Which Callipers? rear ones seized ;o(

Started by Anonymous, May 20, 2010, 14:27

Anonymous

s:( :( s:(  

Hi, the rear callipers are not working on my car....well the braking is but hanbrake is not si i presume they are seized, i have tried tightening etc

is there a guide to freeing them up or un-seizing them?

had a look online and cant find any cheap callipers, will ones off another toyota fit?

thanks guys

also looking for a cheap gearbox if poss?

custardavenger

Have you jacked the wheel of the ground and checked it? The Handbrake activated the normal brakes so if the calliper is seized then the caliper won't work full stop.
[size=150]Custard\'s Bonnet/Engine Cover Struts[/size] Clicky Round 2
Custard\'s Bracing Clicky Coming soon
Project Custard Clicky

nathanMR2

I had this problem. Unseized it 4 or 5 times and had enough of it so ended up getting a referbed unit in the end. Touch wood its been fine since.

At a guess your experiencing problems with the rear offside wheel?
MR2 Roadster TTE Turbo - now sold and 2less but forever an enthusiast

frogger

Have you by any chance recently replaced the rear brake pads?

I have all the info you need on MR2 rear caliper rebuilding if thats actually required, done it too many times now.
But its worth checking a few things first...

Have you replaced the rear brake pads recently is my first Q...

If Yes - then chances are the piston was wound all the way in and then NOT adjusted back out 180 degrees. Try installing pads as per this guide...  m http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6372 m

If No - take the caliper off and test the movement of the sliders AND the movement of the piston when you try to screw the piston in and out.
The caliper should slide easily off the carrier, and you should be able to wind the piston in and out with an appropriate tool, or pair of long nose pliers.
If you can't wind the piston in or out, either get onto brakes international for a replacement caliper - less than 25% of the price of Mr T's. OR - Get a rebuild kit (also from brakes international) and get cracking rebuilding the caliper.

If the pads are installed correctly, AND the caliper sliders and piston are moving freely, then double check the handbrake cable adjustment (search this forum).

Anonymous

Hi guys,

i've not changed the pads recently, but upon inspection they seem like there's loads of life in them.

i jacked up the car and properly adjusted them according to the guides, but when the handbrake is pulled on fully (even very very hard)
i was still able to easily push the wheel around with my hands?  i tried loosoil etc on the lever that puts handbrake on, all to no avail though.

now the car has started making a loud clunk when started, happens sometimes when driving, and always happens when going from reverse to first, or vice -versa.

any ideas? if its the mounts- how can i check them?
gearbox possibly?

thanks

Anonymous

oh and yes its the o/s/r thats the worst

thanks

Anonymous

Ilogik

It could be related to the  seats. Try actually sending them to the buyer, all that extra junk is weighing the car down.
Current: Genuine GT300 Monocraft running a 2ZZ-GE
Ex: Trial kitted Cam\'d Power fc
Ex: TRD stage 1 TTE Turbo

Anonymous

Oooh online now,I'm guessing you have read this?   l viewtopic.php?f=41&t=29744 l  If this is true are you going to do the honourable thing or will this be the last we see of you whilst you try to dodge this?

Anonymous

muhahahaha u guys dont even know the story so fuck off with the comments

Anonymous

We will fuck off once you refund, or give a better a better account of the transaction that at the moment is not putting you in a good light.

Anonymous

Quote from: "kingalzer"muhahahaha u guys dont even know the story so f**k off with the comments

Did you take the money?
Did you send the seats?

Two simple questions, answers please.

swoopingmonkey

Yes he took the money
No, he did not send the seats

normanh

MODs shouldnt you closing this thread?

I firmly believe this guy has forfited all rights in this site now, he has refused to answer the points made little alone make a refund to a fellow member after a period of time. I can see this thread becoming a right slanging match. The points made are very simple and not resolved end of story.

I am sure some would say bans his a***.

normanh

spit

[Mod]You're right Norman. The likelihood of any answer to the OP's caliper question being forthcoming is slim until/unless a resolution of this other issue can be reached.

As the current posting pattern has nothing to do with seized calipers, thread locked.
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Tags: