Hayabusa turbo powered MR-S Race car...

Started by Louie, March 25, 2010, 08:19

Louie

Just thought you may be interested in a race car project we are working on in New Zealand.  (repost of removed thread)

For all the pics of this project and a few other projects of ours, go here  m http://s277.photobucket.com/albums/kk58 ... 8/?start=0 m

Take one of these...

...strip it down...

...BARE...

Buy one of these as an engine donor...

Make a few cuts to make it all fit...

...fabricate up some engine, diff and suspension mounts... (pic is just the start of rear subframe)

...Make some lightweight fibreglass panels which will be plugs for us to modify...

Meantime our engine is away getting a few goodies added. Like Carillo rods, JE Pistons & a whole load of other goodies from APE raceparts in USA. We are aiming for a reliable 400hp from the Suzuki Hayabusa Turbo engine.

Turbo manifold being made

Subframe 25% completed, you can see the suspension pick-up points with many holes for adjustments

Add in a roll cage

a very comprehensive one

and a quick mock up of body panels to weigh the car...
Bodyshell incl. rollcage, most panels, engine, gearbox, diff, seat & controls, suspension arms, shocks etc = 416kg (still needs wheels, brakes & all plumbing etc etc)

Finally about a year down the track it finally sits on its own wheels & suspension for the first time...

MMeantime we are still working on the bodypanels...

And finally the bodypanels are completed which include guards widened 35mm per side, wheel arches raised 50mm per side, Australian V8 Supercar front splitter & undertray, fluted bonnet to allow radiator air out & cut away rear bumper, also for airflow...

The race car is still being built, and the pic of the 'car' above is actually just all the plugs of the bodypanels put together to be a very unique sign out the front of our business...

UPDATE: We have just had some of the final lightweight panels arrive for the car..

The total weight of the front guard is under 800 grams (just over three quarters of a kg)

I will try to keep this thread updated as progress is made...

Chris.

Mike68

Excellent project, thanks for re-posting it   s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:
Ex Silver MR-S

Now - Mica Red bug eye Scooby with blobeye front end conversion, Ninja 2 turbo back exhaust, HKS dump valve, prodrive fuel pump, prodrive 3 port turbo solenoid, BC Racing coilovers, K Sport 8 pot front brakes, VF35 turbo, 550 injectors, japspeed front mount intercooloer, 18" Kei RSS alloys, blobeye rear lights, tumble valve delete using JDM inlet manifold. Map completed by Race Dynamix 346 bhp, 340 lb torque

Ilogik

Can't wait to see some videos.. I bet that thing flys
Current: Genuine GT300 Monocraft running a 2ZZ-GE
Ex: Trial kitted Cam\'d Power fc
Ex: TRD stage 1 TTE Turbo

StuM

Where in NZ is this?  We're driving much of it soon, and would be amusing if to pass a 2 on a pole!

<Edit>Closer inspection of the Pics, it's in Timaru - I think we pass by there!  s:) :) s:) </edit>

Cheers,
Stu
Stu M

Ex 2001 Lagoon Blue Mr2 Roadster
Now - 1985 VW T25 Panel Van \":-)\"

DannyN

Unfortunately I dont think Louie will be coming back to keep us updated on this   s:( :( s:(
Quote from: \"DannyN\"There are 10 types of people in the world,
Those who understand Binary and those that don\'t...

[size=75]Black 51 165 BHP - Hardtop ON - Teins - Apexi Power FC - AEM Induction (Cleaned) - Crower Cams - Forged Pistons - Iridium Plugs - Zero Manifold - SP Downpipe - H&S - TRD SS - Corkys MSMB - Goodridge - \'03 Vents - Devs - Bamas - Crystal Indies - Mongos.
[/size]

Wabbitkilla

Quote from: "DannyN"Unfortunately I dont think Louie will be coming back to keep us updated on this   s:( :( s:(

This IS Louie re-engaging with us after the toasting of the last thread.
He will be keeping us posted as progress is made, I'm looking forward to seeing the beast out on the track.   s:D :D s:D
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

cclarke99

Great project - it sounds like you've had a lot of fun doing it

Anonymous

Awesome project,nice one good on ya for re-posting.  s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:    s:D :D s:D

Ilogik

Hopefully the fellow ship of the ring don't scare him off again. These are the sort of builds that are great to see  s:) :) s:)

Louie

Quote from: "StuM"Where in NZ is this?  We're driving much of it soon, and would be amusing if to pass a 2 on a pole!

<Edit>Closer inspection of the Pics, it's in Timaru - I think we pass by there!  s:) :) s:) </edit>

Cheers,
Stu

Make sure you call past between 9am-5pm Mon-Fri and I will show you the real thing!

Quote from: "DannyN"Unfortunately I dont think Louie will be coming back to keep us updated on this   s:( :( s:(

Yup I will, and for the record I am more than happy to hear comments/suggestions etc on the project...

Ilogik

my one commenet the wheels don't do it justice  s:) :) s:)  

Need some bling bling haha

Is the car running yet bud?

Louie

Quote from: "Ilogik"my one commenet the wheels don't do it justice  s:) :) s:)  

Need some bling bling haha

Is the car running yet bud?

2 Answers = Weight & price.

The 17's were the 2nd lightest wheel we could find (1kg heavier than the lightest, but $200 per wheel cheaper) and the whole project is based on the car being as light as possible.

We perked the 18's as we can get a good supply of 18 inch slick tyres to run on the car. Will probably buy some better (lighter) 18's once the car is running & the money box replenished.....

Not running yet    s:( :( s:(  , being held up by the engine builder is still awaiting some bearing shells.
Our next move is to paint the bodyshell, but we are also waiting on our engineer to finish the sway bar adjusters for the cockpit, as these need to be mounted prior to painting....

Anonymous

HI Louie - welcome back -no hard feelings my friend.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Just as a matter of interest, what is the race series you are running the car in, you said last time you had to retain the Roadster tub and could not use a space frame.

We have events over here which allow space framed Hyabusa powered kit cars - in fact it's a full event lasting a full season.

Logik -   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:    s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

Rob.

StuM

Quote from: "Louie"Make sure you call past between 9am-5pm Mon-Fri and I will show you the real thing!

<slopes off to make a small itinerary adjustment...>   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Thanks Louie, that'd be great.
Stu M

Ex 2001 Lagoon Blue Mr2 Roadster
Now - 1985 VW T25 Panel Van \":-)\"

Louie

Quote from: "FGRob"Just as a matter of interest, what is the race series you are running the car in, you said last time you had to retain the Roadster tub and could not use a space frame.

We have events over here which allow space framed Hyabusa powered kit cars - in fact it's a full event lasting a full season.

Rob.

It will be eligable for all types of racing here in NZ, some of which require us to retain the MR-S floorpan & some dont.

Basically by retaining the original floorpan we make he car eligable for another 4 classes that a spaceframe car cant compete in.

There is an open-top sports car class over here that runs quite a few spaceframed Hayabusa powered cars (amoungst others) so if we remove the roof we can also run it in this class...

Wabbitkilla

What hubs, brakes, and running gear are you using on this Louie?
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

Louie

Quote from: "Wabbitkilla"What hubs, brakes, and running gear are you using on this Louie?

This project is being built to a pretty strict budget, so many many parts are 2nd hand.

It will use Series 4 Mazda RX7 hubs, Race discs (cant remember the size) with AP racing calipers, 6pot front & 4 pot rears.

Running gear is obviously the Hayabusa engine & gearbox (although gearbox had been modded for car use), we are using a chain drive to a fixed axel which is Toyota Corona diff (welded up) axels & then Corona half shafts etc to the rear wheels..

In this early pic you can see how it is pieced together...

Edited with a more recent pic showing the welded spider gears, crownwheel piece machined to take the drive sprocket and the ring-gear on the right hand side, for the reverse...

Anonymous

The kit's I've seen over here use a chain driven back diff which also gives them reverse, I take it you are not to worried about that and are not fitting one.

Do you think the car will be quicker off the mark without the hard top fitted?

Louie

Quote from: "FGRob"The kit's I've seen over here use a chain driven back diff which also gives them reverse, I take it you are not to worried about that and are not fitting one.

We have seen the Quaife diffs that are often used and, like you say, have reverse etc, but we are concerned about cost plus weight. The diffs are heavier, cost more $$$ & require more horsepower to run that what we have decided on.

The car will have reverse (all race cars in NZ have to have a reverse) but we will be using a starter motor that will run on a ring-gear, engaged by a button. Reverse will be all or nothing...LoL...

Quote from: "FGRob"Do you think the car will be quicker off the mark without the hard top fitted?

The hardtop we have is Carbon Fibre so wont make any difference to the performance. We have left the hardtop removable so the engine is easier to access, plus with it removed it is another series we can compete in...

Louie

Well we have finally had some time to make progress on the car finishing the sway bars & plumbing on the car

Have finally got the sway bar parts, so are mounting them to the chassis.

Finishing the exhaust manifold and external wastegate piping

Mounting the liquid intercooler & the turbo piping & sorting where the exhaust will go

Mounting & plumbing up the Dry sump tank

And are also finalizing all the plumbing for the engine & intercooler radiators which run from the engine& intercooler at the back of the car through to the radiators at the front. The intercooler pipes run along the top sill in the pic, the engine radiator pipes run through the tunnel in the centre of the car

So with some good progress being made it shouldn't be too far away from having the chassis painted...

custardavenger

I am SOOOO jealous. Those adjustable Sway bars are gorgeous. You're doing a wicked job of building it.

How did you work out you're suspension. Is it calculated or have you copied another car?
[size=150]Custard\'s Bonnet/Engine Cover Struts[/size] Clicky Round 2
Custard\'s Bracing Clicky Coming soon
Project Custard Clicky

philster_d

seems i dont need a pit after all. I just need to get Geoff Capes round to roll the car over.   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Mad Matt

well, that's what I do to the mower when I work onit. I'd never thought of doing it to the car  :-) :-) :-)

DannyN

Quote from: "Mad Matt"well, that's what I do to the mower when I work onit. I'd never thought of doing it to the car  :-) :-) :-)

It says on my mower, dont tip on its side   s:? :? s:?
Quote from: \"DannyN\"There are 10 types of people in the world,
Those who understand Binary and those that don\'t...

[size=75]Black 51 165 BHP - Hardtop ON - Teins - Apexi Power FC - AEM Induction (Cleaned) - Crower Cams - Forged Pistons - Iridium Plugs - Zero Manifold - SP Downpipe - H&S - TRD SS - Corkys MSMB - Goodridge - \'03 Vents - Devs - Bamas - Crystal Indies - Mongos.
[/size]

philster_d

they dont want you to mow walls

Tags: