Larger wheels adjustment

Started by Anonymous, March 8, 2004, 09:20

SteveJ

Quote from: "markiii"what size wheels are on the back of yours  :-) :-) :-)

s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  Ok - I'll admit I have post face-lift car with 16" rears, but of the 3 points I have raised against fitting larger wheels :-

1) Rotational inertia.

Slightly worse than 15's, but nowhere near as bad as 17's

2) Gyroscopic effect.

See 1) except it doesn't apply to the rear wheels (unless the back-end is going sideways and then I really couldn't give a s**t) as they don't change direction in the same manner that the front's do

3) Unsprung Weight

IIRC, no increase in total mass so no effect.

Why do you think Toyota left the front wheels alone when they face-lifted the car   s:?: :?: s:?:

markiii

I agree, but either the engineers increased the rears so they could go bigger width, to tame the oversteer (unlikely as you can get 7" wide 15" wheels) or it was the designers because the rear wheel arch gap always looked  silly compared to teh front..

how I'd love to get inside teh designers head, then I could ask, why did we get this sh*te engine as well  :-) :-) :-)
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

mph

The 'official' reason was to 'make it look more sporty'.
[size=92]Martin[/size][size=75]
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S
'01 Black MR2 Roadster SMT turbo[/size]

aaronjb

Quote from: "Slacey"
Quote from: "Sundance"Or is he staying away to dodge the incoming fire (can't say I blame him really!   s:D :D s:D  )
I dodge nothing!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

For his wings are like a shield of steel!  s;) ;) s;)

I did ponder changing to the '03 setup (15" front, 16" rear) as part of my '03ifying'.. but only if I can find a stock set for cheap..

Then again, might have to get mine refurbed anyway as guess what? Yup - all the laquer & paint is starting to flake off on the edges of the spokes..
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

DAZ400

Ok so 17's depending on make & tyre combination might be slightly heavier so the initial force required is more but in the real world it makes bugger all real difference.

The overal radius is pretty much the same so gyro effect pha do you see touring cars running on little wheels I don't think so. Do they have big handeling problems well NO. Yes I know they have very light wheels but they still have a heavy bit of rubber attached to the outside.

Ask yoursel some questions.

1. Do you want the lightest fastest road car ?
Yes - you have bought the wrong Car.
No - you have made a good choice.

2. Do you want to live in the real world and have a car that looks nice handels well goes quite quick ?

You can have this but everything is a compramise. My intension is to have a quick car that looks nice and handels well. I have modded it to achieve these results as I see fit and am happy with it.

IMO the 2 looks much better with 17's but just make your choice....... its your car no one else's.

s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:     s:D :D s:D     s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:     s:D :D s:D
SOLD No more 2. Just a bus for the family..........

markiii

agreed it's all individual choice. but remember touring cars or any other that runs large wheels as they come from the factory will have had the suspension, final drive, gear ratios e.t.c chosen with the whole package in mind.

Touring cars also run huge wop off brakes, which need big wheels to house them
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

markiii

oh and unless you choose superlight (read expensive wheels) they will be more than a little heavier.

by way of example. stock front wheel are under 14lbs in weigth. most MOMO 17" for example are 28Lb or higer

thats doubleing teh unsprung weight before you add tyres.

quite apart from the effect on handling unsprung weight normally counts 4 times as much as sprung weight, so thats 14lb per wheel 14 x 4 x 4 = 112lb of ballast you've effectively added to teh car.

thats nearly as much as a passenger, and I certainly notice the difference when there is 2 of us in teh car.

Peter Laborne

Quote from: "DAZ400"do you see touring cars running on little wheels I don't think so. Do they have big handeling problems well NO.

Don't think of one thing at a time. Yes touring cars have large~ish wheels (16" OR 17"), however, you must not forget that there is a hell of a lot of other changes that stop them having big handling problems. Suspension, steering turn ratio, angle of wheels are just a few of the changes. Then these are set up for each circuit. A set up for Brands Indy would be no good for Brands Int.

If I chose 17"ers and had an BTCC team and equiptment to work on my 2, then I would expect it to handle well.

Tem

Don't forget they are using huge brakes...those simply won't fit inside a 13" wheel  s8) 8) s8)

Ever noticed how WRC cars use huge brakes (and wheels) on tarmac rallies, but smaller ones with less grippy surfaces..? There's no need for huge brakes on gravel/snow, so they can use smaller wheels as well. On tarmac, the smaller brakes just won't do it...
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

DAZ400

Like I said it is a compramise I like the look of the 17's and IMO there is no real loss of performance to make me compramise the looks for a bit less weight. Hey I got a turbo and loads of other good bits .......
SOLD No more 2. Just a bus for the family..........

Anonymous

to be fair MOMO's have got to be one of the heaviest wheels going if used as a comparrison, good quality...but heavy as hell

markiii

I think your right they are

and soft too, they bend easy

just happened to be a weight I had to hand.

In fairness I think light enough wheels with the appropriate profile would probably be ok.

but your talking mucho dosh to get them and the tyre profiles are so thin, IF you can get them that the ride quality is hopeless.

especially with teh sportivo, thats why I sold, my kidneys were hurting.

Tags: