Yes again another oil question

Started by pauljb, June 2, 2010, 15:38

pauljb

Hi Guys,

Sorry to bother, i know the ethos of the forum as i have posted a few times, however even after looking around first i still cant get a clear answer.

I need oil as the titles suggests, but i am unclear what to get. My car is a 2001 MR2 MK3, engine has only got 35000 (new one fitted by toyota) it is not driven hard and has not been modded.

So what do you suggest. 5w30 is recommeded by halfords and manual.

I was looking at either these two
 m http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... RRWidgetID m

or

m http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165581 m

Know i know mobil was mentioned a few times but not sure if this mobil super 3000 is included as the good mobil oils.

Basically can you give me a oil i can go out and buy easily from the shop that will keep my car well protected?

Thanks
Paul

Anonymous

Speak to opie oils in the affiliates section, let them advise you.

SimonC_Here

there is a nice big thread on here about oils:

l viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1864&p=346273#p346273 l

Oilman thinks
Quote from: "oilman"5w-30 or 5w-40 synthetic would be my choice, from a reputable brand.

Cheers

Guy

mrzwei

I think 5W-30 is recommended because it covers the temperature range -29degrees C to 38 degrees C! Where do Toyota think we all live and work?   s:D :D s:D  I wish I was there in the summer.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

pauljb

thanks i already read that thread, its what confused me.

so what brand should i go for and should i stick with fully or semi synthetic? what is the difference between 5w30 and 5w40? also is 10w too too thick?

thanks for the help

sh4branze

I use Lubro Molly 5w/40.I have noticed a distinct smoothness in my engine and a quieter valve train.

ChrisGB

Quote from: "pauljb"thanks i already read that thread, its what confused me.

so what brand should i go for and should i stick with fully or semi synthetic? what is the difference between 5w30 and 5w40? also is 10w too too thick?

thanks for the help

Pretty much any 5w30 will be "OK". If you want better than Ok, you need a decent synthetic. Off the shelf, you will be looking at something like Castrol Edge (in Makro at £30 + VAT at the moment), or something from one of the reputable brands. You get what you pay for with oil. I don't know much about Halords own but have read less than good things about it by people who know. I would not put it in my engine.

As for grades, a 10w may be a bit slow to get round the engine in cold weather. If you are using the car in very hard conditions, like sustained high speed use on track or autobhan, a 5w40 is a good idea. Otherwise 5w30 will be fine.

It is not too critical what you put in unless you want to run hard or to high mileage. If you want optimum protection, shell out an extra £20 and get something exceptional like Motul 300V or silkolene Pro S or Pro R.

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

markiii

personally I found 5w way to thin, always ran better on 10w
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

ChrisGB

Quote from: "markiii"personally I found 5w way to thin, always ran better on 10w

It is only 5W when cold though and that is when you want it thin, W30 or W40 or whatever grade will be the same regardless of the lower number. Having said that, there is quite a big range of viscosities for each grade and some of the thinner W40s are maybe a little thinner than some of the thicker W30s at higher temperatures.

I never found the Motul 300V in 5W30 to be too thin on a N/A car.

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

philster_d

My new car is recomended for 10/30, seing as i have seen the oil gets hot does 10/40 make logical sense? as far as I know its not a high mileage engine. But I think the 2 turbos make a lot of the heat.

Phil

pauljb

so is this the mobil 3000 you are talking about

That is quite i good price i think?

Think i should go for this one? am not driving the car, but would like to make the engine a bit smoother as it does sound a bit rough sometimes.

THanks
Paul

pauljb

Or how about these 5w40

I think i will go for one of these three with your advice.

Thanks

pauljb

Any one able to recommend any of these oils for my use? What ones would you buy?

ChrisGB

Quote from: "pauljb"Any one able to recommend any of these oils for my use? What ones would you buy?

The only one I have used of those is the Castrol Edge 5W40 for turbo diesels. It was very good, keeping my significantly uprated PD130 engine running smooth and sweet. Although the Halfords blurb does not recommend it for petrol engines, Castrol do, so I would take that one.

EDIT: Remember to take Halfords up on the free 1L top up bottle when you buy it too  s:!: :!: s:!:  

Chris

frogger

I'll let others comment on the viscocity grade as I'm still experimenting myself! However don't go for the halfords own brand. Mobil or Castrol would be a worthwhile investment.

pauljb

Cheers chris,
unless anyone else can recommend the mobil over the castrol edge then I will prob go for that one.

Thanks for the help

Anonymous

Quote from: "pauljb"Cheers chris,
unless anyone else can recommend the mobil over the castrol edge then I will probably go for that one.

Thanks for the help

And if someone then recommends the castrol edge over the mobil again? Oil has formed quicker from fossils than this decision has taken!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

pauljb

Is that a recommendation for castrol? If I get another nod for castol then it will be castrol. And since I haven't got a straight answer is the reason the post has went on for so long

Anonymous

Which is the reason i suggested, right at the start, that you spoke to opie oils.

mrzwei

Quote from: "pauljb"Hi Guys,

Sorry to bother, i know the ethos of the forum as i have posted a few times, however even after looking around first i still cant get a clear answer.

As long as we answered your question, we aim to please and have a nice day, missing you already!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

markiii

Quote from: "ChrisGB"
Quote from: "markiii"personally I found 5w way to thin, always ran better on 10w

It is only 5W when cold though and that is when you want it thin, W30 or W40 or whatever grade will be the same regardless of the lower number. Having said that, there is quite a big range of viscosities for each grade and some of the thinner W40s are maybe a little thinner than some of the thicker W30s at higher temperatures.

Chris

whereas that same oil in mine sounded like a bag  of nails

weird
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Captain Vimes

I've just put some of this in my M3. Should work well in the mr2 as well and at £25 for fully synthetic it seems a good deal.

m http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-984-fuchs-t ... e-oil.aspx m

ChrisGB

Quote from: "markiii"
Quote from: "ChrisGB"

Chris

whereas that same oil in mine sounded like a bag  of nails

weird

Was yours boosted when you ran the 300V? Just wondering as bigger heat loads would push the W30 viscosity down at high temperature.

Quote from: "Captain Vimes"I've just put some of this in my M3. Should work well in the mr2 as well and at £25 for fully synthetic it seems a good deal.

m http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-984-fuchs-t ... e-oil.aspx m

I was looking at that one too. I have run the Titan Supersyn a few times in other cars. It is not an ester based oil, but at that price, possibly a good alternative to Mobil 1.

Quote from: "pauljb"Is that a recommendation for castrol? If I get another nod for castol then it will be castrol. And since I haven't got a straight answer is the reason the post has went on for so long

Straight answer: Saving money on oil is false economy. Spend less than the cost of one tank of fuel on Silkolene Pro S 5W40 from Opie oils (next day delivery and with membership and club membership discounts it is very reasonable). You then know you have one of a select group of the very the best possible oils in the sump and could not do significantly better. Castrol Edge, off the shelf as recommended, good stuff, generally rated well above average. Go for a £25 intermediate and save £15 (around 0.15p/mile), have some very average slop in the sump and get average protection.

Chris

Tags: