Custom Intakes

Started by Jap GT300, May 26, 2003, 13:36

Jap GT300

On my last 2' I bought an AEM CAI.  It cost nearly £200 which I thought was well over priced for what you got.  Physically and BHP wise.  I know Pelican Racing offered advice on creating a custom CAI.

I have managed to get hold of some well made intakes (paper, sponge or gauze manufactured)  These are copies of K&N, Blitz and HKS filters.  None of them have sealed tops so forced air induction could be allowed.

I was thinking of adding a straight pipe to the throttle body and locating the filter behind the battery (as with weapon R's intake).  Then you could add a cold air feed from the passenger air intake.  Do you think that will be a good setup?  I would have though that you'll get the same BHP as a professional CAI.

I may attempt to do this at JAE if I don't get round to it sooner!  if anyone wants to join me I'll bring some spares.

Adam

Anonymous

Yeah count me in adam!   s8) 8) s8)  

Could try using a heat sheld to, as i know a few people who have ahd problems with intakes on the 2 as all the intake dose is suck up hot air! But witht eh forced induction throught the pipe may help.

Hope that the BHP gains will be high tho   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:    s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

Jap GT300

I was against the idea of a heat shield because it will all ready be behind the battery.  It doesn't get very hot in that corner of the engine bay.  Heat shields sometimes do more bad then good.  If it was located near the exhaust or manifold then i think it could be useful.

The extra weight will effect the bhp gains as well  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

yeah come to think of it it's right by the side intake and the battery is protecting it from all the heat. Just make sure that it's well behind the battery just so it gets loads of cold air.

On the weight side make it out of titanium LOL   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

Quote from: "Jap GT300"I have managed to get hold of some well made intakes (paper, sponge or gauze manufactured)  These are copies of K&N, Blitz and HKS filters.

Without wishing to start a religious war  s:) :) s:) , I'd be most concerned about their filtration ability, before considering location. Clearly I've not seen them, and can make no judgement on their ability, but even some of the "bigger names" are reportedly poor.

Jap GT300

Phil,

I will bring some to JAE anyway but,  
The K&N has 2 layers of mesh with paper inside followed by another 2 layers of mesh with paper inside.  
The Blitz has a single layer of mesh (i've tried it and yes it is loud & deep).  Apparently you are meant to fill it with your own element.
The HKS has some sparsley compressed sponge, although it is quite thick in size.

If I was to use one it would be the K&N.  It also looks the best.

Adam

markiii

Adam,

While the air may be cooler, I've never tested it. It's worth mentioning that the sides vents are a low pressure area, i.e no air actually gets pushed through when driving. So If you after the a cold air flow as opposed to justa cooler location away from the exhaust it may not be worth your while.

Mark.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Jap GT300

I was discussing that with Steve.  Because the vent is in line with bodypanel not very air much passes through.

So, shall I buy a vent cover/scoop.  I think R-Spec and C-one sell them.  A similar design to the Clio V6, so that it sticks out from the bodywork

Or, shall i run a cold air feed to the bottom of the car from the filter.  Or do you think there is a better location?

Adam

Anonymous

the only problem i can see with running the cold intake a t the bottom of teh car is that it will suck up all of teh road dirt and block the filter quickly also when raining you may find a lot of water will be sucked up.

At least you will have a clean road LOL (road sweeper)  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Surely you must have enoght air flow from the side intakes, they are ment for the engine to cool down so they must have some air flow. To maxiumise the amount of air the pipe sucks up you can by adapotor plates from demon tweeks which go from what ever diameter hose you have to a elongated much larger area intake

Couldnt find a reducer thingy online but i have sean them around so if you can get one witha  larger diameter then you can get more air flow   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

markiii

Buster,

Beleive it or not our sinde vents are for visual effect only. The design of the car actually causes negative pressure which if anything sucks air out. Some of the guys in the states actually tested this.

Adam, my money would be on either a pipe going to a duct in the bottom nappy (you shouldn't get water or crap in teh filter as the filter will be up at deck height) or back to the stock air feed pipe from the left wing, if you are after any air pressure. If it's just cooler air then behind the battery shoud be fine. It just depends on what you are trying to acheive.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Jap GT300

Mark

My main objective is a Forced Cold Air Induction Kit.  They are generally used on front engine cars as it is easy to locate cold air and direct it to the filter, but a company called GruppeM makes these from Carbon Fibre for Ferraris.  So a mid engine setup must have its advantages once the cold air feed can be suitably placed

Adam

Anonymous

markii can you explain tho places a little more whats the lower nappy ????

Im realy suprised about the air ducts on the side tho but if you say that people have tryed it then im sure your right.

Would it not still have the opituty to suck up cold air as it is moving air being moved passed, but i supose if it's forced air suplly you want it dosent realy help   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:

markiii

Dave,

I don't think the testing was quite this scientific, but in theory if you modeled the car in a wind tunnel you should see that the air vortexs swirl in such a manner that the air actually gets sucked out of the side vents. Arguably this still aids cooling but wouldn't give you any forced air.

ref the nappy, by nappy I mean any of the cosmetic plastic undertrays you will see under your car. Such as the one by the exhaust (Which incidentaly you will need to cut if you buy that magnex exhaust), there is another one slightly further forward which sits under the engine. In theory it should protect the engine bay from any rocks that get thrown up. I would set a scoop, something like demon tweeks sell, upside down into that, and then feed the pipe straight up to the filter.

Mark

Anonymous

oh i see, But dose it not matter that the air wontbe clean air! as it may suck up dirt of the road and then block the filter.

this is the problem with rear engine cars i supose!  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

markiii

shouldn't be a problem as the filter can cope with dust , nothing else should get far enough up the pipe to be an issue.

Anonymous

found it !

surely that will create engoth air flow for forced induction!

it's using the whole vent,   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

Anonymous

Depends, as you can see Mark reckons that the side vents are a low pressure area (which is believable if you look at the shape of the bodywork), in which case it would make much of a difference.

--H--

Tags: