1 rear tyre worn outside edge

Started by Anonymous, May 11, 2010, 10:21

Anonymous

I put new rear tyres on about 7/8 months ago and since then it has MOT and service and flown through, however I have just noticed that the passenger side rear tyre is very worn on the outside edge.  

The drivers side rear is absoloutely fine and evenly worn.

Do I need to change both rear tyres or can I just change the passenger side (unevenly worn one) to the same make/model?

I will be getting full wheel alignment done next weekend so that should resolve the problem that has caused the uneven tyre wear unless there is something that is common that I have overlooked?

Thanks

Anonymous

How many miles have you done on the other tyre? Or how much tread have you gone through? If it's not very much then you'll be fine just swapping the one tyre, however if it's half way through then I'd be changing both.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Dan M"How many miles have you done on the other tyre? Or how much tread have you gone through? If it's not very much then you'll be fine just swapping the one tyre, however if it's half way through then I'd be changing both.

Thanks for your response.  The other tyre isn't overly worn and has probably done about 6/7k miles.  Its a Bridgestone Potenza.  I would expect near enough 15/20k out of these miles, seeing as I very rarely drive in anger and mostly the car is used for commuting and motorway mileage.

I'll get the worn one done and see how I go.

Wabbitkilla

Potenzas are pretty hardy tyres, so you're probably ok just swapping the one ... just go easy till it's scrubbed in.
There's obviously and ilignment problem there which you're dealing with ... or you've just been going wild on a round-a-bout   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

Anonymous

Sounds quite positive then, hopefully I can get away with just changing the one for now!

Thanks for your responses guys   s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

New tyre fitted so it's legal again now.

The guy got the laser tracking tool thing out and did it on the car and said it was tracking perfectly.  I asked what it could have been causing it to wear like that and he suggested it could be a bush.

Guess I'll check the bushes at the weekend as the camber is not adjustable on these and the tyre pressures are checked regularly.  Anything I could be overlooking here?

mrzwei

Use a breaker bar around the joints with bushes, check the ride height, shocks and springs and maybe for any play in the wheel bearing.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

Thudd

Do you turn right a lot?   s:D :D s:D

WillsSayers

Yes, perhaps his job is a Nascar driver......?  s;) ;) s;)

]Appearance:[/b] :: Pre-facelift Toyota Bodykit :: Ducktail Spoiler :: TTE Style Bar :: Custard Gas Struts ::
Chassis: :: Front and Rear Strut Brace :: C-One Front and Rear Anti-roll Bar ::

Anonymous

Quote from: "mrzwei"Use a breaker bar around the joints with bushes, check the ride height, shocks and springs and maybe for any play in the wheel bearing.

Cheers, I will do.  I have sourced a mechanically minded friend to assist with this as I am useless!

Quote from: "Thudd"Do you turn right a lot?   s:D :D s:D
Quote from: "WillsSayers"Yes, perhaps his job is a Nascar driver......?  s;) ;) s;)

You've got it guys, midweek I fix computers for a laugh but my serious job is Nascar driver utilising the MR2!  I normally lose which isn't great...but a jobs a job!

Wabbitkilla

You say he got the laser alignment kit out, but was it 4-wheel alignment setup.
You're not going to have an accurate setup without doing a full 4 wheel alignment check.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from

Anonymous

Quote from: "Wabbitkilla"You say he got the laser alignment kit out, but was it 4-wheel alignment setup.
You're not going to have an accurate setup without doing a full 4 wheel alignment check.

He put a laser tool on each wheel, set the steering wheel perfectly straight with a different tool, front wheels on metal disks and did his thing and said the tracking was spot on.

I asked for 4 wheel laser alignment and assume this is what I got...you know what they say about assumption though!

Wabbitkilla

Sounds like all he's done is check the alignment of the front wheels against the rears, not the actual alignment of the rear wheels themselves.
It's a bit more complex than what the average garage does.

mattbrown82

You could try looking at:

m http://www.alignmycar.co.uk/ m

This will tell you where the nearest garage is with a Hunter Alignment system. This is the same hardware as used by Wheels In Motion and Demon Tweeks.

You may want to google the garage for any feedback on other car forums as well.

Price can vary dependant on how many adjustments are required, but expect to pay around £60.

Matt
[size=85]00 silver
01 Blue 2zz - sold
03 Sable - sold[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "mattbrown82"You could try looking at:

m http://www.alignmycar.co.uk/ m

This will tell you where the nearest garage is with a Hunter Alignment system. This is the same hardware as used by Wheels In Motion and Demon Tweeks.

You may want to google the garage for any feedback on other car forums as well.

Price can vary dependant on how many adjustments are required, but expect to pay around £60.

Matt

Cheers for that info, there is one just around the corner from work so it's booked in for 2pm today!

Anonymous

Well, got a proper alignment check done and the toe on both rear wheels was out (the one that had worn unevenly was significantly out)

A full alignment was carried out for £58 so now all should be well.

Thanks for all  your advice guys, it has been most helpful!  s:) :) s:)

mattbrown82

Good result there! Hopefully your car will handle a bit better now as well   s:D :D s:D  

Might be worth leaving some buyer/seller feedback for the garage you used in case anyone else nearby needs it doing in the future.

Matt
[size=85]00 silver
01 Blue 2zz - sold
03 Sable - sold[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "mattbrown82"Good result there! Hopefully your car will handle a bit better now as well   s:D :D s:D  

Might be worth leaving some buyer/seller feedback for the garage you used in case anyone else nearby needs it doing in the future.

Matt

The car does feel a lot more planted on the road and the drive to and from work over the last 2 days has been very fun, however, the steering wheel was not straight when the front wheels were.

I called the garage back and said about this, they said to come down and the same guy who did it last time did another full alignment check and it was out again (steer and toe on the front wheels this time) so he has re-aligned it all free of charge and said to let them know if there are any further issues.

If anyone is interested the garage is Guildford Tyre company  m http://www.guildfordtyre.co.uk/ m  and the customer service there is very good

Tags: