on the chain that it should be??

Thank you if you've read this far!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  I appreciate any input on this!!
[size=85]2004 Sable MR2 Roadster - Track toy
Honda Civic EX 1.0T - Company Car
[/size]

Anonymous

The way I understand how this works, is you set the hook on the tensioner, secure it up correctly then wind the engine around manually untill you hear the tensioner click, there's a chance you may have over tensioned the chain slightly by not having the tensioner correctly fitted before you released it.

Might be worth re-doing it just in case.

Rob.

Anonymous

I know from personnel experience that when the tensioner is too tight it makes a zzzzz   zzzzz type noise,sounds to me like that 1mm is making it a touch too tight.

spit

A bit of a pain but yes, I'd be inclined to re-do it. If you've sprung out onto the next tooth of the pin's ratchet and then bolted the tensioner fully home you could find yourself unnecessarily accelerating the wear on the chain guide and slipper.

You have to listen hard for the hook disengaging - it isn't always obvious. 10 minute job to hoik the cover off and release it manually for peace of mind .... with the bonus that you can check your valve clearances while you're at it   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

ad_car_08

Ah fair enough, I'll hoik it out and do it again. I'm just really really nervous about turning anything when I'm not sure the tensioner is engaged incase I fuck somethin up!! I'm a competant mechanic, but when it comes to my pride and joy I'm a quivvering, paranoid wreck! Lol
[/size]

ad_car_08

OK, just removed and replaced the chain tensioner, I don't think the plunger has popped out yet, so i'm going to give the crank a little tweak (1 or 2mm) clockwise to see if that releases it.

If you don't hear the plunger popping out, how can you tell that the chain s tensioned before risking starting the engine??
[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "ad_car_08"OK, just removed and replaced the chain tensioner, I don't think the plunger has popped out yet, so i'm going to give the crank a little tweak (1 or 2mm) clockwise to see if that releases it.

If you don't hear the plunger popping out, how can you tell that the chain s tensioned before risking starting the engine??
Give the crank a good half turn with a spanner, you should hear it go click.

ad_car_08

and clockwise / turning towards the front of the car is definitely the direction to go? because it's not 100% clear whether you should go clockwise or anti-clockwise
[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "ad_car_08"and clockwise / turning towards the front of the car is definitely the direction to go? because it's not 100% clear whether you should go clockwise or anti-clockwise
Clockwise on the nut.

ad_car_08

Cool, thanks! Still didn't hear the 'click' from the plunger being released but trusted that after turning the crank half a turn, it had to have released by then!
All done now & no minute whirring which is a relief!

Thanks to those who replied for their assistance!
[/size]

Tags: