Bwite lite, bwite lite

Started by Peter Laborne, March 11, 2004, 18:23

Peter Laborne

<gizmo voice>
Bwite lite, bwite lite
</gizmo voice>

I've always never been impressed at the brightness and whiteness of the headlights. So today I changed them. Overall it took about 1/2 hour for a complete novice (does anyone have four spare pop-pins I can have   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  ). Here are the results before and after:

Ok, not brilliantly detailed as they were taken in my garage. Though each picture was taken within about 5 mins of each other, so natural light didn't affect too much.

Anonymous

Very good - your garage is a complete mess though, I hope your 2 is not kept in such sqalid conditions?.

I cant talk, my now vacant garage is in the throws (mess) of being converted to a photographic studio...babes in the garage.

Anonymous

Quotedoes anyone have four spare pop-pins I can have
i will see at work and let you know

not sure if we use them but i will take a wander

Anonymous

Did you just change the bulbs and if so, with what?

Peter Laborne

I just changed the bulbs to Ring Ultra Xenon (£18.99 for two)

I've just been out for a drive. Roadsigns are sooo much clearer, the white parts are actually white. The dipped beam is cracking. The intensity is somewhere between the standard dipped and full beams, but with a white glow without the yellow tint.

I was a bit dubious (ie a carefully opened pack so I could pretend that they were the wrong ones....just in case   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  ), but I must admit that I am impressed.

mph

Be very aware of how much extra heat alternative bulbs throw out, especially if you take your car to across the water and have to fit headlight deflectors/masks.
[size=92]Martin[/size][size=75]
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S
'01 Black MR2 Roadster SMT turbo[/size]

SteveJ

Quote from: "mph"Be very aware of how much extra heat alternative bulbs throw out, especially if you take your car to across the water and have to fit headlight deflectors/masks.

Written by a man who had new headlights fitted under warranty because 'they just melted honest Mr T'   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

Peter Laborne

Quote from: "mph"Be very aware of how much extra heat alternative bulbs throw out, especially if you take your car to across the water and have to fit headlight deflectors/masks.

I did bear you in mind when I brought them. It does say on the pack "safe for use in plastic headlamps"   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

I used Osram Silver Stars from http://www.powerbulbs.com a VAST improvement over OEM, and no hotter/higher current.

GSB

Quote from: "SteveJ"

Written by a man who had new headlights fitted under warranty because 'they just melted honest Mr T'   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

He's not the only one  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  ...

Dont go mad on the power output! I now use standard power xenon filled lamps, and as Peter says, the results are well worth the money as they do seem to convert more of the power into usable light output.
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Two's Company

Anyone changed the bulbs on an '03?

My dipped lights are crap but full beam are okay.

I think dipped and full beam have separate bulbs??

markiii

they are
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

mph

To clarify, that was immediately after running the lights for an extended period over in France with silver reflective beam-deflector 'masks' (that were sold by the Toyota Garage). The last trip I used some 'lens' type ones from Halfords and had no such problems, though weren't using the headlights so much anyway.
[size=92]Martin[/size][size=75]
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S
'01 Black MR2 Roadster SMT turbo[/size]

GSB

Quote from: "mph"

To clarify, that was immediately after running the lights for an extended period over in France with silver reflective beam-deflector 'masks' (that were sold by the Toyota Garage). The last trip I used some 'lens' type ones from Halfords and had no such problems, though weren't using the headlights so much anyway.

Ahh, mine was slightly different... Running uprated lamps, (about 100watts IIRC) caused the area of the reflector directly above the lamp to oxidise slightly due to increased heat output.This is the area of the reflector directly responsible for your dipped beam, hence, I couldn't see where I was going...
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Tags: