rear strut braces

Started by Anonymous, March 8, 2004, 22:13

Anonymous

Part performance and part looks really, but do any suppliers make a decent good looking rear strut brace for the engine bay?  Cusco or the likes?

Would like to upgrade handling but at the same time would also like to dress up the engine bay as well now the turbo's going in.

SteveJ

Quote from: "perry190"Part performance and part looks really, but do any suppliers make a decent good looking rear strut brace for the engine bay?  Cusco or the likes?

Would like to upgrade handling but at the same time would also like to dress up the engine bay as well now the turbo's going in.

I was considering the rear strut brace, so did a bit of research on spyderchat (prior to their crash), and someone had done some serious testing on the front and rear towers using strain guages, and found that there was some 5mm or more of movement on the front towers, but less than 1mm on the rears (with the stock brace). This leads me to believe that upgrading the rear brace is just a cosmetic excercise.

That brings me to the turbo - what kit are you fitting, as Martin has had to ditch his rear strut brace as the additional cross-member fouls the turbo manifold.

Anonymous

PE kit, standard strut barce is fine not 100% about the extra cross over tho

SteveJ

Same kit as Martin - save your £'s and don't buy the strut brace

(Just to clarify Martin did have the TRD strut brace, and is now running the stock one)

markiii

much better spent onto the front brace, which makes a huge difference.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Yeah indeed, the front brace makes ALL the difference.

Anonymous

yep looks like it would be in  the way as you say

Tem

Quote from: "perry190"Part performance and part looks really, but do any suppliers make a decent good looking rear strut brace for the engine bay?

I like the look of TRD...but like others already said, it's mostly for the looks. It probably does something for performance, but you need more than a buttmeter to see if it does. I never bothered to check my laptimes with stock/TRD or antyhing though...

I got it as a package of Sportivo, front brace and member brace set  s8) 8) s8)
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

mph

I have a TRD rear strut brace off and gathering dust at the moment I could sell. Unless I refab the pipework the intercooler it ain't going back on...
[size=92]Martin[/size][size=75]
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S
'01 Black MR2 Roadster SMT turbo[/size]

Anonymous

I took the rear brace of my Sportivo on my first car and replaced it with stock and got nothing.

I left it off in the end, it was probably just adding extra weight.

markiii

sportivo doesn't have any braces ?
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Tem

Quote from: "markiii"sportivo doesn't have any braces ?

Officially no, but many consider the bars&braces a part of the kit...
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

Yeah sorry, I bought the bars when I got the kit.

Anonymous

Perry

How about a new lick of paint and stencil a logo on the stock brace if you want to dress it up and there is no performance benefit from an aftermarket brace.

Anonymous

could be an idea, paint and vinyl graphics

I assume the strut brace is steel? so could be chrome plated?

markiii

don't see why not.

Tags: