where is the thermostat housing?

Started by marco2412, March 13, 2010, 18:19

marco2412

hi there i think my thermostat is stuck open can anyone tell me where abouts it is in the engine? thanks pic would if uyou can!  s:D :D s:D

Tem

It's on the intake side of the engine, between the alternator and intake manifold.

You can change the thermostat from above, no need to remove much of anything. Just feel your way around...
(it's where the rubber coolant hose goes to)

I'll see if I find a pic...
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Tem

Quote from: "Tem"I'll see if I find a pic...

Not the best pic, but you can just see it between the alternator and intake manifold.
(ignore the manifold, yours will be black and plastic, but the housing is there anyway)

m http://www.aijaa.com/v.php?i=5899869.jpg m

marco2412

Quote from: "Tem"
Quote from: "Tem"I'll see if I find a pic...

Not the best pic, but you can just see it between the alternator and intake manifold.
(ignore the manifold, yours will be black and plastic, but the housing is there anyway)

m http://www.aijaa.com/v.php?i=5899869.jpg m

ok thanks but how do i get down there as it is very tight when its in the car,  s:D :D s:D   plus thats the rear of the engine isnt it? thanks

markiii

its on the firewall side of the engine

looks easier to do from below to me
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

SteveJ

Quote from: "markiii"its on the firewall side of the engine

looks easier to do from below to me

Not if you've got aircon it aint   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Drop the alternator off it's mounts and it's not that difficult to get at.

Tem

IIRC, I couldn't get to the nuts from below, but they were no problem from above. Or maybe I was just too lazy to lift the car, can't really remember, it was last summer when I changed the thermostat. I just remember it ended up being a lot easier than I thought.

I didn't touch the alternator, nor anything else. The engine plastics are off on my car, can't remember if it would get in the way or not though. Just undo the two nuts and it moves enough to get the thermostat out and back in. No need to undo the hose or anything else.

Tags: