Replacement Hood Advice

Started by swyper, May 4, 2010, 12:27

swyper

Hi All,

At the weekend someone decided to slash my girlfriend's MR2 hood.

I'm looking for some advice about what to do next.

1)  Insurance - it is convered, but with a £500 excess and loss of ncb, I'd prefer not to go down this route;

2) Breaker - been offered a hood for £475.  Seems ok, but are they easy to fit?  I saw the guide on here and it looks like a tricky but do-able job;

3) Any other suggestions??

JudoKilli

uktotty

You can get them for less, its NOT an easy fix but cheaper than the £900 for a Robbins top

swyper

After looking over the tutorial again, it doesn't look very easy at all.

Does anyone have any recommendastions for anyone in Glasgow / central belt that could supply and fit a hood?  Trimeline are quoting £1100,

uktotty

Contact these guys and ask them
 m http://www.robbinsautotopco.com/contact.php m

Mike68

If you go down the breaker route then avoid dewsbury auto salvage, very poor customer service, they supplied me with a MX5 roof for my MR2   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  and took weeks to get a refund
Ex Silver MR-S

Now - Mica Red bug eye Scooby with blobeye front end conversion, Ninja 2 turbo back exhaust, HKS dump valve, prodrive fuel pump, prodrive 3 port turbo solenoid, BC Racing coilovers, K Sport 8 pot front brakes, VF35 turbo, 550 injectors, japspeed front mount intercooloer, 18" Kei RSS alloys, blobeye rear lights, tumble valve delete using JDM inlet manifold. Map completed by Race Dynamix 346 bhp, 340 lb torque

swyper

Funnily enough, drewsbury came back with a price of £400 from one of those breaker sites.  Advice taken though, cheers!

Dyn-Evo

Get a hardtop...?   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Seriously, though, I have often wondered how feasible it would be to get hold of some vinyl material (something VERY similar to the OEM stuff), and simply glue it over the roof, covering the section...?

If you used Evostick Impact adhesive, or similar, it would certainly effect a decent , waterproof repair......

OK.....it wouldn't look OEM / 100%....

...but its certainly cheaper / easier than a full replacement, short-term..?   s:? :? s:?
Current: 2006 Toyota Corolla T-Sport COMPRESSOR 215hp, Silver, totally stock!
EX]V6[/color]  \":-)\"   )
Black Leather interior, "micro-lip" rear spoiler, Refurbed OEM 15" Pewter Metallics, Cobra Quad-Exit, HEL SS braided hoses, EBC pads, AEM DryFlow CAI.
Ex: "NightHawk" MR2 Mk1 4AG-ZE AE101 S/C conversion (170hp), water injection
Ex: MR2 Mk1b stock 4AGE

JudoKilli

Quote from: "Dyn-Evo"If you used Evostick Impact adhesive, or similar, it would certainly effect a decent , waterproof repair......

OK.....it wouldn't look OEM / 100%....

It would also look tacky, cheap and crap!

Dyn-Evo

No, it wouldn't if it was done right.......  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

I mean doing a section across the whole width of the roof, between the frame........

...not just sticking a square patch on......!!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

if you had the right material, I doubt you'd notice from any more than 10 feet away, either......?
Black Leather interior, "micro-lip" rear spoiler, Refurbed OEM 15" Pewter Metallics, Cobra Quad-Exit, HEL SS braided hoses, EBC pads, AEM DryFlow CAI.

swyper

Luckily we have a hardtop, so its on just now but it defeats the purpose of having this car!

Not keen on the Blue Peter approach.  I can see your thinking but 2 panels have been cut so it would look a bit like a homemade effort I think.

Does anyone know of a guide to fitting a hood?  Got one on here for the removal but would like to see a fitting one (and yes, I know it would be the same in reverse).

Dyn-Evo

s:D :D s:D  

yeh...but be honest:   how many days during the year will you actually have the soft-top down?

...and when you do, its DOWN, folded away...?!

So, its basically a question of how often you actually NEED the soft-top UP, is it not?

Its only then gonna look shite when its parked up and you're not actually in the car....?

...besides, the MK3 looks far better with the hardtop fitted...!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

I get your point about the "blue peter" approach........but that depends on how much a new roof means to you, considering its been slashed: imagine if the same toerags see the new roof and slash it again...?

These roofs are mighty pricey, plus the cost / grief of fitting, etc......

If mine gets slashed, I'll defo be doing the Blue Peter: some have stated its gonna look rubbish...if thats not a gauntlet thrown down, then what is!?   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:  

My creative skills are often underestimated......  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Hopefully, I wont need to ever do it, but I'm 100% sure I could do a half-decent job if the need arose...!

Dyn-Evo

Hey..had an idea:   s:idea: :idea: s:idea:  

Let me have your slashed roof, and I can "have a play"....?

I've been looking at Kevlar materials: there are some that are basically impossible to slash with a knife......  s8) 8) s8)  

perhaps a roof covered in something along these lines would both look cool and serve a purpose....?

swyper

The problem is, we live in a flat so have to store the hardtop elsewhere, so the car usually has the hardtop off for the duration of the summer.  Its not like we can put it on/off as we see fit.

Dyn-Evo

I know what you're saying: I don't have a garage, either...!

...and the missus just HATES having it leaning up against the fireplace in the lounge..!!  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:     s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

swyper

its my missus' car, so she doesn't complain!!

Dyn-Evo

s:D :D s:D   Nice one!

swyper

Ok, so I got this sorted today.

Managed to get a new roof from a breaker - £150+ vat + delivery - steal if you ask me!!

Manged to fit it today - not so much a hard job, just time consuming and tricky!

Initially the hood had 'ears' but soon sorted that.  One remaining issue tho, is that on one side the roof material doesn't go as far into the rubber seal as it does on the other side.  It rests against it and is weather (and power hose) proof, but I would prefer it to sit as far into the seal as the other side.

Any ideas?

swyper

anyone....

normanh

To be honest you did a good job to get this far, its not a job I would even think of attempting and that applies to a good many Mr T's as usually its a bit of a f*** up. Regarding the ears, did you fit the strap correctly which runs from side to side? There is a instructional thread on how to cure ears on the forum if you search. I discovered after chatting with a few on the Southern Softee run its likely that there is a pre and post facelift roof now I suspect the roof frames are identical but my roof appears to be a post one and I get ears , the likely cause is that the strap lengths between the two are different and I have the wrong one fitted. I gave the other to a guy in Darlington years back after finding it in the car.

norman

swyper

Hi Norman.

The hood I fitted came with the frame (and was a pre facelift like my girlfriends car) so that made it a bit easier to fit.  It isn't actually that hard a job to do, just a bit tricky.  

When I first got the hood on the ears were really obvious but I adjusted the strap correctly through the frame and that all but cured them.

My issue now is the fabric of the hood at one side just doesn't quite fit into the rubber seal as well as it probably should.  it doesn't leak but I would like to sort it out - just a bit puzzled as to how to go about it....

normanh

When I put my roof up sometimes i have noticed that the cover doesnt always sit perfectly into the plastic trim around the windows, we usually just push the cover up over the trim and in firmly pops in . I get a feel for when this happens from doing up the catches inside the care and then I check the cover, could it be this your finding? Other than that I am in the dark sorry.

norman

Anonymous

Hi,

Brand new to this site, i see this is an old thread - but last weekend i replaced my roof (with a salvaged in one £115, result!), any way it took me 5 hours and i have photo'd most of the steps.  So if anyone is after some help,  i can pretty much give step by step instructions.

Cheers,
S.

Mark A

Off a yellow Mr2 Bury St Edmunds way?

kentsmudger

Stevesstuck - Definitely be nice to have a 'how-to' for replacement - It is a question that comes up from time to time on here - Welcome to the club too!
[size=85] Unichip, full Hayward & Scott exhaust, race cat and manifold - markiii pipe, K & N panel, EBC Ultimax Slotted Discs, EBC pads, TTE springs, Corky\'s Breastplate, front & rear strut braces, brass shift bushes, Hankook Ventus V12 Evos, CG-Lock. Bama deflector, Mongos, Devs key cover, TTE gear-knob. My car and my pics of other cars.

[centre] 'I am, and ever will be a white socks, pocket protector, nerdy engineer' - Neil Armstrong (1930 – 2012) [/size][/centre]

Tags: