Air intake options vs TRD inlet approach??

Started by andywood, May 9, 2010, 20:38

andywood

Hi

Most people seem to have gone for one of the following intake mod options:
1. Standard airbox with performance filter (TRD, K+N etc...)
2. Performance air intake that does away with stock box and picks up air behind battery where standard intake system through wing does (Apexi, MWR, K+N etc....)
3. Markiii pipe used in conjunction with standard airbox and inlet ducting through rear wing

Has anyone actually gone for the TRD inlet elbow type set-up?
So this is the TRD pipe (like the markiii pipe but Ali) and this does not utilise the inlet piping in the wing but picks the intake air up from behind the nearside rear light. I am guessing that this assumes the ducting down the wing has been removed to allow improved cold air supply to this region. TRD claim some impressive numbers with this set-up in conjunction with their header and performance filter.
I am guessing that a markiii pipe could be adapted to do the same thing, but i am not sure how easy it is to remove the inlet ducting from the rear wing?
As long as the air picked up is of comparable temp to that in the stock pick-up position then this must offer a vast improvement and less restrictions to the inlet system.

Andy.
2003 Silver + Stuff = [strike]235bhp/225lbft[/strike],  + rethink = 195bhp

Anonymous

TRD pipe and Markiii pipe are identical.

andywood

Yeah, i understand that, but the TRD one is designed to exit in the wing behind the rear light and not use the ducting in the wing...........

Andy

Anonymous

Not sure I understand you? Both pipes go from the ducting that takes air from behind the battery and connect to the airbox, replacing the restrictive stock plastic bend. The only difference is that one costs 3x as much as the other  s;) ;) s;)

andywood

So, identical in general appearance, but not identical in detailed design, material or concept of use in my understanding

Andy.

andywood

Think you need to re-read my (possibly poorly written) first post.
TRD one is not designed to use the ducting in the wing.

I was trying to find out if anyone is running an intake in this way with a TRD or similar pipe.

Andy.

Anonymous

Got any pics of this magical TRD inlet that takes air from somewhere else? To the best of my knowledge, there is only one kind of TRD inlet elbow and I can assure you it is identical in use to the Markiii pipe.

DannyN

and if you find Tems post they both take air from the engine bay (remember the 'fingers' Dan ??)
Quote from: \"DannyN\"There are 10 types of people in the world,
Those who understand Binary and those that don\'t...

[size=75]Black 51 165 BHP - Hardtop ON - Teins - Apexi Power FC - AEM Induction (Cleaned) - Crower Cams - Forged Pistons - Iridium Plugs - Zero Manifold - SP Downpipe - H&S - TRD SS - Corkys MSMB - Goodridge - \'03 Vents - Devs - Bamas - Crystal Indies - Mongos.
[/size]

Anonymous

Exactly. I'm not going mad here, am I?!

andywood

OK, ok, everyone seems to be missing my point and question here,...

The TRD one is very very similar to the markiii:

All i am saying is that this does not use the inlet ducting in the wing, it has a slightly trumpeted end that takes in air from behind the rear light.

Andy.

Anonymous

Nope, that end goes into the stock black ducting that the plastic one and the Markiii pipe go into. Absolutely identical, promise.

*edit* That said, I've never seen one in person as you'd be crazy to pay that for one. Maybe I've been wrong all this time?

andywood

This is one of the comments on spyderchat that got me thinking into this:

You should keep in mind that the TRD Inlet piece is designed to exit just beside the left rear taillight. But the the Inlet directions have you remove the insulated tube in the fender so that the air flow is opened up to where the inlet exits. In short, the whole idea is to open up the air flow in from the side vent to where the inlet exits. The inlet is no longer connected to anything. I actually have this piece, as it was basically a throw in from some other TRD parts I bought. I called TRD to verify this and printed the instructions (they are in Japanese but a friend of mine is fluent).

MR 2ster

Hmmmm interesting if it is true! I can see the logic in opening up the air flow but removing the ducting and just having the TRD pipe point into the air flow from the side vent!! BUT....surely that will also increase the chance for hot air to get into airflow? I'm using the Markiii pipe with TRD filter and stock ducting and I think it gives a very direct cold air flow!! Maybe by increasing the diameter of the ducting will help increase air flow?

Unless the weight loss gains outweight the performance gains I can't see that the acclaimed TRD setup is any better than the Markiii setup!!!

mrzwei

Back in May 2006 the TRD inlet cost £272.82. It was made of alluminium which I agree was lighter than the second hand Markiii I picked up for 25 quid. You could do what you are suggesting with the Markiii pipe ie don't fix it to the stuff in the wing.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

Tags: