My 1.8 to 4.2 V8 Conversion

Started by Paulm, March 29, 2010, 19:54

Paulm

Quite a few people have asked for a build thread on this as they are not members of Two brutal, where I normally reside, so here's an abridged version.

Firstly I got hold of a fire damaged shell to see if it would work as a conversion, before cutting up a perfectly good Mk3.
So i started with this:

Engine and box out and theres a nice amount of space

Cutting through the Firewall locates engine position

For the engine to fit

Performance:  4.2ltr V8 380hp conversion - DTA S80 ECU- DTA S80 EMS - Ferrari F360 exhaust - de-Cat\'d
Handling : Brace bars front & rear - EBC Drilled and Grooved - 205/225/40/17 - ETA Beta Alnir\'s- 2\'s rUS drop links - Ultimate breastplate
Future uprades - Supercharger- Ultimate floorpan brace and front brace - 355mm discs - Widebody kit

Paulm

I guess I should say the engine is the 340hp unit from the Audi S8 and box is from the Audi 2.5 tdi, I previsouly mocked up how it would fit together, after getting  a Ferrari f360 back box for it.
Theres been a lot of custom parts to manufacture including the flywheel, CV joints, driveshafts, petrol tank, engine mounts, subframe, centre exhaust pipes as well as access panels and front subframe and etc etc.

Performance:  4.2ltr V8 380hp conversion - DTA S80 ECU- DTA S80 EMS - Ferrari F360 exhaust - de-Cat\'d
Handling : Brace bars front & rear - EBC Drilled and Grooved - 205/225/40/17 - ETA Beta Alnir\'s- 2\'s rUS drop links - Ultimate breastplate
Future uprades - Supercharger- Ultimate floorpan brace and front brace - 355mm discs - Widebody kit

Paulm

The whole package fits in quite neatly, with the exhaust almost being made for to measure:

The modified driveshafts and CV joints

Making space for the gearbox was a tricky thing this is the start of the extra bracing to keep it all in the right place

Ilogik

jesus christ is all i can say lol.
Current: Genuine GT300 Monocraft running a 2ZZ-GE
Ex: Trial kitted Cam\'d Power fc
Ex: TRD stage 1 TTE Turbo

loadswine

I've said it before over on TB, but this is totally awesome Paul. I have to have a ride in this one day.   s8) 8) s8)
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

cclarke99

Beautifully done job, particularly like the way it fits right inside the luggage lockers - imagine the fright it wold give a customs officier searching your car. Amazed it fits so well in an MR2. Two questions

1. Have you actually driven it?
2. How do you change the spark plugs?

kentsmudger

(Edit due to comprehension difficulties    s:oops: :oops: s:oops:   )

But I see your point - Not much access for maintenance
[size=85] Unichip, full Hayward & Scott exhaust, race cat and manifold - markiii pipe, K & N panel, EBC Ultimax Slotted Discs, EBC pads, TTE springs, Corky\'s Breastplate, front & rear strut braces, brass shift bushes, Hankook Ventus V12 Evos, CG-Lock. Bama deflector, Mongos, Devs key cover, TTE gear-knob. My car and my pics of other cars.

[centre] 'I am, and ever will be a white socks, pocket protector, nerdy engineer' - Neil Armstrong (1930 – 2012) [/size][/centre]

Paulm

Quote from: "cclarke99"Beautifully done job, particularly like the way it fits right inside the luggage lockers - imagine the fright it wold give a customs officier searching your car. Amazed it fits so well in an MR2. Two questions

1. Have you actually driven it?
2. How do you change the spark plugs?

it's still about 60 hours of work to do, which is getting tricky as I've just had a baby girl ( well the wife has) so time is at a premium. In relation to spark plugs I've built in an access panel at the top, so i can do service jobs, should be able to do all the regualr servicing items in situ

Paulm

Quote from: "kentsmudger"(Edit due to comprehension difficulties    s:oops: :oops: s:oops:   )

But I see your point - Not much access for maintenance

Just enough to do all the basic jobs, belts, plugs, oil, filters, thermostats  and pumps

Anonymous

Epic build,really pushing the boundaries.  s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:

cclarke99

Just sent this to my brother in law - he's an Audi fan (drives an A8 diesel) and we've not had much in common car wise until now. How does the gearing work out with the diesel gearbox and the smaller MR2 wheels?

uktotty

awesome!
Does the roof still work?

ChrisGB

Impressive build that should result in an impressive drive. Will be interesting to see how you manage the rear crossmember to get it suitably rigid.

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

Ilogik

Whats the heat like in the cabin?
Current: Genuine GT300 Monocraft running a 2ZZ-GE
Ex: Trial kitted Cam\'d Power fc
Ex: TRD stage 1 TTE Turbo

JudoKilli

Quote from: "Ilogik"Whats the heat like in the cabin?

I'm guessing he'll always be warm in there! No need for the heaters ever to be on full blast!

Great looking build! Something I never thought could be done in a roadster!
And congratulations on the baby girl!   s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:

mattbrown82

Wow, that engine bay is fuller than a fat womans shoe!

Amazing project. Must be quite an experience to drive

Muchos Kudos   s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:
[size=85]00 silver
01 Blue 2zz - sold
03 Sable - sold[/size]

Jaik

Wow, so a V8 will fit. Just  s:D :D s:D

OlberJ

With the engine located longditudinaly it will actually cool better than the transverse engines as long as there is somewhere for the heat to escape as it comes up and out of the rear of the engine/gearbox.

With a good flow of air through the engine bay, unless you're sitting in heavy traffic there's no reason it should get that hot.
Black 1MZ V6 - TTE Springs - 17" wheels - F355 exhaust - LSD and ST182 FD - aka Black Bob Jnr

http://www.olbermotive.com

Paulm

The gearing should be pretty interesting, 3.50   1.89   1.32   0.87   0.67   0.56, which equates to top speeds in gear of....51,94,134,204,264,316   s:crazyeyes: :crazyeyes: s:crazyeyes:  
, becuase its a diesel box, its geared quite tall compared to a petrol box, but with it being driven by the V8 you get the high rpm limit, although smaller whels might be useful !   s:D :D s:D  

Currently the subframe is located in two dimesions, X and Y, but I need to add bracing for the Z dimension to make it stable.

Roof still works and I'm putting in a viewing window, to look down through and ito the engine bay.

I think it'll be a great pie warmer back there, although I have just cladd the whole engine bay in reflective sound proofing to try add a little bit of civility.

grsymons

I may have mentioned this before over on TB, but I am really looking forward to seeing this run down the strip.   s:evil: :evil: s:evil:  

I guess I should get off my ass and post my build up here too now   s:mrgreen: :mrgreen: s:mrgreen:

MR2 super GT

very mesmerising thread. proverbial hat tip to you.
when I\'m not in traction, I\'m in action

loadswine

Quote from: "grsymons"I guess I should get off my ass and post my build up here too now   s:mrgreen: :mrgreen: s:mrgreen:

Yes Gary, you should mate!
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

davidarden

Well that's just ridiculous...   s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:
2003 | Silver | TTE Springs | Twin H&S | No Precats | Toyo T1-R\'s | Red Calipers | De-badged | Pioneer DEH-50UB

muffdan

EPIC.
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

custardavenger

Hats off to you for doing it. I'd love to know what the cost per BHP is at the end of it.   s:D :D s:D
[size=150]Custard\'s Bonnet/Engine Cover Struts[/size] Clicky Round 2
Custard\'s Bracing Clicky Coming soon
Project Custard Clicky

Tags: