Scuttle shake

Started by fstsven, March 5, 2004, 22:42

fstsven

Simple question: I've been experiencing some scuttle shake over rough roads. Guess this is normal; the MR is my first "roofless" car (after a 205 gti 1.9, a Corolla d**sel   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:   and a '97 Celica gt)...   However, as I'm going to be fitting Eibach lowering springs, I'm a bit worried: is the twist'n'shaking (AND the rattling) going to be worse?  Or needn't I worry?  Any clue on this would be very much appreciated!
2004 fire red TOYOTA MR
K&N air filter
BLUEFLAME single exhaust
APEX progressive rate springs (-30mm)
3.ORACING breastplate
TOYO proxes R1R 205/50/15(f)-225/45/16(r)
25 kgs extra lightness

Anonymous

I can't comment with any authority as I don't have lowered springs but I imagine they probably make the rider harder and hence you are more likely to suffer the effects.

Unless you are going to drive with a HT on all the time, then the TRD member braces, in particular the front one, should help absorb some of the shake. You can see a bit of info about fitting them on my web page.

markiii

buy an antiflex plate.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Slacey

Go see the Buying / Selling forum and look for my Corky GB - he will probably take late orders if you are interested.
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

fstsven

Thanx.  I'll then have the springs fitted first and see what gives...  I presume the strut braces you mentioned are pretty straightforward to mount afterwards?
2004 fire red TOYOTA MR
K&N air filter
BLUEFLAME single exhaust
APEX progressive rate springs (-30mm)
3.ORACING breastplate
TOYO proxes R1R 205/50/15(f)-225/45/16(r)
25 kgs extra lightness

mph

Additional bracing does do the trick extremely well.

An aftermarket anti-flex plate is a good first stop since they're so cheap.

You haven't stated whether you have the original or revised model.

For the pre '03, the TRD front and rear member braces certainly reduce scuttle shake, so much so, they were adopted and fitted as standard to the '03 revision.

Finally there's the top strut. I have the TRD front struct bar fitted and this makes a dramatic difference. Of all the bracing options, this is the only visible and typically non-reversal change as you have to cut (to some degree or other) the front plastic tray. Even with poor DIY skills (read: me) a very reasonable job of making it look 'standard' can be accomplished.

I haven't mentioned the rear top strut. IMO, unless you're a *good* driver, your money's best spent elsewhere.
[size=92]Martin[/size][size=75]
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S
'01 Black MR2 Roadster SMT turbo[/size]

Tags: