My 3SGTE engine install

Started by grsymons, March 31, 2010, 21:04

Rowland

It'll all be worth it in the end buddy.
I've just come in from a 40 mile drive in my 3SGTE MR-S and it is epic quick !!

s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

grsymons

Thats good to hear   s:D :D s:D   It certainly is alot of work!

loadswine

Great stuff Gary, ace to see the progress.   s:D :D s:D
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

Paulm

Keep it going gazmeister
Performance:  4.2ltr V8 380hp conversion - DTA S80 ECU- DTA S80 EMS - Ferrari F360 exhaust - de-Cat\'d
Handling : Brace bars front & rear - EBC Drilled and Grooved - 205/225/40/17 - ETA Beta Alnir\'s- 2\'s rUS drop links - Ultimate breastplate
Future uprades - Supercharger- Ultimate floorpan brace and front brace - 355mm discs - Widebody kit

grsymons

Exhaust downpipe now wrapped and coolant hoses fitted. The hose in the first pic passes fairly close to the downpipe so that has also been fitted with heat wrap.

The mk3 does not have a heater return line so this has been plugged on the engine.

I have also made a rubber gasket to fit behind the inlet fan, this ensures the fan only pulls in cool air and prevents air recirculation.

grsymons

Today I knocked up a mount for the air filter by modifying the old rev 1 k&n mount and fabricating a bit of exhaust pipe and plate. The air flow meter has been removed as it will not be required when i go standalone (syvecs)

loadswine

You're getting pretty close to finishing now Gary. Great stuff mate.   s8) 8) s8)

grsymons

Today I started looking at the bov installation. As stated previously I have had to turn the turbo inlet elbow around to clear the bulkhead, this puts the bov pipe connection on the wrong side.

This is how I think it will get plumbed up at the moment. (it still needs a little rephasing to clear the bulkhead)

grsymons

I now have the bov pipe routing and engine breather sorted. I made the bov pipe by cutting and joining 2 rev 1 bov steel pipes. The breather elbow is made from plumbing fittings.

Paulm

Nice work gary, keep it up fella
Performance:  4.2ltr V8 380hp conversion - DTA S80 ECU- DTA S80 EMS - Ferrari F360 exhaust - de-Cat\'d
Handling : Brace bars front & rear - EBC Drilled and Grooved - 205/225/40/17 - ETA Beta Alnir\'s- 2\'s rUS drop links - Ultimate breastplate
Future uprades - Supercharger- Ultimate floorpan brace and front brace - 355mm discs - Widebody kit

grsymons

cheers paul, just paypal'ed you some cash   s:D :D s:D

Paulm

Quote from: "grsymons"cheers paul, just paypal'ed you some cash   s:D :D s:D

Cheers Gary, is that just a donation or do want somehting for it   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Midshipman

Wow, really amazing work.   s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:
[size=150]With a good iron pipe you hit the world with amazement!![/size]
http://www.garaget.org/?car=97192
Black \'00, Red ltr, TM duals, PPE CAI, B&M short shift,Aluminum shifter knob, JDM HVAC panel, US mats, Red/black shift boot, Clear turn signal, Beatrush front strut bar, Steel braided clutch hose, Speed source solid brass shift cable bushings, Black J-Spec front badge, J-spec rear badge, DevĀ“s keyhole cover. And K-sport coil-overs.

grsymons

Thanks,

A small victory today, filled the engine and gearbox oil, did a little wiring and had the engine cranking over on the starter. Not really a big deal I know, but it made me smile   s:P :P s:P

DannyN

Hey thats gotta be counted as a milestone
-Engine turned over on starter = check!
Quote from: \"DannyN\"There are 10 types of people in the world,
Those who understand Binary and those that don\'t...

[size=75]Black 51 165 BHP - Hardtop ON - Teins - Apexi Power FC - AEM Induction (Cleaned) - Crower Cams - Forged Pistons - Iridium Plugs - Zero Manifold - SP Downpipe - H&S - TRD SS - Corkys MSMB - Goodridge - \'03 Vents - Devs - Bamas - Crystal Indies - Mongos.
[/size]

grsymons

Luckily for me the battery cable I had previously used on the mk1 project is a perfect length to use again. As it goes under the car I have wrapped it in some heavy duty conduit.

Below you can see the end fitted to the starter motor, also note the main mk3 wiring loom also will take its power from this point. Since this photo was taken it has been fully enclosed in conduit and the routing tidied up.

The fuel supply and return lines have now been installed around the bay. I have fitted an external fuel filter as I am not planning on using the mk3 item, more on that to follow once I have finalised the fuel pump install.

Also completed is the brake vacuum line.

Below you can see the routing of the power cable and the vacuum line (above the fuel tank)

I have been having issues with the clutch master cylinder not bleeding properly, after removing and inspecting it (twice). I decided it would be easier to fit my old mk1 cylinder. The length from the bulkhead mounting to the joint was a little too short so I used a short adaptor and the mk3 clevis joint.

As the outlet is in a different position to the standard pipe, a new one was knocked up. I now have a perfect working clutch, even better it didnt cost anything to repair.

grsymons

After a bit of thought I think I have a solution for the fuel pump install. The issue to overcome is that the mk3 does not have a fuel return to tank line. I will use the filter assemblies current supply line as the return and add a new supply line.
Below I have enlarged the centre hole for the new pump and drilled through the opening on the right for the return line.

I added a couple of slots at the base to allow the filter material to be removed, the returned fuel will also exit through these slots. Note that I will be using an external fuel filter so this was redundant anyway.

Next I assembled the walbro pump with its fittings.

The pump is then inserted into the holder.

The new electrical connector is soldered onto the upper housing.

Finally a couple of pics of the finished assembly.

Also, I wasnt happy with the filler install so I remade it and created a little guard for the ignitor.

I thought the aem air/fuel gauge was feeling lonely so I bought it a friend.

Now the real fun and games begins!

loadswine

Nice work Gary.   s:) :) s:)   That wiring should be interesting.

grsymons

Charcoal cannister now fitted and plumbed into the fuel tank.

I have also installed the gauges & the sequential shift lights

grsymons

Parcelfarce have just been, looks like I have some more spannering to do today.

loadswine

Getting the old ones off might be a grindering day too mate!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

grsymons

I came to the same conclusion today and decided to do some wiring instead   s:D :D s:D

grsymons

I have had a good weekend on the car and the engine bay is now pretty much wired up. I just need to source a suitable IAT sensor, coolant sensor (m16x1.5 tapping) & oil pressure sensor (1/8"bspt tapping) for the syvecs ecu.

DannyN

Quote from: "loadswine"Getting the old ones off might be a grindering day too mate!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Its the only conclusion really, its so easy to do with the grinder and such a pig to do the conventional way that I dont see the point in people trying for hours on end with plusgas and tools to try and undo them only to grind at least one off in the end anyway.
Just get the grinder out from the beginning   s:D :D s:D
Quote from: \"DannyN\"There are 10 types of people in the world,
Those who understand Binary and those that don\'t...

[size=75]Black 51 165 BHP - Hardtop ON - Teins - Apexi Power FC - AEM Induction (Cleaned) - Crower Cams - Forged Pistons - Iridium Plugs - Zero Manifold - SP Downpipe - H&S - TRD SS - Corkys MSMB - Goodridge - \'03 Vents - Devs - Bamas - Crystal Indies - Mongos.
[/size]

grsymons

yeah, the grinder will be coming out for them once the car is off the ramps and the wheels come off.

Ive not done too much on the car for the last couple of days as I had a clutch to change on my mums peugeot.
As per my last post the wiring is just about done now, once finished and proved it will get wrapped up.

Annoyingly the filler neck for the charecooler fell right in the path of the cross brace so that had a little attention today.

Tags: