Active Subs

Started by skinz, May 12, 2010, 20:40

skinz

Hi guys, been looking accross the forum and seen many different installs. I'm a total bass junkie :p so looking to get something pretty powerfull - however this is obviously limited by the space in the car. So looking at active subs, Ive got a new head unit in post so looking to spend around £100-£150 on sub, I like the blapunkt 200a but not to fussed if it goes in the bins or under the seats (if underseats, could I allow for slightly bigger unit?)

my cars currently getting scratches and scuffs machined out - so cant measure spaces atm, so any advice is greatly appreciated, as I am looking to order one this week.

Cheers

JiMR2

Hiya mate,

Recently ditted the Blaupunkt 200a into my car and I'm chuffed to pieces with it... However...

Quote from: "skinz"I'm a total bass junkie

Therefore I'd avoid any active sub and go for 2 x 10" subs in custom made enclosures to fit into the bins behind the seats and fix an amp in between the 2... grab yourself some mdf and a tape measure and you'll be ok... not sure about properties on how much space each box should have ideally to get the sound reverberation at its best etc so may be worth looking up... Or maybe a real nice 10" sub for one bin and a bridged amp for the other bin...

you wont get any thing under the seats...

Or another idea, in the for sale section someones selling a board that covers the rear bins thats got a couple of subs and some speakers on it... might be worth a look...

That should keep you busy  s;) ;) s;)
AKA Cinnamon Jim

skinz

Hi, thanks for the reply, shame bout not being able to fit anything under seats. I was considering filling the back, but decided I need some space :p - so active will have to be solution.

Is the blaupunkt realitively punchy or is it more rumbley? - mite just go for one anyways - seems to be a common solution.

Last time I had subs was my first car - so think i may be being too pickey with the MR-S :p

Was my pride any joy....(but for some reason got a C2 GT, and kept it standard afterwards)

stargazer30

I'm selling a blaupunkt 200a, it does punch but you have to bear in mind its a flat driver to save on space so its no where near as punchy as a sealed 10" or 12" traditional Sub.  If you want powerful bass you're going to need a amp in the rear passenger bin, or under it feeding a 10" sub in a custom sealed box or perhaps two of them.
2003 Silver MR2 - Very Very Standard + Leccy Renault Zoe aka the battery mobile.
Ex Blue 04 MR2 - TTE Turbo\'d ~185bhp/200lbs/ft, Sports Clutch, Breast Plate, Lowered & half decent audio
Ex Silver 05 MR2 -  SP turbo conversion 227bhp, 205lbs/ft, with  cobra dual exit exhaust.

uktotty

I have a spare Basslink II

Loads of power and fits in the rear bins

JiMR2

Quote from: "skinz"got a C2 GT, and kept it standard afterwards

Weird thats exactly what i did! Had a red GT... had a nova prior to that with big bass etc etc...

Never seen or herad of those before Ukt! They look awesome!
AKA Cinnamon Jim

skinz

Quote from: "uktotty"I have a spare Basslink II

Uktotty - I presume these sit upright in the bin, but do u use the feet to stablise the sub or is there a better way of fixing it in? - also am I correct in saying that this will only fit in the passenger side bin?

I got this wiring kit free with order, but not convinced about battery cable and fuse (dont look beefy enough) - would it be worth while just getting a new fuse and battery cable from halfords?
this is the one i got free :http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product/products_id/1007.html

Cheers (hopefully be fitting this 2mrw :p)

uktotty

To get mine in I removed the feet and extended the luggage straps in the bins.
Mine was in the passenget side but I assume it will fit both.
Cross the staraps over and use a bit of foam or similar for peace of mind.

Wiring kit looks plenty to me

uktotty

Like this!

skinz

wow that was one quick reply - thanks a lot.

unfortunately the straps in my passengerside have gone missing, so will have to see if i can move the ones from drivers side over

skinz

UKTotty, do you find that the sub moves about with just the straps holding it in? - I'm going to fit one of these tonight, and ideally (if possible) modify the feet that come with the sub to give it a more secure fixing, also would you consider these cables to be sufficient?   m http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/produc ... /1007.html m  - can't wait to test this baby out :p

uktotty

It moves a bit but if you cross the straps over and use a bit of foam its much firmer.
As I said earlier, the wiring kit looks fine, I am pretty sure its the one I used.
Pass it through the rubber grommet in the firewall with a screwdriver.
So you dont need my basslink then??

skinz

Quote from: "uktotty"It moves a bit but if you cross the straps over and use a bit of foam its much firmer.
As I said earlier, the wiring kit looks fine, I am pretty sure its the one I used.
Pass it through the rubber grommet in the firewall with a screwdriver.
So you dont need my basslink then??

Cheers nice one - think im just goin to get it in tonight, then will make custom brackets to hold it in at a later date.
My mate had already picked one up so just goin to fire that in, why you selling it?

uktotty

Got a fitted one in a custom box  s:) :) s:)

Tags: