K&N 57i Gen2 for Roadster

Started by Acehole, May 7, 2010, 07:40

Acehole

Is this the best for the roadster? or is there better?.
Ex Owner of a ...2000 X Silver (1DO) Air con with Red leather and Hardtop, JDL spoiler, 17" Momo Corse wheels, Custom exhaust system by Pipecraft, K&N 57i Gen2 Cold Air Induction Kit Facelift Indies. Full main dealer history

nathanMR2

I have the PPE Cold Air Induction which im told is better. My dyno results suggest it anyway
MR2 Roadster TTE Turbo - now sold and 2less but forever an enthusiast

JiMR2

Can both the K&N and the PPE be run in '2s with AC???
AKA Cinnamon Jim

uktotty

AEM is also good !

nathanMR2

Im sure AC doesnt make any difference at all. Mines on and i have AC.

AEM are good also but you have to remove the rear bumper to get to it for fitting, removel and cleaning

Mad Matt

One of the guys on here told me the K&N still pulls in hotter air than it would with the standard intake. I think the ones which position behind the battery are good.

brad82

I have an apexi power intake, it doesn't seem to give any gains (not had it on dyno) because it pulls in hot air but it does sound awesome, I would asume the K&N would be simular, but depends on what your after sound or a little more power. For power seem like markiii pipe and new panel filter is the way to go.
EX SP240 gone, BMW Z4M gone, Audi s3 + something else arriving soon

ChrisHumes

brad - not sure if it made much difference, but with the apexi I cut the plastic intake pipe in half so that it went right up to the apexi intake thus giving it some of the cold air from the side vent.

philster_d

Quote from: "brad82"I have an apexi power intake, it doesn't seem to give any gains (not had it on dyno) because it pulls in hot air but it does sound awesome, I would asume the K&N would be simular, but depends on what your after sound or a little more power. For power seem like markiii pipe and new panel filter is the way to go.

the possibilities are endless. How much effort do you want to put in? my intake was behind the rear right wheel. But even then you could add some heat shields and maybe some ducting if you wanted to go to the max.

nathanMR2

Quote from: "brad82"I have an apexi power intake, it doesn't seem to give any gains (not had it on dyno) because it pulls in hot air but it does sound awesome, I would asume the K&N would be simular, but depends on what your after sound or a little more power. For power seem like markiii pipe and new panel filter is the way to go.

Do you have the Apexi with the PPE as i def found gains when replacing my Markiii pipe and K&N panel filter?

brad82

Quote from: "nathanMR2"Do you have the Apexi with the PPE as i def found gains when replacing my Markiii pipe and K&N panel filter?

na just the standard kit that takes it just behind the rear light. goin to look at moving it to behind the battery toward the side vent in the morning. I dont really fancy cutting the intake pipe at the mo so will try and get some hose and give it a try   s:D :D s:D

nathanMR2

The PPE sits behind the battery and blocks off most of the heat

Acehole

Well there is alot of mixed reviews here lol. To be honest i was thinking of spending up to £300 tops of the kit then another bit on getting it fitted, if i get someone i know to fit they wont be taking the bumper off put it that way. But if any1 on here with experience on getting best results who would be willing to do that for the money and make it better for us that would be awesome. I could drive over to you on a weekend or something. Im based in essex and dont mind travling up to 60miles. Pm me if any1 wants the work, how much, and what intake i should get. I know its my own decision but i know you guys know alot more about this kinda stuff than me, so would just be buying on advice.
Ex Owner of a ...2000 X Silver (1DO) Air con with Red leather and Hardtop, JDL spoiler, 17" Momo Corse wheels, Custom exhaust system by Pipecraft, K&N 57i Gen2 Cold Air Induction Kit Facelift Indies. Full main dealer history

Anonymous

If you want my advice, don't spend £300 on an intake that is just going to make your car sound better. For just the noise the A'Pexi is very hard to beat and is a quality piece of kit, or for power (and staying with open filters) you need the PPE. Anything else really isn't worth considering unless you're going for looks IMVHO. Did you want power or noise?

Acehole

was looking for gain really i know im only gonna get like 5bhp or something, but i got the noise from exhaust already.

Anonymous

Have you discounted the markiii pipe and K&N filter as I believe there is gains from this?

nathanMR2

If you get hold of a PPE or anything else you decide to use and you fancy a drive. Ill help you fit it for free

Anonymous

Quote from: "Acehole"was looking for gain really i know Im only gonna get like 5bhp or something, but i got the noise from exhaust already.
In that case either go PPE or Markiii pipe + TRD filter. Either way you'll be incredibly lucky to get 5bhp, I would reckon about 2-3bhp max.

Acehole

Yeah i know dan. i meant to say 5bhp tops. On k&n offical it states that u should get 4bhp more. Thanks nathan  s:) :) s:) . So im ordering this stuff monday... what should i order for best results? like i said im not mechanically minded at all so what is PPE? i know the markiii pipe as ive seen many up for sale on here.

nathanMR2

Take a look here at the PPE

m http://www.ppeengineering-onlinestore.c ... tegoryId=4 m

They come up 2nd hand once in a blue moon but i def noticed the difference when i went from the Markiii to this. It wasnt a massive break neck difference but i was pleased with the result.

mattbrown82

Have you considered and ECU upgrade? If you were to go for the Markiii pipe and K&N panel filter, you would have a decent amount of cash left over to put towards a E-Manage/Unichip piggyback ecu.

This would allow you to get the most from your Intake/Exhaust setup.
[size=85]00 silver
01 Blue 2zz - sold
03 Sable - sold[/size]

nathanMR2

A new ECU will help but ul have to factor in the mapping cost on top of that.

If you want to see a power increase (without a turbo) you need to consider-

Exhaust (with or without a cat/sports cat)
Manifold
Air Intake
Cams

To begin with. Once your happy with what you have done and you still want more it would be time to get an ECU replacement and the mapping done. Remember each time you change something you will need to have the ECU remapped and at £250-£400 each time it can be an expensive business!!

Acehole

ok ive just sorted finances out and i now have £700 to spend. Whats best route? getting the cams changed really worth it?

brad82

the best mod i have done was the flywheel its gains no power but delivery is much better its great big   s:D :D s:D  factor.

mattbrown82

Have a look at the gains people have made in the "Engine modifications and performance gains for N/A 1ZZ" sticky thread in the performance forum. Lots of good info in there.

You may want to consider some additional bracing as well.
[size=85]00 silver
01 Blue 2zz - sold
03 Sable - sold[/size]

Tags: