Read the Code...

Started by Acehole, June 29, 2010, 11:16

Acehole

I Know this will probably hurt chances of selling car but i dont wanna sell it with a problem. cant believe my luck that its been fine all this time and today this happend  s:( :( s:( .

anyways the code is P0131 O2Sensor Circuit Low Voltage (Bank #1 Sensor #1)

an idea's on what this is and why this happens?

Car is running better than ever after full sevice from toyota so cant understand why this has come about :S

P.s engine light is not flashing just on.
Ex Owner of a ...2000 X Silver (1DO) Air con with Red leather and Hardtop, JDL spoiler, 17" Momo Corse wheels, Custom exhaust system by Pipecraft, K&N 57i Gen2 Cold Air Induction Kit Facelift Indies. Full main dealer history

cclarke99

My manual only shows code 0130, which is one of the following

Open or short in heated oxygen sensor circuit
Heated oxygen sensor
Air induction system
Fuel pressure
Injector
ECM

From what is said on this forum, a faulty sensor is most likely. If you can see the output of the sensor on the code reader it should alternate between less than 0.4V and more than 0.5V.

spit

Quote from: "cclarke99"From what is said on this forum, a faulty sensor is most likely. If you can see the output of the sensor on the code reader it should alternate between less than 0.4V and more than 0.5V.

Yep that's your quickest way of getting to grips with the nature of the problem. Its OK to unplug the sensor to test it while the car is idling (RHS as you look in) - you want to measure voltage across the blue and white wires.

If you have more than a basic code reader, this data may be available through the unit for both banks and post-cat.
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

wbarrwebster

Hi,

Just a thought...what about swapping the sensors over?
That way you could confirm it it were just the sensor...or the heater curcuit on that sensor?

Yes, no?

B
W. B. Webster

Acehole

thanks all, is this a job u can do yourself and where is it actually located? worst ways then just a replacement sensor is it?

i bet its because of the aftermarket exhaust and hot weather we had it was just to much for the sensor.
Ex Owner of a ...2000 X Silver (1DO) Air con with Red leather and Hardtop, JDL spoiler, 17" Momo Corse wheels, Custom exhaust system by Pipecraft, K&N 57i Gen2 Cold Air Induction Kit Facelift Indies. Full main dealer history

frogger

Quote from: "wbarrwebster"Just a thought...what about swapping the sensors over?

This is a sensible suggestion, but does have some extra risk associated with it (due to how the o2 sensor hole threads love to strip themselves if corroded, or not removed at precisely the right angle).

By removing two sensors rather than one you could double the risk of stripping the threads in the manifold, but then again if your careful you shouldn't strip them anyway I supose  s:) :) s:)  

If the wirings fine you can be pretty sure a new sensor is required, so would be tempted to just replace the one.
If looking to save a few £ in the run up to selling, 2nd hand ones are fine so long as they're working!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Acehole

No i wouldent buy a 2nd hand 1, im assuming this is just a sensor, so i take it the car is fine to drive while i try and grab 1 from somewhere over next week.

frogger

Quote from: "Acehole"No i wouldent buy a 2nd hand 1, Im assuming this is just a sensor, so i take it the car is fine to drive while i try and grab 1 from somewhere over next week.

It's a sensor whcich essentially controls the fueling, so might not run quite right but certainly isn't gonna go bang if you drive it about a little.
A bit of extra soot in the exhaust system and lower mpg will be the only real effects if its reverted to a safe map.

Acehole

solved thanks all.

Tags: