Pre-cat removed - now Malfunction warning lamp on!

Started by CeeJay72, March 13, 2010, 12:35

CeeJay72

Quote from: "nathanMR2"Im glad the sensors worked for you, which is atleast something. Id reset it and see how you get on. It might sort it once the ecu has read the readings from the new ecu. There may still be an underlyning problem that you need to get sorted but worth trying the reset.

Hi Nathan

I've pulled the plug on the battery and will re-connect it in 30 minutes.  I've also re-cleaned the maf sensor just in case.

God I need a beer!

C.

nathanMR2

How you get on?
MR2 Roadster TTE Turbo - now sold and 2less but forever an enthusiast

CeeJay72

Quote from: "nathanMR2"How you get on?

Hi Nathan

So far the warning light has stayed off, but I've only done 3 or 4 miles in it in the past 24 hours so I'm not 100 % confident that its gone for good.

Tomorrows 100 mile commute should be the test.

I just hope that its gone for good as its always at the back of my mind thats there's something more serious wrong with it.  If it comes back on then I think my next move will be a new maf sensor - but lets hope thats not going to happen...

s:D :D s:D  

C.

muffdan

I think the MAF is still the best bet, if the light does come back on but it could still be other things like an air leak post MAF. Ideally you want to find a member willing to swap MAFs with you for a while. Plug the code reader in after each trip, it might show the codes pending. The CEL won't light for a code that is just pending. Think of pending codes as the ECU thinking there's a problem but it's not sure yet. After another proper run and once it's sure, it escalates the pending code to a full fault and turns the CEL on.
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

StuM

Just a thought, but there are three gaskets involved with changing the manifold - the large metal one for between the block and the manifold, and two 'ring' gaskets from manifold to cat pipe.  Did all three get replaced with new - I could only see talk of one further up this thread?
Stu M

Ex 2001 Lagoon Blue Mr2 Roadster
Now - 1985 VW T25 Panel Van \":-)\"

CeeJay72

Quote from: "muffdan"I think the MAF is still the best bet, if the light does come back on but it could still be other things like an air leak post MAF. Ideally you want to find a member willing to swap MAFs with you for a while. Plug the code reader in after each trip, it might show the codes pending. The CEL won't light for a code that is just pending. Think of pending codes as the ECU thinking there's a problem but it's not sure yet. After another proper run and once it's sure, it escalates the pending code to a full fault and turns the CEL on.

Hi Nathan

Well so far things are looking good.  I did a good 80 miles today (two 40 mile trips with a good 8 hours in between runs) and no error came up.  Usually the fault has returned with 45 miles of driving so this is a promising start.  I also took your advice and plugged in the code reader an there where no pending faults.  

I'm not going to celebrate just yet - I think if the error code doesn't return tomorrow then I think we can say that we've cracked it!  

I'll let you know how things go tomorrow!

Regards
C.

CeeJay72

Quote from: "StuM"Just a thought, but there are three gaskets involved with changing the manifold - the large metal one for between the block and the manifold, and two 'ring' gaskets from manifold to cat pipe.  Did all three get replaced with new - I could only see talk of one further up this thread?

Hi Stu

Thanks for the reply - I forgot to mention the two ring gaskets (sorry!   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  ) as I got a bit fixated about the large metal pad style gasket.  All the gaskets where replaced - its just a pity that one of them is so crap and its cost me £85 alone to replace it with a good one.

Regards
C.

CeeJay72

Quote from: "muffdan"I think the MAF is still the best bet, if the light does come back on but it could still be other things like an air leak post MAF. Ideally you want to find a member willing to swap MAFs with you for a while. Plug the code reader in after each trip, it might show the codes pending. The CEL won't light for a code that is just pending. Think of pending codes as the ECU thinking there's a problem but it's not sure yet. After another proper run and once it's sure, it escalates the pending code to a full fault and turns the CEL on.

*&%&^%**%%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The bloody 171/174 errors are back!

OK so I guess I need to buy a MAF sensor now - anyone know a cheap source?

Regards
C.

Mike68

edit: misread post    s:oops: :oops: s:oops:
Ex Silver MR-S

Now - Mica Red bug eye Scooby with blobeye front end conversion, Ninja 2 turbo back exhaust, HKS dump valve, prodrive fuel pump, prodrive 3 port turbo solenoid, BC Racing coilovers, K Sport 8 pot front brakes, VF35 turbo, 550 injectors, japspeed front mount intercooloer, 18" Kei RSS alloys, blobeye rear lights, tumble valve delete using JDM inlet manifold. Map completed by Race Dynamix 346 bhp, 340 lb torque

CeeJay72

Well so far the best price I can find is £105 from Camskill - thats a lot for a bit of plastic!

C.

Anonymous

sounds about right,you should be able to get a used one from a scrappers or ebay for around £25-30 but you can't guarantee you don't get another duffer.

nathanMR2

Sad times mate. I feel for you. Ill keep my eye out for one for you. Just hope that solves it!
MR2 Roadster TTE Turbo - now sold and 2less but forever an enthusiast

muffdan

It is a good price though, if it's the right part.
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

CeeJay72

Quote from: "muffdan"It is a good price though, if it's the right part.

With vat and delivery it came in at £115 which I think is way to much for a piece of moulded plastic, a couple of wires and a rubber o-ring!  

I mean think about it - it cant have cost more than a fiver to make, and even with distribution costs, I bet it only came to £20 - 30!

Sigh - its been an expensive few weeks...

C.

muffdan

Completely agree with you on it being overpriced for what it is, but it is much cheaper than you'll get it from Toyota direct. I just hope that it is the problem, if you're committing to buy one. It still could be an air leak between the MAF and the o2 sensors or perhaps something causing a low fuel pressure. For me, the MAF is definitely the primary suspect though.
Jason

CeeJay72

Quote from: "muffdan"Completely agree with you on it being overpriced for what it is, but it is much cheaper than you'll get it from Toyota direct. I just hope that it is the problem, if you're committing to buy one. It still could be an air leak between the MAF and the o2 sensors or perhaps something causing a low fuel pressure. For me, the MAF is definitely the primary suspect though.

Hi MuffDan

I hope the MAF Sensor is the cause too!  Its been an expensive few weeks and I don't want to have to spend anymore on fixing sensor issues - especially as I've found a source for a Team Moon Dual Exit S/S Exhaust!

See - I've got my priorities right!   s:D :D s:D  

Regards
C.

muffdan

Jason

CeeJay72

Quote from: "muffdan"Bargain:

http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=29064&start=0

Blast - I paid  for one on Thursday!  Its already been dispatched so I cant cancel it....
  s:( :( s:(  

Thanks for thinking of me thou!

C.

CeeJay72

Quote from: "CeeJay72"
Quote from: "muffdan"Bargain:

http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=29064&start=0

Blast - I paid  for one on Thursday!  Its already been dispatched so I cant cancel it....
  s:( :( s:(  

Thanks for thinking of me thou!

C.

New MAF arrived today and I've already fitted it - lets hope that this finally nails the errors!

C.

Anonymous

its sad but i have loved reading this does it have a happy ending ?

CeeJay72

Quote from: "madjak1987"its sad but i have loved reading this does it have a happy ending ?

Glad to know some-ones enjoyed this costly debacle..

I'm hoping that there is a happy ending in sight.  I fitted the new MAF Sensor 48 hours ago, and I have since driven 100 or so miles without a warning light.

Heres hoping that its finally fixed.

So sum-up, to fix the 171, 174 and 141 errors I've Replaced the:

Manifold Gasket (£85)
Maf Sensor ((£115)
Lamda Sensor (£67)

Can I know please just enjoy driving the bloody thing now?

C.

Anonymous

Yes but how much would it have cost you if you hadnt come here?

mrzwei

Quote from: "CeeJay72"Can I know please just enjoy driving the bloody thing now?

C.

Don't you just love the joys of motoring   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:   Tomorrow this will be you or me.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

CeeJay72

Quote from: "life of bryan"Yes but how much would it have cost you if you hadnt come here?

I hate to think what my local toyota dealership would have charged me!

To all that helped - many many thanks! b Lets just hope the warning lamp stays off!

C

CeeJay72

Quote from: "CeeJay72"
Quote from: "life of bryan"Yes but how much would it have cost you if you hadnt come here?

I hate to think what my local toyota dealership would have charged me!

To all that helped - many many thanks!  I owe u all a beer!

Now - lets just hope the warning lamp stays off!

C

Tags: