Rolling when changing lanes

Started by Chris 180SX, April 10, 2010, 17:17

Chris 180SX

Hi guys, just having a bit of a problem with the car's handling...

Everything was fine yesterday on the motorway at speed nice and tight firm and just normal, also quick round roundabouts, nice and flat.

Then today I take the car out and get up to speed (70) on the motorway and change lanes and the car seems to "wallow" and roll disconcertingly.  It is less noticable at low speeds but you can tell the car is nowhere near as flat, and at speed feels worrying.  I checked my tyres, they were 2psi above on all so lowered to 26/32 - this made little difference.  I had a quick look under and the sway bars seem attached, and nothing visibly seems broken/falling off!  

I was just wondering if anyone had any idea what this is likely to be?

Many thanks   s:) :) s:)

Anonymous

Are you sure you wern't on a 'rolling road'?   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Now over to someone sensible ...

markiii

did you check teh arb links when you checked the arbs?

are they standard links?
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Chris 180SX

Thanks for the response, and yes they are standard - I didn't do much with the links but they look as I'd expect.. It seems the roll is coming from the rear...  The car has 84000 miles by the way

markiii

unlikely but i'ved heard of it happening

have you snapped a spring?

are you running crash bolts, have they slipped?
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Chris 180SX

Not sure what crash bolts are, the car is stock though..  Went for a drive with my dad and he suggested either shocks or a snapped spring.  The effect was immediate from perfect handling to very bad, as if there was no gradual wear, just an immediate failure...

Anonymous

Out of interest was this when moving from lane one to lane two?

I only say this because of the nasty heavy trucks mainly using lane one, the constant heavy pounding by the heavies leaves a nice rutted tram line which can even make 44 tons of artic wallow   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

markiii

if you or a previous owner had trouble getting the alignment in spec you can get smaller bolts for the hub to shock joint to allow more movement.

they are called crash bolts as they are often needed on cars that have been in a shunt trouble is being smaller than teh holes (to allow adjustment) they can slip

that said with the mileage and symptoms, I'm with your dad

blown shock or snapped spring

Chris 180SX

Ah thanks, silly question but the springs if they are snapped would be able to be moved by hand a bit, would they?  Just not too sure on diagnosing further...

markiii

well i can move a none snapped one by hand

and I've never experienced one snap

suppose it depends on where it snaps

Chris 180SX

Hmmm guess I'll be jacking up and reporting back tomorrow, thanks for all your help   s:D :D s:D

mrzwei

Just to eliminate the shocks, press down on each corner, there should be significant resistance on the downward push and the car should return to the 'stock ' position with only one and a bit bounces. Also, all of the corners should respond in the same way. If not then it's possible it's a shock. If there are signs of fluid leakage then that would be another pointer. Not many posts that I can remember about failed shocks on here so it's just about eliminating a possible variable really.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

Chris 180SX

Thanks I did try that they all were quite firm but came back the same with just the rebound, no bouncing.. No visible leaks either.. I have been listening to the car and over bumps I do hear more of a knocking from the right rear but not sure if I'm getting paranoid now!

markiii

Quote from: "mrzwei"Just to eliminate the shocks, press down on each corner, there should be significant resistance on the downward push and the car should return to the 'stock ' position with only one and a bit bounces. Also, all of the corners should respond in the same way. If not then it's possible it's a shock. If there are signs of fluid leakage then that would be another pointer. Not many posts that I can remember about failed shocks on here so it's just about eliminating a possible variable really.
themselves

personal experience when doing this press on teh actal shock towers

otherwise you can dent the wings

mrzwei

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:   good point, but you know what I mean
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

Chris 180SX

Just to update, I've had the car up and wheels off - every spring is solid, all suspension components are very firm, no goo from ball joints, no evidence of bush wear anywhere!  So I kind of am presuming I'll have to look at new shocks, what do people think of the kyb ones on camskill (for about 260 a set?)

markiii

kyb make teh oem shocks so are a good make, but if budget allows I'd look at an upgrade whilst your doing ti

Chris 180SX

I'd love to upgrade, and I like the look of lowered ones much more (25-30mm I think is ok) BUT the roads are really so bad round here that the ride is definitely as firm as I'd want it to be honest   s:( :( s:(    I went done this route with my 180sx with coilovers and harder bushes etc but doing my 500 mile a week commute it just became painful!   s:( :( s:(

markiii

TTE Springs won;' affect the ride quality noticeably but they will improve teh handling and teh looks

uktotty

Sounds mad but check your tyre pressures, I had issues with this and it was low tyre pressures or inconsitant ones

Chris 180SX

Quote from: "uktotty"Sounds mad but check your tyre pressures, I had issues with this and it was low tyre pressures or inconsitant ones

Hi thanks, I did think of this - all were 2psi above book but changing them did not resolve   s:( :( s:(

newboi

Quote from: "markiii"TTE Springs won;' affect the ride quality noticeably but they will improve the handling and the looks

+1

I fitted some Tein springs yesterday and the ride quality is pretty much the same but handling & looks improved.  IMO spend money on some quality springs and the ride quality won't be affected (Tein, TTE, Eibach).
[size=85]2000 Roadster
Amuse lightweight manifold, AEM Cold Air Induction, eBay exhaust, Tein S.Tech springs, Lenso RS5 alloys, Toyo T1Rs[/size]

markiii

Quote from: "uktotty"Sounds mad but check your tyre pressures, I had issues with this and it was low tyre pressures or inconsitant ones

he did that first

Chris 180SX

Hi chaps, just to update I fitted new shocks, droplinks all round and track rod ends, and the problem is still there!!  (Possibly getting worse)  Just wondering if anyone had any other suggestions?   s:) :) s:)

Ilogik

Does it feel like the back end wants to swing round?  I had this, it went once the tyres were replaced first time round.

I found sometimes i experiance it when i drive my car now, but it only ever happened's  on one road, im wondering if the road is strange or acts as a wind trap getting under the car hence why you feel it less at lower speeds.
Current: Genuine GT300 Monocraft running a 2ZZ-GE
Ex: Trial kitted Cam\'d Power fc
Ex: TRD stage 1 TTE Turbo

Tags: