2010 Race Car Build - 3SGTE MRS [Updated with video & pics]

Started by Rowland, April 6, 2010, 16:38

Rowland

Hi all,

On the back of completing a couple of seasons racing in a mk2 MR2 2007-2008 and more recently a mk3 in 2009, my attention towards the end of last year was becoming ever more focussed on the new Super GT series and the challenge of racing a more highly tuned MR2 be it mk2 or mk3.

Bang for buck, and brain said mk2, for driving enjoyment and superior chassis my heart longed for a high performance mk3.
After much deliberating and research I went with my heart and have embarked on a new challenge for 2010, selling the n/a mk3 race car from last year to ROC member and well regarded MR2 enthusiast Toni Gladding who some of you may know.
Wishing Toni well with her newly adopted play-thing, I began putting together a strategy for creating a Super GT Car that would be competitive on a sensible budget within the fierce territory of fire breathing MR2 monster creations.
Once again the guys at Rogue Motorsport were on hand to steer me through the murky waters of fact Vs fiction and the various pitfalls that were best well avoided.

The weapon of choice was to be a mk3 Roadster, a cheap and cheerful model that wouldn't break the bank and would offer a good platform to develop into something special.
The most difficult decision was the engine choice.
Did I go turbo 1ZZ, 2ZZ, or go for a more bespoke approach, V6 perhaps?
Feeling like Alessio (illogic) in a world of endless questions and confusion I began to think back to how much I enjoyed my tuned mk2 rev5 turbo and how tuning parts were common place within the online MR2 fraternity, performance gains were instant and rarely fruitless.
Wading in with the big boys would require plenty of power, the potential to tune and develop, to tweak, adjust and fettle.

Then on a cold January morning at the Autosport show NEC an impromptu
talk through with Matt at Rogue took place and a decision was made.
We'd put a 3SGTE into a mk3 Roadster and go racing!

Right, I'm waffling for England, time for some pics.

Last years 1ZZ race car and my most enjoyable season yet.
Under the control of Toni I really hope she performs well.

Should have probably been the donor car first but it happened that the right engine came along days after making the decision to go 3SGTE mk3..
A revision 4 low mileage engine in a rev 2 car was purchased complete through an imoc member.

The car was accident damaged with thankfully no serious injury sustained to the owner.

Engine was ideal for what I was after and well cared for judging by the mass of paperwork with the car.

Exactly two days later a bargain of the century mk3 came up for sale in London. (Pictured)
I was there like a shot, deal done at £1,600 cash and drove it home flawlessly.

The mk2 was stripped and engine removed.

As was the mk3, allowing work to commence.

At this point I must apologise as work has continued on and off for the last 3-4 weeks and I haven't been over to Rogue to take any more photographs.
I'll get some more by the end of the week.

In essence the following is now complete. (Pics coming soon)

New Brakes – Carbotech all round plus new discs
Wheels Advans sprayed black (Thanks Allesio)
Roll cage in and completed
Custom driveshaft's delivered
All engine wiring done (Thanks Lyndon)
Chassis work modified
Engine in/out/in/out numerous times before final fit.
Heat protection to fire wall completed
Extinguisher and ignition safety pulls fitted
Lightweight battery and carbon enclosure
ST205 Chargecooler fitted
R888's with 245 rear tyres
Hardtop installed

Parts delivered not yet fitted.

Race cell
APR Carbon wing mirrors
C1 style side vents
BC Racing susension

The plan is the car to be finished in the next couple of weeks, off to the bodyshop for white or white/black respray, some aero work including APR rear spoiler and it's ready for a track day shake down.

The ethos behind the project is one of development.
I'd like to take this year to develop the car as well as racing it, and have fun in doing so.
Bhp wise I'm looking to play it safe with 260-280bhp to start with, long term a forged engine will be fitted next year.

Rowland

PS. I'll update this thread when I can. For now its turned out to be a bit of a mass of pics and words/thoughts that if I don't place on the forum I probably never will !

muffdan

Good work Roland, that looks awesome!
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

grsymons

cool, another 3s powered mk3!

Are you still keeping it road legal?, would be a shame not to   s:mrgreen: :mrgreen: s:mrgreen:

MisterK

Love these build threads.  Roland - don't worry about too many photo's, these speak for themselves.  Looking forward to the next update.  You'll have to post up when you will be out on track with the car & I'll try to get along to see how it goes (Silverstone, Mallory or Donnington if any racing happening there this year).  Keep the updates coming.
MarkK
MARK K - Original Owner/ \'Best In Class\' winner, \'Show n Shine\', MR2DC National Event 2017.

Ilogik

Just to keep you inspired :p

go on  s:P :P s:P

Current: Genuine GT300 Monocraft running a 2ZZ-GE
Ex: Trial kitted Cam\'d Power fc
Ex: TRD stage 1 TTE Turbo

aluk49

If its near being finished, there is a Rockingham track day with spaces going on the 26th this month...would be great to see your car there.

Al

http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=29044&start=0

Rowland

Quote from: "grsymons"cool, another 3s powered mk3!

Are you still keeping it road legal?, would be a shame not to   s:mrgreen: :mrgreen: s:mrgreen:

Yes matey, it'll be kept road legal for occasional road use.

Quote from: "aluk49"If its near being finished, there is a Rockingham track day with spaces going on the 26th this month...would be great to see your car there.

Hmm, interesting. I do need to get out on track by the tail end of April / early May.
We'll see how progress goes but will post up when I book a track day.

s:D :D s:D

loadswine

Very nice matey, that should be a real piece of kit, a real fab drive.  s:D :D s:D
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

Rowland

Quote from: "loadswine"Very nice matey, that should be a real piece of kit, a real fab drive.  s:D :D s:D

The 3.0 V6 *is* lovely in the mk3.
The 2.0 turbo has the tune-ability though and gives the freedom to push boundrys a little.
I just hope the handling isn't comprised.

*crosses fingers*

s:) :) s:)

Ilogik

If the handling feels funny you could always go monocraft widebody :p

Anonymous

Quote from: "Ilogik"If the handling feels funny you could always go monocraft widebody :p
Come on Al - you've only just had the car   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Ilogik

haha not my one  s:P :P s:P  Plan is to keep it as long as possible before the gf feels deprived of my attention   s:D :D s:D

loadswine

Quote from: "Rowland"
Quote from: "loadswine"Very nice matey, that should be a real piece of kit, a real fab drive.  s:D :D s:D

The 3.0 V6 *is* lovely in the mk3.
The 2.0 turbo has the tune-ability though and gives the freedom to push boundrys a little.
I just hope the handling isn't comprised.

*crosses fingers*

s:) :) s:)

Are you having a V6 done as well?
Agree totally on the tuneability of the 3s-gte, its got all the right ingredients. I guess weight wise its similar to my V6, so it will handle just fine as long as you get it all braced up. ( I know you'll do that anyway) Understeer may increase a little due to the weight, but with Rogue sorting the build for you, I am sure that can be dialled out.  s:) :) s:)
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

Rowland

Quote from: "loadswine"Are you having a V6 done as well?

No, but I've been lucky enough to drive a 3.0 V6 MR-S a few times and know that it really is a fantastic combination!

kentsmudger

Looks like an interesting build - Not seen this done before. Will look forward to seeing you on track again

Just curious why you didn't reuse last year's car - Already stripped and caged etc?
[size=85] Unichip, full Hayward & Scott exhaust, race cat and manifold - markiii pipe, K & N panel, EBC Ultimax Slotted Discs, EBC pads, TTE springs, Corky\'s Breastplate, front & rear strut braces, brass shift bushes, Hankook Ventus V12 Evos, CG-Lock. Bama deflector, Mongos, Devs key cover, TTE gear-knob. My car and my pics of other cars.

[centre] 'I am, and ever will be a white socks, pocket protector, nerdy engineer' - Neil Armstrong (1930 – 2012) [/size][/centre]

Paulm

Quote from: "kentsmudger"Looks like an interesting build - Not seen this done before. Will look forward to seeing you on track again

Just curious why you didn't reuse last year's car - Already stripped and caged etc?

+1
Performance:  4.2ltr V8 380hp conversion - DTA S80 ECU- DTA S80 EMS - Ferrari F360 exhaust - de-Cat\'d
Handling : Brace bars front & rear - EBC Drilled and Grooved - 205/225/40/17 - ETA Beta Alnir\'s- 2\'s rUS drop links - Ultimate breastplate
Future uprades - Supercharger- Ultimate floorpan brace and front brace - 355mm discs - Widebody kit

Rowland

Quote from: "kentsmudger"Just curious why you didn't reuse last year's car - Already stripped and caged etc?

A good question, like you I originally thought this would be the best viable option.

However, by buying the RIGHT mk2 turbo and the RIGHT mk3 I carefully worked towards obtaining both cars at close to cost zero.
How, you might ask?
The damaged mk2 was purchased at £2,000 and gave me a strong rev4 3STE engine.
Omitting the cost of the guys at Rogue pulling the engine out, the car had desirable aftermarket additions that were stripped and sold at a total return of £2,000
The mk3 as I've mentioned before cost me just £1,600
The 1ZZ engine/box, soft top roof, leather seats and odds and sods were stripped and sold at a total return of over £1,000 with some bits left to sell on.

Therefore omitting Rogue Motorsport workshop costs I had a healthy engine and a base car for under £500

philster_d

Race ultrapreneur !

tonigmr2

Yeah he'd have had to put a few quid into converting the car I've got, plus it had a nice new engine and stuff.  Plus, dare I mention, at the time he sold it to me he was hellbent on going MK2.  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Glad he did, (not that I've used it in anger yet, boo hoo!).
Yellow 55 with hardtop and aircon!

Louie

Quote from: "Rowland"
Quote from: "kentsmudger"Just curious why you didn't reuse last year's car - Already stripped and caged etc?

The mk3 as I've mentioned before cost me just £1,600
The 1ZZ engine/box, soft top roof, leather seats and odds and sods were stripped and sold at a total return of over £1,000 with some bits left to sell on.

Exactly what we did with the Hayabusa powered MR-S we are building. As the MR-S's arent all that common in NZ there is good money to be made in selling it as parts. We paid $4000 (nzd) & have sold close to $5000 worth of bits off it already & still have many many more OEM parts to sell...

philster_d

Hi Toni, welcome back to the ownership fold.

Paulm

Will you be racing in the 2010 series ?  Will keep an eye out, good luck
Performance:  4.2ltr V8 380hp conversion - DTA S80 ECU- DTA S80 EMS - Ferrari F360 exhaust - de-Cat\'d
Handling : Brace bars front & rear - EBC Drilled and Grooved - 205/225/40/17 - ETA Beta Alnir\'s- 2\'s rUS drop links - Ultimate breastplate
Future uprades - Supercharger- Ultimate floorpan brace and front brace - 355mm discs - Widebody kit

Rowland

Well it's been a few weeks since I've been over to see progression on the car, and this weekend I wasn't disappointed with what met my eyes!
My 3SGTE powered MR-S Super GT car was awaiting me and was looking like a race car!
The engine looked happy in it's new home and with an effortless flick of the key a whurr from the charge cooler pump and a 'ta wooo-woooo woooo brrrrrr' the 3SGTE engine fired up with intended purpose, idling nicely.

m http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QPKSHvXEYo m

The guys at Rogue, in particular Matt, Workshop Manager and Phil, all round MR2 guru have created a UK first and something I really can't wait to take home next weekend.
Next stop is a wheel alignment, thorough road test and then a shake down test day to see how she performs.
Some pics in the meantime.

Ilogik

Top trumps mate!!

If you want wheel alignment doing, go here, the guy used to set up touring cars, and for 45 quid you cant' go wrong.

m http://www.alineyourcar.co.uk/ m

They will set it up however you want. Seeing my old wheels in black and the way the car is I regret not doing them black!! Makes me miss my silver car lol. Wheres the side vents or am i going blind?

You going to get the wide arch kit like on the red car and Si's one?

Rowland

Quote from: "Ilogik"Top trumps mate!!

If you want wheel alignment doing, go here, the guy used to set up touring cars, and for 45 quid you cant' go wrong.

m http://www.alineyourcar.co.uk/ m

They will set it up however you want. Seeing my old wheels in black and the way the car is I regret not doing them black!! Makes me miss my silver car lol. Wheres the side vents or am i going blind?

You going to get the wide arch kit like on the red car and Si's one?

Thanks Allesio, I'll look into it. Website is nicely informative too.
The side vents and carbon bits are at home for now.
All the glitz and what-not will be added sometime soon.
At the moment it's about finishing off a few odds and ends, wiring in the DL1 stuff and dash 3 unit.

Yes the wide arch kit looks superb and I'd really like a set fitted at some point.
As you can well imaging I've got a wish list as long as my arm which has to be realistically prioritised according to finances.

By the end of the year I hope to have it just as I want it.

Tags: