Jumpy CD Player

Started by Anonymous, March 10, 2004, 19:36

Anonymous

I have a 2000 mr2with the original CD player in. It regularly jumps and has scratched some of my CD's in the past. I have since cleaned the lens but it still jumps every now and again.
Is this a common problem?
Can anyone give me any advice to stop this without changing the head unit or costing me alot of money.  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

Anonymous

mine is the Toyota's own h/u out of an 03 model it alway scratches hell out of the disks so i now only use copied Cd's so i can replace them

p.s. i hope the police aren't reading this

Anonymous

Quote from: "adz648"p.s. i hope the police aren't reading this

It might be legal to do this... not sure, grey area... one they're unlikely to take you to court over... besides as I understand it it's a civil, not criminal matter, so the police won't really be interested, but the RIAA's lawyers may be.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Alsquiz"I have a 2000 mr2with the original CD player in. It regularly jumps and has scratched some of my CD's in the past. I have since cleaned the lens but it still jumps every now and again.
Is this a common problem?

Mine only does this on cold winter mornings when there's condensation on the CD/player lens... I just pop the CD in front of one of the vents to warm up for a few seconds and then it's fine.

If yours is year round, I don't know of a solution I'm afraid... hopefully someone else will have an idea.

Anonymous

Alsquiz

I complained to my local dealer about this in my April 2000 car. They replaced it at the time under warranty, saying that a few have had to be changed. Not had a problem since. As your car is out of warranty (unless it had the MrT extended one) have a word with your dealer to see if they have any suggestions for an economic repair.

s:D :D s:D

Peter Laborne

Quote from: "adz648"i now only use copied Cd's so i can replace them

p.s. i hope the police aren't reading this

This is perfectly ok. You can copy CD's so long as you are the only one who listens to them and you still have the original (ie you have effectivley made a "back-up"). It comes in the same boat as copying from CD to your own mp3 player.

Troubles occur if you sell, loan, play in public, give away, put on the web etc etc etc either the original or the back-up.

HTH

As for your player skipping. You can get it replaced under warranty (if you still have it)

Anonymous

ive had this problem too! i thought it was just me
it tends to only jump when im playin copy cd's
take it its worth pointin out to my toyota dealer ive still two years left on my warranty

Anonymous

Quote from: "aarongr"take it its worth pointin out to my toyota dealer ive still two years left on my warranty

I'd point out everything that you're unhappy with.  There are lots of small warranty issues that they'll sort, from skipping CD players, bubbling alloys through to known rattles and engine noises.  Point them out and if you've got a helpful dealer, you'll get them sorted.

Anonymous

im actually takin my car in next week to get the alloys changed as there bubbling! so i'll ask them to check the cd player my garage is really good
ive never had any probs wi them
what prices do toyota charge for alloy upgrades? i fancy 17'' wheels
any pix??

Anonymous

Quote from: "aarongr"ive never had any probs wi them
what prices do toyota charge for alloy upgrades? i fancy 17'' wheels
any pix??

<Mod Hat On>
Can we stick to Skipping CD player issues here.  Feel free to post a query about other people's bigger alloys in another thread, probably in the Appearance forum.  Ta.
</Mod Hat Off>

Anonymous

I still have the original Fischer Price unit in my 2 - it's always skipped and has recently started rejecting CDs (original and "back-ups"  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  ). It's on my list of things for Mr T to sort - they're ordering me a new one, no quibbles.

filcee

I had the Sony unit in my '01 replaced as the volume control developed a mind of it's own.  One thing to be aware of (with the Sony units) was that Mr T replaced the unit with a recon. not a new one.  The replacement unit I received had very clearly had orange juice or something similar spilled over it, so most of the buttons didn't work properly (but the volume control was fine).  I went back and complained, and got another recon unit (very dusty, but otherwise fine).  

I don't know if Mr T use recons for the Fisher-Price replacement scheme or not.  If they do, it might be worth testing the unit thoroughly before leaving Mr T.  At the least this will save a trip back later if your (new/recon?) replacement proves to have a different fault than the one taken out.
Phil
2003 6-sp SMT in Sable
x-2001 5-sp SMT in Lagoon Blue

aaronjb

Quote from: "filcee"I had the Sony unit in my '01 replaced as the volume control developed a mind of it's own.

Funnily enough, mine does that too.. My money is on it needing the front popping off, and a bit of compressed air in there to blow the dust out of the sensor wheel behind the volume control (they usually work the same way your mouse does - a slotted wheel with light sensors). I could be wrong of course..  s:) :) s:)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Anonymous

Can I join the 'jumpy stereo' bandwagon as well please?   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:D :D s:D  

Mine seems to skip a lot when I've had the heater on high for a while: I could turn it down, but I'm not gonna freeze for no-one!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

I really can't be arsed to get it changed under warranty, so I'm just gonna nick the cheapo JVC stereo I put in my g/f's Corsa a few months back.   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

Peter Laborne

Quote from: "aaronjb"
Quote from: "filcee"I had the Sony unit in my '01 replaced as the volume control developed a mind of it's own.

Funnily enough, mine does that too

Are you sure it's not supposed to do that. I ask as my g/f's Fiesta slightly increases in volume automaticaly as you past through 30, 40, 50 and 60mph, and then decreases as your speed drops. Nine times out of ten you never notice, but when you do it can be very frustrating, especially when you are stuck in a rolling traffic jam and your speed increases and decreases just enough to keep the volume constantly changing.

markiii

haven't you got teh same stereo Peter?
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Peter Laborne

Quote from: "markiii"haven't you got the same stereo Peter?

D'oh   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  I posted that after getting in from work. Long day....

I thought he was on about the fisher price unit.

aaronjb

Quote from: "Peter Laborne"Are you sure it's not supposed to do that. I ask as my g/f's Fiesta slightly increases in volume automaticaly as you past through 30, 40, 50 and 60mph, and then decreases as your speed drops.

I don't think the pre '03 units are that clever  s:) :) s:)  (Could be wrong when it comes to the Fisher Price ones, of course). Anyhow, the problem with mine is that the volume control has a mind of it's own - but only when you're trying to use it  s:) :) s:)  (Sometimes down means up.. up means down.. down & up do nothing.. and occasionally it actually works  s:) :) s:)  ).

One of these days I'll rip it out and replace it with something better  s:) :) s:)

Aaron
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

filcee

Quote from: "aaronjb"Anyhow, the problem with mine is that the volume control has a mind of it's own - but only when you're trying to use it  s:) :) s:)  (Sometimes down means up.. up means down.. down & up do nothing.. and occasionally it actually works  s:) :) s:)  ).
Yes, that's exactly how my '01 Sony Unit went wonky.
Phil
2003 6-sp SMT in Sable
x-2001 5-sp SMT in Lagoon Blue

Anonymous

Quote from: "Peter Laborne"
Quote from: "aaronjb"

Funnily enough, mine does that too

Are you sure it's not supposed to do that. I ask as my g/f's Fiesta slightly increases in volume automaticaly as you past through 30, 40, 50 and 60mph, and then decreases as your speed drops. Nine times out of ten you never notice, but when you do it can be very frustrating, especially when you are stuck in a rolling traffic jam and your speed increases and decreases just enough to keep the volume constantly changing.

Blaupunkt have an automatic volume control setting called GALA. The h/u takes a pulse from the engine - as revs increase, so does the volume and vice versa. Had it in my last Golf and found it worked well.

Liz

Best thing to do about the jumpy CD players is to get a multi - changer - I have a 10 disc one that sits behind the passengers seat - has never jumped and it is alot louder that when you play one in the actual head unit, I was amazed at the difference it made, lot better quality. Just my 2p worth, I will get back in my corner now  s:? :? s:?
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

Tem

Quote from: "Testcard"Blaupunkt have an automatic volume control setting called GALA. The h/you takes a pulse from the engine - as revs increase, so does the volume and vice versa. Had it in my last Golf and found it worked well.

I had the same in my JVC...it really doesn't work too well on the Roadster. The noise doesn't increase that much with revs...and then again, it increases a lot if you're topless. Just doesn't work  s:? :? s:?
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

Off topic - I typed "H/U", and it comes out as "h/you"  s:( :( s:(   Does this forum have a spell-checker built-in? Worse than Word  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Back on topic. Better still, forget a CD changer and get an mp3 headunit. Get around 6-7 CDs on a single CDROM  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Edit: I type the letter that comes after T and it comes out as "you". Still doing it. Twilight Zone...

heathstimpson

Quote from: "Testcard"Off topic - I typed "H/you", and it comes out as "h/you"  s:( :( s:(   Does this forum have a spell-checker built-in? Worse than Word  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Back on topic. Better still, forget a CD changer and get an mp3 headunit. Get around 6-7 CDs on a single CDROM  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Edit: I type the letter that comes after T and it comes out as "you". Still doing it. Twilight Zone...

Your right; must be something in the latest code. Kris  s:?: :?: s:?:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Anonymous

Yes!!! But I typed in lower case and that d*mn letter appears as "you" in my post. Tried to edit - same thing. Am I going mad...

Tags: