Possibly tired suspension? & help me spend £200!

Started by ad_car_08, June 16, 2010, 15:42

ad_car_08

Hi all,

I've noticed cornering has become quite sloppy lately. As a bench test, I went round a medium sized roundabout near my house, and found I'm having to stick on about a quarter of a turn extra on the steering wheel, to keep the usual line. Also, on my way home from Derby the other night, I was going down the A5 approaching Cannock (not a soul on the roads), having quite a spirited drive, but found I was getting bags of body roll and hints of slip round roundabouts and tight bends, where normally it sticks like glue. I've seriously lost confidence in my cars cornering ability.
I've checked tyre pressures...all fine. What should I be checking next? Press each corner, inspect the shocks and springs, ARB?

She's a 2000 W, running as stock at the moment (bar the markiii pipe, K&N panel filter & uprated discs 'n' pads) with 100k + miles on the clock, so she's been 'round the block a few times   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  but touch wood, she's running fine! I'm regularly checking the oil, successfully replaced the chain tensioner a few months back and precats were gutted within a week of buying the car (~2yrs ago).

On another note, I've got £200 burning a hole in my pocket & cant decide what to spunk it on - so what are my options/recommendations?! I acknowledge it's pocket change compared to what some of you guys spend on your '2s though, and I'm probably not going too have many options!
I've got a breast plate to be fitted when I get a spare weekend, and I'm keen on tightening her up a little in the corners (Front Strut Brace?)...although some extra oomph wouldn't go a miss if it's within budget...but then I'd also like to get a nice exhaust singing away when I have my spirited moments (really like the janspeed twin, centre setup)
[size=85]2004 Sable MR2 Roadster - Track toy
Honda Civic EX 1.0T - Company Car
[/size]

roger

It's one of those things you have to try and diagnose without spending an unnecessary fortune. On the basis you say it was OK before, I'm sure you've ruled out mis-matched tyres, slippy roads, too "spirited" driving... so maybe checking out shock absorbers and possibly a wheel alignment is in order.

I suggest you get the breast plate fitted asap. You shouldn't use it to hide a problem, but it will certainly reduce bodyroll.

As for spending.... a FSB will help turn in, but you won't be at the limit where it really comes into its own very often. So I say go exhaust - a nice noise will be with you all the time.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Anonymous

I'd definitely be changing the suspension at that age, that's a fair amount of mileage. BC Racing would be getting my money after seeing how ChrisGB's handles like it's on rails. Budget £600 + fitting.

As far as everything else goes, pop the breastplate on and get yourself an FSB and then call it quits if you've only got £200 to spend (or put it toward the new suspension!). There's other bracing you can get but those two bits will make more of a difference than anything else, especially the FSB.

WillsSayers

I've just stuck the FSB on my car and must say, I think it makes hell of a difference.

My old yellow was getting the same symptoms you're describing however, and I often wonder whether or not I acted sooner and resolved the sloppy handling as to whether it would've survived my encounter with a hedge........ I definitely vote for resolving your handling issues first. It won't be cheap though, as I assume you'll be in for new springs (£140 - £160 assuming you're on stock and want to lower), and new drop links (I believe Russ got some for like £45 off eBay, if not can be circa £100 I think?) as they'll need to be cut off at that age.

]Appearance:[/b] :: Pre-facelift Toyota Bodykit :: Ducktail Spoiler :: TTE Style Bar :: Custard Gas Struts ::
Chassis: :: Front and Rear Strut Brace :: C-One Front and Rear Anti-roll Bar ::

ad_car_08

Quote from: "Dan M"I'd definitely be changing the suspension at that age, that's a fair amount of mileage. BC Racing would be getting my money after seeing how ChrisGB's handles like it's on rails. Budget £600 + fitting.

As far as everything else goes, pop the breastplate on and get yourself an FSB and then call it quits if you've only got £200 to spend (or put it toward the new suspension!). There's other bracing you can get but those two bits will make more of a difference than anything else, especially the FSB.

I'd love to grab myself some coilovers, but they're just way too out of reach at this moment in time, unfortunately.

The FSB or exhaust seem favourable at the moment...

I had another option pop in my head...seats! I've got the black leather seats which are horrid whenever you get a touch of humidity - I find myself driving with my nose on the steering wheel so I don't get a moist back, and I don't actually find they support the driver very well. Back in my 'rude boy' days, I treated myself to a pair of Cobra Clubmans in black material when they had a sale on at the factory in Halesfield in Telford, and loved the comfort and support.  ....Doubt I'm going to find some reclinable seats w/subframes AND in good nick for 200quid though!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "ad_car_08"I'd love to grab myself some coilovers, but they're just way too out of reach at this moment in time, unfortunately.

You already have coilovers, you just need some new ones  s;) ;) s;)

Tbh it'd be a waste of money buying something for the car you don't need when there's something that you really do. Save up and get the suspension done, then worry about other bits.

ad_car_08

Quote from: "WillsSayers"I've just stuck the FSB on my car and must say, I think it makes hell of a difference.

My old yellow was getting the same symptoms you're describing however, and I often wonder whether or not I acted sooner and resolved the sloppy handling as to whether it would've survived my encounter with a hedge........ I definitely vote for resolving your handling issues first. It won't be cheap though, as I assume you'll be in for new springs (£140 - £160 assuming you're on stock and want to lower), and new drop links (I believe Russ got some for like £45 off eBay, if not can be circa £100 I think?) as they'll need to be cut off at that age.

a hedge you say?!   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

I hear you can get some reasonable KYB shocks from Camskill, but having just taken a quick look at the 'site, it looks like you need to know the product code (which I don't, so I couldn't price them up). Am I right in thinking they're a recognised replacement for the standard shocks? I wouldn't want to buy an inferior product and be disappointed with the performance of them   s:? :? s:?  

I remember having a peek under the car last October/November and seeing chunks of paint flaking off the ARB and that it was generally quite rusty. I wonder if that's shot and contributing to the below average handling?
[/size]

ad_car_08

Quote from: "Dan M"
Quote from: "ad_car_08"I'd love to grab myself some coilovers, but they're just way too out of reach at this moment in time, unfortunately.

You already have coilovers, you just need some new ones  s;) ;) s;)

Tbh it'd be a waste of money buying something for the car you don't need when there's something that you really do. Save up and get the suspension done, then worry about other bits.

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  OK "adjustable" coilovers   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

But seriously...it's going to take me an absolute age to save up £600ish for some new coilovers, and by that time the suspension would either be completely kaput or I'll be pulling my car out of a hedge! I'll have to investigate some cheaper alternatives, hopefully not compromising quality too much
[/size]

ad_car_08

It also begs the question, will I need to buy new springs as well though!? I'm presuming they don't deteriorate at quite the same rate as the shocks?
[/size]

loadswine

Best value for money is a 4 wheel alignment check. Okay, you'll need it doing again if you change shocks etc, but it can make a vast difference to your handling if its out. It will give you a good reference point for a start as well.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

uktotty

I changed mine for the same reasons and my car had 100k and was a bit floppy.
Much happier now  s:) :) s:)

ad_car_08

Quote from: "uktotty"I changed mine for the same reasons and my car had 100k and was a bit floppy.
Much happier now  s:) :) s:)

changed for £600 adjusti coilovers or renewed like for like?

I had a 4 wheel alignment done on my car not so long ago when it was at the local bodyshop getting repaired, so I'm doubtful if that would be out to be honest
[/size]

WillsSayers

Quote from: "ad_car_08"a hedge you say?!   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

Oh aiye - in for a penny, in for a pound! Granted I was being a tad silly at the time and standing water was the main contributing factor (other than my stupidity), but definitely get this suspension issue resolved before enjoying other optional modifications  s:) :) s:)

]Appearance:[/b] :: Pre-facelift Toyota Bodykit :: Ducktail Spoiler :: TTE Style Bar :: Custard Gas Struts ::

uktotty

renewed like for like for £50!

dj2k21

if you want a cheap alternative, I have my old original suspension sat in the garage? it came off my 2001 mr2 when it had about 44,000 on the clock, PM me if interested  s:) :) s:) that will allow you to save up for some decent suspension if you buy mine really cheap  s:) :) s:)
[size=85]Veilside Fortune Kit| Veilside Andrew Racing Wheels| Veilside Pro-Drag Exhaust | MWR Stage 4 Race Built Engine | FRD Custom Turbo Conversion | Veilside Turbo Manifold | Link G4 ECU | Flocked & Leather Trimmed Interior | Cobra Misano Seats | Cobra 4 Point Harnesses | Face Lift Front & Rear Lights | Corky\'s Breast Plate | C-one Rear Strut Brace | C-one Engine Damper | Speed Source Engine Mount Inserts | Tein Super Street Coilovers & EDFC | Defi Oil Pressure & Boost Gauges & Daisy Chain Control Unit | BMC Air Intake | D2 8 Pot Big Brake Conversion | Plus Much Much More![/size]

WillsSayers

That sounds like a good deal for the right price *thumbs up*

ChrisGB

Time for a good look round underneath. At that mileage, shocks and bushes are going to be high on the list of things that could be shagged out. KYBs are reported to work well in conjunction with stock or lowering springs, so that is two options. The other thing I have seen a lot of years back was a tyre that had gone baggy. Seemed to just lose its sidewall stiffness and shape completely.

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

Tags: