Pre-cat removed - now Malfunction warning lamp on!

Started by CeeJay72, March 13, 2010, 12:35

51ice

Quote from: "CeeJay72"
Quote from: "life of bryan"Then just replace it with the group buy "plug and play" which should take you 5 mins.

Ok - I think thats what I'll go with.

Can I drive the car while this sensor is faulty?

C.

If it's only the O2 B1S2, yes, you can, the another two sensor will be enough when the car warm up.

I have drove my car with that faulty O2 sensor for half a years, neary 6000miles.

CeeJay72

Quote from: "aaronjb"
Quote from: "life of bryan"Sounds like you should take it back to garage that removed precats then to put their work right.

I'm not going to blame the garage as they've done a lot of work on my cars over the years and have been pretty spot on.  However when I bought the SS manifold I did have my doubts about the supplied gasket - it seemed to my untrained eye a little inflexible, but I thought - ''they wont sell a gasket with the manifold unless its OK'.  It may be that this is the weak link - and if so all I need is a new gasket.  

I'll keep you posted!

Regards
Craig.

If the gasket was one of those 'dotty metalised card' things then it could be that.. if it was a bimetallic sheet with a lip around each hold then it's the standard Toyota item and should seal fine..

Yep - its 'dotty metalised card' thing'.. Time for a standard one from Toyota I think.  At least I can use the car meantime...

C.

CeeJay72

Hi All

I had the Manifold Gasket replaced today.  The old one showed signs of leakage so I thought - great problem solved...

Alas not so as the warning light came back on as I drove home.

The error codes I get are:

P0141
P0141 (P)
PO171
P0171 (P)
P0174
P0174 (P)

So am I back to a O2 Sensor problem?  Any help greatfully received - meanwhile I'm going to go and have a beer...

Craig.

Mike68

P0141 O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor 2)
P0171 System Too Lean (Bank 1)
P0174 System Too Lean (Bank 2)

so same errors as before, did you reset the ECU again? The heater fault shouldn't cause any other problems.

Edit:
Is it possible for a vaccuum hose to have been accidentally disconnected when the work was done?
Ex Silver MR-S

Now - Mica Red bug eye Scooby with blobeye front end conversion, Ninja 2 turbo back exhaust, HKS dump valve, prodrive fuel pump, prodrive 3 port turbo solenoid, BC Racing coilovers, K Sport 8 pot front brakes, VF35 turbo, 550 injectors, japspeed front mount intercooloer, 18" Kei RSS alloys, blobeye rear lights, tumble valve delete using JDM inlet manifold. Map completed by Race Dynamix 346 bhp, 340 lb torque

CeeJay72

Quote from: "Mike68"P0141 O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor 2)

so same errors as before, did you reset the ECU again? The heater fault shouldn't cause any other problems.

Edit:
Is it possible for a vaccuum hose to have been accidentally disconnected when the work was done?

Hi there

Yes I reset the ecu - all clear for a couple of hours and then the error codes returned.  I cant see any hoses unconnected - but I'll have a look later today.

Thanks for the help.

C.

CeeJay72

Quote from: "Mike68"P0141 O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor 2)

Edit:

Hi there

Yes I reset the ecu - all clear for a couple of hours and then the error codes returned.  I cant see any hoses unconnected - but I'll have a look later today.

Thanks for the help.

C.

I've checked for loose hoses - no joy.  I'll order up a 02 sensor and see if that sorts the problem.

C.

muffdan

The 'system too lean' codes wont go away with a new sensor, and these are the codes that you need to get sorted. If the exhaust manifold gasket is now sealing, and the vacuum hoses are on correctly, I'd look at the MAF itself (try giving it a clean) or a possible air leak between the MAF and the engine.
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

CeeJay72

Quote from: "muffdan"The 'system too lean' codes wont go away with a new sensor, and these are the codes that you need to get sorted. If the exhaust manifold gasket is now sealing, and the vacuum hoses are on correctly, I'd look at the MAF itself (try giving it a clean) or a possible air leak between the MAF and the engine.

Thanks for the info - I'll go give it  a clean!

Regards
Craig.

muffdan

Picture courtesy of our Les:
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

CeeJay72

Quote from: "muffdan"Picture courtesy of our Les:

Thanks for the pic - I found a link on how to clean the MAF on the site so followed that!  OK so the MAF is spotless - now its a case of wait and see if the light comes back on!

Thanks for the help and I'll keep u posted to any developments.

Regards
Craig.

CeeJay72

Quote from: "muffdan"Picture courtesy of our Les:

Thanks for the pic - I found a link on how to clean the MAF on the site so followed that!  OK so the MAF is spotless - now its a case of wait and see if the light comes back on!

Thanks for the help and I'll keep u posted to any developments.

Regards
Craig.

Blast - I thought that cleaning the MAF Sensor had sorted the problem - but no.  The light came back on again on the way home tonight.  I've not yet read the codes but I'd put money on them being the same ones.  I wonder if the maf sensor needs replaced?  Meantime I think I'll go re-check all the hoses - maybe something needs replaced/tightened.

C.

muffdan

Finding a local member willing to swap would help you rule that out. The sensor is pretty expensive to replace on a hunch.
Jason

CeeJay72

Quote from: "muffdan"Finding a local member willing to swap would help you rule that out. The sensor is pretty expensive to replace on a hunch.

Hi muffdan

You're right about the price - I just checked ebay -  £116!  Ouch...

However I just plugged in my fault reader and its seems that the 171 & 174 errors are gone (Cured by the MAF Clean perhaps?) so I've now only got errors 141 & 141 (P) to contend with.  Thats back where we started (almost) so I'm thinking its time to try replacing the 02 Sensor and see if that cures the problem.

Christ I've spent thousand buying the car, and hundreds more on tyres, alloys, lowering springs and a manifold - all I want to do is drive the bugger!

I'm beginning to think that she knows I'm planning to take her on Knockhill's racing circuit next month and is putting up a fight!

C.

muffdan

ah yes, I should have remembered about the P0141. That code wasn't going anywhere with just a MAF clean! So good news then. Changing that post cat O2 sensor should cure your remaining CEL. Glad you've gotten to the bottom of it.
Jason

CeeJay72

Quote from: "muffdan"ah yes, I should have remembered about the P0141. That code wasn't going anywhere with just a MAF clean! So good news then. Changing that post cat O2 sensor should cure your remaining CEL. Glad you've gotten to the bottom of it.

Thanks - its been a long process just getting the errors down to just the PO141!  

OK I plan to order up a post-cat 02 sensor asap and then fit it as soon as it arrives.  I know from previous comments on this thread thats is an easy job, but where exactly is the 02 sensor?

Regards
C.

aaronjb

If you stick your head just inboard of the passenger side rear light, underneath the bumper, and look straight up... you'll see it hiding there.

Pop out the passenger side rear light to get at the top of the wire, unplug, there are two clips behind & below the rear light and one clip on the underside (if memory serves) of the rear crashbar to undo, and replace with the new one.

Simples, as the advert says  s:) :) s:)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

CeeJay72

Quote from: "aaronjb"If you stick your head just inboard of the passenger side rear light, underneath the bumper, and look straight up... you'll see it hiding there.

Pop out the passenger side rear light to get at the top of the wire, unplug, there are two clips behind & below the rear light and one clip on the underside (if memory serves) of the rear crashbar to undo, and replace with the new one.

Simples, as the advert says  s:) :) s:)

Fantastic - I'll go and break out the credit card and get the sensor payed for!

Thanks for all the help folks - I hope that soon I can just concentrate on driving her and stop worrying about warning lights!

C.

Anonymous

You can see the 3rd o2 connector in this pic of davids car(stargazer30) next to the water bottle,just follow the wire down to the exhaust.

nathanMR2

Let me know if you need a sensor sorting. I may still be able to get them
MR2 Roadster TTE Turbo - now sold and 2less but forever an enthusiast

CeeJay72

Quote from: "life of bryan"You can see the 3rd o2 connector in this pic of davids car(stargazer30) next to the water bottle,just follow the wire down to the exhaust.

What a bloody silly place to put a sensor!  

s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

C.

CeeJay72

Quote from: "nathanMR2"Let me know if you need a sensor sorting. I may still be able to get them

I was going to order on ebay but if you can get them at reasonable price then yes I'm interested!

C.

CeeJay72

Hi all

I just took the rear light out to fit the new O2 sensor (Cheers Nathan!) when I noticed that the two parts of the factory-standard induction pipe below it are as close as North and South Korea!  I tried persuading them back together but I cant seem to get a good fit.  Is it worth persevering with this or is this a known weak-spot and would be best replaced with an after-market induction kit?

I'm going to be spending more money aren't I?   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

C.

Anonymous

A close fit is as good as it gets,this doesnt affect running too much.The worst that can happen with this is that some warm air with the cold gets dragged through the air filter resulting in a minor small loss in performance.There is a few options from wrapping some duct tape around or push it together and use some sealant to a Markiii pipe or aftermarket air induction kit, up to you really.

CeeJay72

Quote from: "CeeJay72"Hi all

I just took the rear light out to fit the new O2 sensor (Cheers Nathan!) when I noticed that the two parts of the factory-standard induction pipe below it are as close as North and South Korea!  I tried persuading them back together but I cant seem to get a good fit.  Is it worth persevering with this or is this a known weak-spot and would be best replaced with an after-market induction kit?

I'm going to be spending more money aren't I?   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

C.

Sigh

This cars out to get me...  I fitted the new O2 Sensor this morning and then wiped the ecu of the 141 error.  Cool - took it out for a spin and lo-and-behold the warning light came back on!  Ok so back onto the fault reader - 141 error is gone but now 171 and 174 are back...

Should I have disconnected the battery for 30 minutes after fitting the 02 sensor?  Or is there something else amiss?

Any help appreciated as I'm getting really p*ssed off now!

s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:  

C.

nathanMR2

Im glad the sensors worked for you, which is atleast something. Id reset it and see how you get on. It might sort it once the ecu has read the readings from the new ecu. There may still be an underlyning problem that you need to get sorted but worth trying the reset.
MR2 Roadster TTE Turbo - now sold and 2less but forever an enthusiast

Tags: