Why new caliper needed?

Started by jonytom, April 19, 2010, 15:19

jonytom

Car in for service & MOT at Toyota Durham today. They're telling me the handbrake isn't working on near side and that new cables and caliper are needed. They reckon £700 for parts and work! Thing is, brakes are working fine with foot brake, so why would I need a new caliper just for the handbrake? Any clues? £700 sounds like a hell of a lot to me!
[size=75]Black \'03, black leather, TTE lowering springs, Markiii pipe, Corky\'s plate, J-Spec steering wheel badge, club windscreen sticker, red calipers with Toyota styling, Toyota GB body kit, Goodyear F1 Eagles (GS-D3), Dev\'s keyhole covers, black (painted) J-Spec nose badge[/size]

muffdan

The handbrake is a separate part of the rear calipers. having a working foot brake but failing hand brake is quite common.

As to whether it needs replacing is a different matter. You would think they know how to adjust the hand brake, but for that sort of money I'd be taking the car back and inspecting them myself. There's a guide on here explaining how to adjust the hand brake. Definitely worth having a go at it yourself!
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

philster_d

this one ?  l viewtopic.php?f=47&t=9783 l

Pictures seem to be down tho

nathanMR2

If its needed, i got a recon unit from these guys  m http://www.toyota.car-brakes.co.uk/ m  They also do loads of other braking parts.

A good service and reasonably priced. You have to pay a surcharge of around £90 on the callipers, but this is (and was promptly) refunded on return of my old calliper.
MR2 Roadster TTE Turbo - now sold and 2less but forever an enthusiast

ChrisHumes

hi mate, get yourself along to s-cars in spennymoor, they will tell you whats needed for alot less than that!

Tags: