Cheap Ebay header / manifold

Started by *andy*, June 1, 2010, 10:55

*andy*

I forgot to update this, fit was spot on, absolutely perfect! The seller was very good to deal with also.

Not a clue if it adds anything to perfomance, I'm sure it felt a bit more responsive afterwardws but may have just been psychological!! Either way it looks nice and is easier than smashing the pre-cats out.

As already mentioned, there is a massive weight difference, I was surprised at how heavy the stock manifold is. Wish I had weighed them now for comparison

aaronjb

Quote from: "plato25"so why wasn't it made that way

Because it's a copy of the TRD (£900!) tubular manifold, which was essentially a copy of the stock manifold without the big canisters for CATs..
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

mrzwei

Quote from: "*andy*"As already mentioned, there is a massive weight difference, I was surprised at how heavy the stock manifold is. Wish I had weighed them now for comparison

One sad person did   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

Stock manifold (with intact precats)     4625g
Che manifold                                      3500g

Top heatshield                                    1250g

So if my math is correct, a saving of 2375g
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

Mad Matt

I lost more than that with the runs last year, cheaper too  :-) :-) :-)

Seriously, while a bit sad, it's still interesting to know (or perhaps I'm sad too).

mrzwei

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:   But in the words of that really really annoying Tesco ad. 'every little helps' .
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

*andy*

s:D :D s:D   ok not that much then! But as you said, every little helps I suppose!!

I found it adds a little to the noise too which is the biggest bonus as I wasn't expecting anything!

MR2k

Apologies for the bit of thread resurrection as none of the ebay links work.

Any thoughts on this? Is this a CHE header?

m http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/00-07-Toyota-MR2- ... 2170wt_905 m
\'04 MR-2

Anonymous

Same really, but join spyderchat and buy directly from Che himself as he will stand by his product in the event of a problem.

MR2k

Quote from: "nelix"Same really, but join spyderchat and buy directly from Che himself as he will stand by his product in the event of a problem.

This is the guy?

m http://spyderchat.com/forums/showthread ... ates/page2 m  

Ah apologies just found a useful (& recent) thread here   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

l viewtopic.php?f=68&t=31839&p=386832&hilit=+che+header+#p386832 l
\'04 MR-2

steve b

On ebay there are a variety of manifolds, some appear to have heat sheild mounts others don't.  There was a comment that the mounts are in the wrong place anyway?  The ones coming from the USA seem to have more bits welded on the pipes :-

m http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/00-07-Toyota-MR2- ... 1c1ac064f6 m

or ones without mounts it appears :-

m http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Toyota-MR2-Roadst ... 5d29fd4973 m

which would you go for?  I want the sheilds in place, I wondered if its a case of photos being of generic items but actual delivered maybe different?
2002 Face lifted 6 Speed UK 2ZZGE MR2 track car & 2.7T A6 Avant. CBR1000RR & CBR600F.

deadmau5

Buy the cheaper one, then heat wrap it  s:) :) s:)

aaronjb

Make sure you get one that has the support mounting points for the manifold to block supports, otherwise it'll almost certainly crack quite quickly. AFAIK Che's has this, the second one linked above does not.
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Goeman

I got the first one with the tabs for the heat shield. The heat shield never fitted properly and then 3 of the tabs broke off anyway. Whichever one you get you're much better of with the heat wrap. If you get the one with the heatshield tabs then cut them off then wrap it. obviously don't cut of the bracing brackets.

A top tip I didn't know of. Dampen the heat wrap in a bucket of water first to avoid those itchy little fibres getting everywhere.

Also the HP increase claims are bobbins.
Russell

Phil_R

I've got one from jdmhondaparts, it has the mounts for the support brackets but I had to space one of the brackets away from the block by about 1/4" to line it up with the manifold.

steve b

Quote from: "Phil_R"I've got one from jdmhondaparts, it has the mounts for the support brackets but I had to space one of the brackets away from the block by about 1/4" to line it up with the manifold.

I went for that one, £110 delivered very cheap.  He claims no import duty etc, will be interesting to see if he manages it.
2002 Face lifted 6 Speed UK 2ZZGE MR2 track car & 2.7T A6 Avant. CBR1000RR & CBR600F.

*andy*

Mine escaped any duty / VAT

Maybe they pre-pay it somehow, I know this can be done from certain countries but not sure about the US

Phil_R

On the customs paperwork the value was down as around $18 so it escaped being charged.

manchestermatt1986

I bought this exact one as the first link about 2months ago and fitted 3 weeks ago

m http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/00-07-Toyota-MR2- ... 1c1ac064f6 m

Just a quick word of warning, i fitted it and then the o2 sensor wouldnt fit, i had to take it back off and actually file down inside the cylinder coming off the pipe for the o2 sensor. It had been welded on poorly from what i could see and the lip inside was preventing the o2 sensor to fit. It on now and ok, but i have a intermitent cel light and think my flexi pipe at the top of the cat is rattling like a bee on speed in a tin can.

still not got round to sorting it due to work, plus i dont know if it smoother but the vvti change over was very noticable at around 4000rpm before fitting it and now it seems to be smoothed out, not sure if i prefer it or not, i liked the sound kicking in from my induction
Toyota/TRD Stage 2 Kit - C-one Wing - Hardtop - Injen Induction - Inner Vent LED\'s - Double Din JVC - Armrest - Painted Calipers - Custom Heatshileld - Two Active Subs In Bins - Blitz Nur Spec-S - Team Dynamic 16" - Twin Vocal Speakers On Bin Lids - JSpec Gear Knob - Che Manifold - Angel Eye Fogs -

Tags: