Pre-cat removed - now Malfunction warning lamp on!

Started by CeeJay72, March 13, 2010, 12:35

CeeJay72

Quote from: "CeeJay72"
Quote from: "life of bryan"Yes but how much would it have cost you if you hadnt come here?

I hate to think what my local toyota dealership would have charged me!

s:D :D s:D  

To all that helped - many many thanks!  I owe u all a beer!

Now - lets just hope the warning lamp stays off!

C

That fault light is like my ex-girlfriend.  Just went you think she's finally taken the hint and decided to leave you alone she's back - just when you didn't expect it...

Yes you guessed it.  The lights back on - after 3 days I thought it was behind me - obviously it has other ideas.  

OK I'm off to torch the f**king thing...

s:evil: :evil: s:evil:  

C.

muffdan

ok, pull the code and lets see what we're dealing with.
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

CeeJay72

Quote from: "muffdan"ok, pull the code and lets see what we're dealing with.

Hi Dan

Its codes 171 and 174 again!  

Regards
C.

muffdan

Probably an air leak if both banks are reading lean. That or the fuel pressure is too low. Have you checked all pipes are properly connected and secured between the MAF and the inlet manifold?
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

CeeJay72

Quote from: "muffdan"Probably an air leak if both banks are reading lean. That or the fuel pressure is too low. Have you checked all pipes are properly connected and secured between the MAF and the inlet manifold?

I have done - but I'm going to check each pipe now.

Perhaps one of the pipes has a cut or tear - hopefully its something simple!

C.

CeeJay72

Quote from: "muffdan"Probably an air leak if both banks are reading lean. That or the fuel pressure is too low. Have you checked all pipes are properly connected and secured between the MAF and the inlet manifold?

I have done - but I'm going to check each pipe now.

Perhaps one of the pipes has a cut or tear - hopefully its something simple!

C.

No loose hoses or rears/rips etc evident...

Hmmmm....

C.

muffdan

That sucks dude.   s:( :( s:(
Jason

CeeJay72

Quote from: "muffdan"That sucks dude.   s:( :( s:(

Having looked around on the net, I think the next thinks to look at are the fuel pump and the injectors.

I think it might be best thou if I find a good garage and get them to have a look rather than me just replacing everything!

C.

muffdan

I'm not sold on the injectors, there would have to be two that are faulty to cause both codes to trigger. Does the car feel ok when you're driving?
Jason

CeeJay72

Quote from: "muffdan"I'm not sold on the injectors, there would have to be two that are faulty to cause both codes to trigger. Does the car feel ok when you're driving?

Yes it feels brilliant - its fast, smooth and very responsive - I don't feel that this is a mechanical problem as the car just drives far to well for there to be an engine issue.

C.

muffdan

then I think we're back to an air leak.

I think you're right and you're at the stage where this is going to have to be taken to a garage.
Jason

CeeJay72

Quote from: "muffdan"then I think we're back to an air leak.

I think you're right and you're at the stage where this is going to have to be taken to a garage.

UPDATE:  I dropped my roadster off at Toyota in Edinburgh and they've found that its the NEW  MAF Sensor thats at fault.  They swapped it for an old one they had on another roadster they had in stock and bingo - fault gone.  So I'll be calling CamSkill first thing tomorrow to arrange an exchange.

I cant tell you how much worry this caused me - I was beginning to think I had major engine problems, so its a relief to know that its just a simple sensor thats to blame...

I need a beer.  And a whiskey.  And another beer - and perhaps another whiskey...

Regards
C.

nathanMR2

Good news. Just hope that sorts it mate
MR2 Roadster TTE Turbo - now sold and 2less but forever an enthusiast

CeeJay72

Quote from: "nathanMR2"Good news. Just hope that sorts it mate

So so I!

Anonymous

Wow how unlucky,glad it seems to be sorted and it hasnt made liars out us all!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

CeeJay72

Quote from: "life of bryan"Wow how unlucky,glad it seems to be sorted and it hasnt made liars out us all!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

I just hope Toyota are right and its the MAF sensor, as the supplier is skeptical.  

They had no problem suppling me with a new one (as the parts guaranteed), but they've never had one returned before, so they feel that its more likely that the MAF is getting fried by an electrical pulse...

I suppose only time will tell!   s:| :| s:|    

Regards
C.

CeeJay72

Quote from: "life of bryan"Wow how unlucky,glad it seems to be sorted and it hasnt made liars out us all!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

I just hope Toyota are right and its the MAF sensor, as the supplier is skeptical.  

They had no problem suppling me with a new one (as the parts guaranteed), but they've never had one returned before, so they feel that its more likely that the MAF is getting fried by an electrical pulse...

I suppose only time will tell!   s:| :| s:|    

Regards
C.

Update:  There have been no error codes for almost 5 weeks now, so with fingers crossed I say 'I think its fixed'...

Looks like I had a 'bad' new maf sensor.

All the best!
Craig.

muffdan

WooHoo!   s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:  

Good news  s:) :) s:)
Jason

CeeJay72

Quote from: "muffdan"WooHoo!   s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:  

Good news  s:) :) s:)

Lol - it certainly is!  Although I must admit I'm still worried that the gremlins while come back!

Again thanks to all that helped me with my queries.

C.

Tags: