york raceway

Started by firepower, June 1, 2010, 19:43

firepower

i went to york raceway monday and took part in rwyb registered in the super touring class for 1800cc and over with turbo and/or nitrous , had a great day even though the only race i won was against a leon cupra R in a time of 14.6s , i lost against a Noble M12 , a chevette with a cossie engine and a Relliant Kitten on steroids   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:   but it was great fun running against such cars better than winning against a 1.1 Ford KA . i  used my g-tech pro meter as well as the race slips
the results were very similar only a couple of tenths difference in readings
01 tte turbo, sp exhaust and down pipe, tte springs 190hp more power soon ? 205lb/ft
1/4 mile 14.6 s @ 90 .55 mph  ( at drag strip )

Ilogik

nice time mate, best I could manage with my turbo was a 14.1 with average launches. Great fun!!
Current: Genuine GT300 Monocraft running a 2ZZ-GE
Ex: Trial kitted Cam\'d Power fc
Ex: TRD stage 1 TTE Turbo

firepower

this was my first time drag racing it took a bit of practice to get used to the traffic light tree and staging but it really was great fun , i used quite a bit of mechanical sympathy on the starts so i,m sure i could shave a tenth or two off the times but i am still pleased with the times i managed . it was great to be up against cars like the noble , i had nothing to lose !!! and the noble does look well from the rear   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
01 tte turbo, sp exhaust and down pipe, tte springs 190hp more power soon ? 205lb/ft

philster_d

It is good fun.

is that Del Boy overtaking you in his yellow reliant?   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Phil

firepower

it was del boy but trig had sold him a cossie engine and a bottle of noz , you should have seen my face when the lights turned green   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  most of the cars in my group were running the 1/4 in 12s ,  so when i lined up the result was a foregone conclusion i was only racing the clock really   s:) :) s:)

philster_d

s:) :) s:)  

Glad you had fun.

russcannell

Great time...Shame there wasn't more competition for you. I went on the Sunday and there was a blue 03 running. It was stock so again it lost badly against some of the modded cars. I am gonna give it a go with mine at the next meet. just hope the turbo doesn't fall off.   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:
Russell Cannell
53 MR2 silver with bodykit & carbon spoiler. Hass Turbo 225bhp 260 Nm Torque.

firepower

i can recommend giving it a go its great but don't do what i did on some of my runs and pay too much attention to the cars you are running against , i was that busy looking at the noble and chevette dissapearing in to the distance and trying to keep up with them   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  ( as if ) i hit the rev limiter which cost me time .
keep an eye on your rev counter and change gear before you hit the limiter

philster_d

Ah, I looked at the dyno chart and then decided what revs I wanted to shift at. So looking at the gauge and in front of course   s:crazyeyes: :crazyeyes: s:crazyeyes:

firepower

that was clever of you   s:) :) s:)  did you change at peak power or rev limit and which gave the best results   s:?: :?: s:?:  suppose its trial and error . i have the mr2 mag with your write up in , think you run 1/4 in 13.5 with your c2 .

philster_d

I looked where the torque started to drop off. Try to stay in the power band as much as possible.

I had other runs with a higher top speed but slower time. Interesting huh.

firepower

must be something to do with physics and motion so did i   s:? :? s:?

philster_d

Its just funny that you can arrive somewhere later but going faster.

i think it shows the change point is relavent, not to stay too long in a gear maybe. I always wanted to go back and experiment more but there was never another good time.

Phil

russcannell

Having never drag raced before i am unsure of the tactics to employ on this. I know gaz? the C2 guy did quite a bit of it. I would imagine the 2 would be a pretty good drag car as it is well placed to get the traction down. I have 4 maps i can use on the car one of them gives 266bhp & 330nm @ 14.7psi. Thats assuming its a relativly cool day. Not good for engine longevity but ok for a quick blast. The problem is hitting the rev limiter in the lower 2 gears. Cant seem to change fast enough from 1st to 2nd.

Was there alot of waiting in line before the runs with the engine running? If so heat soak will be a prob.

Its a shame the 2 is grouped with NOS equipped vehicles in the RWYB class. Kinda makes the outcome academic  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:   Might try a bucket of water sloshed over the intercooler before the run  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:  Oh and i had better get the GF's grooming kit out of the car as thats gonna be at least a second off the time...!
Russell Cannell
53 MR2 silver with bodykit & carbon spoiler. Hass Turbo 225bhp 260 Nm Torque.

firepower

there is about half an hour between the runs but i parked in line turned the engine off locked the car and went and watched the american stock cars and kept an eye on the rwyb lines then returned to the car when they started moving again it was no problem or you just park in the pit area and just watch the drag racing .
with 266 bhp in the mr2 you should do very well in the Touring car group and with the 2 being rear wheel drive and mid engined its very quick off the line   s:) :) s:)  thats were a lot of time can be lost , and as i said i had more fun racing the faster cars and losing than i would have had against the slower cars and winning .
keep an eye on your revs (glancing) and change before the limiter , there is more time than you think when you keep an eye on it .

philster_d

With the turbo it comes around in a flash.

I only ran 12 psi as my high boost setting. Though I have seen a peak of 13.5 once.

Phil

firepower

just checked the york raceway results page and discovered that the cupra R that i raced against and the only car i won on the day had 297bhp ...... so my little mr2 did even better than i thought   s:D :D s:D   my time was 14.6s for the qtr and the cupra did 14.9s with a best on the day of 14.7s

Wabbitkilla

Well done   s:D :D s:D
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

Tags: