Hayabusa turbo powered MR-S Race car...

Started by Louie, March 25, 2010, 08:19

Louie

Quote from: "custardavenger"I am SOOOO jealous. Those adjustable Sway bars are gorgeous. You're doing a wicked job of building it.

How did you work out you're suspension. Is it calculated or have you copied another car?

The sway bar parts are what we have been waiting for & will make a big difference to the car, as handling will be its race advantage.

The suspension is not copied, its all been computer drawn by a very clever race engineer in NZ. As we had a clean sheet of paper to start with, all the suspension pick-up points are exactly where they need to be to suit the car with shocks, weight, hp etc etc all taken into account.

Quote from: "philster_d"seems i dont need a pit after all. I just need to get Geoff Capes round to roll the car over.   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Easy eh!  As the car has no panels at all, there is nothing to damage & makes it mega easy to run all the pipework etc...

Wabbitkilla

Love the work, can't wait to see it in the finished guise, up, running, and racing   s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

StuM

Great work!

The pesky ash cloud put paid to my dreams of seeing the car in the flesh this month, but we're rebooked for October and this time the itinerary has us in Timaru on a weekday!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Stu M

Ex 2001 Lagoon Blue Mr2 Roadster
Now - 1985 VW T25 Panel Van \":-)\"

Anonymous

Quote from: "philster_d"seems i dont need a pit after all. I just need to get Geoff Capes round to roll the car over.   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

It used to be standard practice with (real) minis, put an old matress on the floor and roll it on it's side.

Anonymous

Hi Louie,

I love this build.  Earlier in my engineering career I used to work at http://www.holeshot-racing.co.uk/ so I love seeing stuff like this in detail.

I see you have ARP bolts in your engine parts pile, are you going up to 13mm studs?  Also I see you have clutch plates and fibres there, I presume you'll be using a lock-out clutch with those?  Also what turbo are you using?  A GT35 would be on something like that from Holeshot.

I'm relieved to see you're going dry sump too!   s:) :) s:)   What make is it out of interest?

Good luck with the build, it'll be a rocket!  I built a 400bhp+ Radical SR3 using a similar parts list and at Elvington airfield we were using EVO FQ400's as rolling chicanes on the shake down day - at low boost.  Keep us posted!   s:crazyeyes: :crazyeyes: s:crazyeyes:    s:mrgreen: :mrgreen: s:mrgreen:

Anonymous

great to see this build i am in oz and there is hardly anything happening with spyders here. i have my third spyder arriving 2moro a jap import turbo manual. that i will be stripping out to race and doing a carbon body for it as i used to own a carbon parts factory . it wont be as elaborate as yours but hopefully will be some fun on the track.

Louie

Quote from: "Paulinio"Hi Louie,

I love this build.  Earlier in my engineering career I used to work at http://www.holeshot-racing.co.uk/ so I love seeing stuff like this in detail.

I see you have ARP bolts in your engine parts pile, are you going up to 13mm studs?  Also I see you have clutch plates and fibres there, I presume you'll be using a lock-out clutch with those?  Also what turbo are you using?  A GT35 would be on something like that from Holeshot.

I'm relieved to see you're going dry sump too!   s:) :) s:)   What make is it out of interest?

Good luck with the build, it'll be a rocket!  I built a 400bhp+ Radical SR3 using a similar parts list and at Elvington airfield we were using EVO FQ400's as rolling chicanes on the shake down day - at low boost.  Keep us posted!   s:crazyeyes: :crazyeyes: s:crazyeyes:    s:mrgreen: :mrgreen: s:mrgreen:

Yea we have been on the holeshot website... Bet that V8 sounds incredible!

To be honest I cant exactly remember what parts weended up with, we just spoke with the guy at APE raceparts & he guided us through what we needed for our conversion & purpose as they have done a few car coversions. The engine has been away at the engine builders for the past 5 months but is now finally ready. The turbo we are using is a GT3076r which is the same we use on another of our race cars so can keep 1 spare for both cars.

The dry sump came from Nova from memory. It definately came from the UK, whereas all the other goodies came from the US.

Yea we are hoping it will be a rocket, I just cant wait to finally drive it!

philster_d

GT30R pokey up high, hopefully not too bad off the line. How does that match a motorbike engine instead of a car engine? no difference or does the bike engine have smaller displacement?

Anonymous

GT30 should provide plenty of low rev boost.  We used to have GT35R's at full boost by 6krpm (limiter at 11.5k!).

Jack (owner of Holeshot) has a top speed bike with 700+bhp and a GT42R that was pushing out 2bar of boost by 6.5krpm and we had the limiter set to 13k a few times!  That bike has managed 257mph btw.   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Because of the design of bike engines the exhaust gas velocity is so high and the turbo is mounted so close to the head that they tend to produce boost a lot earlier than you would expect.

Thought it would probably be a Nova dry sump.  They're the ones we always used to use, along with their billet gearboxes, great products from them.

Louie

So finally the chassis has had all its fabrication & welding completed & has been away and been sandblasted.

and then some paint on all its underside parts...

uktotty

ooh looking good!!!!!!!

Louie

Sorry its been a while since this thread was updated....
It seems to have taken forever to finally piece all the puzzle together, but we are 95% there...

Car has finally had all is plumbing & wiring completed and this week has finally been started. It still needs the ECU tuned, brake pads (these seem to have been lost in transit) and the front top arms modified before it can be driven, but after so long its nice to finally here it make some noise!

Here is a short clip of its initial start up....  m http://www.youtube.com/user/Martman77#p ... WQ1-yZpoZg m

and some pics of the (near) finished article

Wearing some of its bodywork

The engine looking from inside the cockpit

engine

underneath & you can see the dry sump tank to the left of the pic

and the intercooler to the right of this pic

and a view from behind

and under the bonnet(?) the radiators for intercooler & engine and separate catch tanks for each, with lots of room left for a large fuel tank for endurance racing

E

Really looking forward to seeing ths baby go.   s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:

kentsmudger

Quote from: "E"Really looking forward to seeing ths baby go.
Me too - It looks awesome.
[size=85] Unichip, full Hayward & Scott exhaust, race cat and manifold - markiii pipe, K & N panel, EBC Ultimax Slotted Discs, EBC pads, TTE springs, Corky\'s Breastplate, front & rear strut braces, brass shift bushes, Hankook Ventus V12 Evos, CG-Lock. Bama deflector, Mongos, Devs key cover, TTE gear-knob. My car and my pics of other cars.

[centre] 'I am, and ever will be a white socks, pocket protector, nerdy engineer' - Neil Armstrong (1930 – 2012) [/size][/centre]

Wabbitkilla

What a monster ... I love it   s:D :D s:D
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

Anonymous

Awesome,keep up the good work.  s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:

Patch

s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

Rude.

StuM

Gutted, I drove drove round Timaru for 20 mins looking for an MR2 on a pole 3 weeks back - forgot to print off the address and had no internet access  s:-( :-( s:-(

Checked when we got back and probably passed 200m from you!

Car looking awesome!  Great effort.

Cheers,
Stu
Stu M

Ex 2001 Lagoon Blue Mr2 Roadster
Now - 1985 VW T25 Panel Van \":-)\"

Anonymous

Awesome project! Great job   s8) 8) s8)   Can't wait to see it rolling!

Louie

Quote from: "StuM"Gutted, I drove drove round Timaru for 20 mins looking for an MR2 on a pole 3 weeks back - forgot to print off the address and had no internet access  s:-( :-( s:-(

Checked when we got back and probably passed 200m from you!

Car looking awesome!  Great effort.

Cheers,
Stu

You should have stopped & asked some-one.... most car people around know about the car up the pole...

Finally got some brakes for the car today, now just have to wait for 25 January    s:( :( s:(   before it has a date with the dyno.....   s:D :D s:D

Louie

Well progress has been slow in the build up to the Christmas break & the car was ready & booked in to be dyno tuned early in the new year.

It finally made its first self propelled drive on Christmas Eve, albeit slowly.... but as you will see near the end of the video when the boss pops the clutch, it breaks the chain.

[youtube:1s4npd8w]JzkX31GiTYs[/youtube:1s4npd8w]
[Mod]video embedded[/Mod]

So the decision has been made to run dual chains. This means that its debut has been postponed while we re-engineer things, but it is "relatively" easy to do.

Here is the front sprocket we have had made to accommodate the dual chain...

And now the rear sprocket done as well...

Found a couple of other little faults with the car as well, so are now needing to redo the exhaust to make room for a muffler, a larger sprocket for the reverse gear & the addition of an altenator onto the rear axel to run all the electronics, data logging etc etc...

So its debut has been delayed for a bit longer yet....

Louie

As per the pics the MR-S has now had all its signwriting & graphix completed & even though the car itself still isnt 100% completed, it was good enough to have its first weekend away last weekend.

First had a photo shoot on Friday afternoon with New Zealand Performance Car Magazine

Then had the car on display at the 4 & Rotary championships, where we won the award for best engineering

Then to the drags on Sunday where the car was just on display again, and left on the trailer for people to see its nuts & bolts

Now we just need to finish re-mounting the reverse starter, altenator & make a modification to the front suspension top A arms & hopefully we will be ready for a dyno run/tune & then some testing!!!

Anonymous

all I can say is.......  s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:     s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

loadswine

+1 on that. Can't wait to see vid of it running in anger. Mean doesn't quite cover it.  s:) :) s:)
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

WillsSayers

Amazing work man, really amazing  s:D :D s:D

]Appearance:[/b] :: Pre-facelift Toyota Bodykit :: Ducktail Spoiler :: TTE Style Bar :: Custard Gas Struts ::
Chassis: :: Front and Rear Strut Brace :: C-One Front and Rear Anti-roll Bar ::

Tags: