better sound of the engine

Started by Anonymous, March 12, 2004, 14:38

Anonymous

im currently waitin on my apexi power intake and i want a better sound off my car
i have been told as im waitin i can get this for free by removing the narrow pipe that leads from the side air intake into the filter box is this true??
if so ive tried takin it off but cannot get the plastic srew off??
any help please
  s:? :? s:?    s:? :? s:?    s:?: :?: s:?:    s:? :? s:?

Anonymous

Yes it's true.

The screw's under the coolant reservoir I think.

Anonymous

yeah i can find it but when i turn it it just seems to go round and round! and i can really get ma hand under it coz of lots of shit in its way  s:? :? s:?

Anonymous

Quote from: "aarongr"if so ive tried takin it off but cannot get the plastic srew off??

I dont think its a proper screw, more a hoder-in-place thing. I think it just pops up and you then have to really wiggle the pipe off.

Anonymous

My memorie's a little hazy on this but what I think is that the coolant bottle rests on a rubber washer type thing, which you need to pull out... then under than there's either a screw, or retaining clip which you pop out.

I was watching Markiii as he did his, but that was back in November, and I've forgotten a few bits.  

Hopefully someone else round here, can help you a bit more specifically.

Anonymous

so im best to tale the coolant bottle off?

Anonymous

Nope, just lift it up and you should be able to release the inlet pipe without too many problems.

Anonymous

mmm, loads of posts already on here about that !

worm air = less power

markiii

it's an odd thing, it has a screw head and screws back in, but just pulls out.

easier by far to take of teh coolant bottle. 2 screws and a hell of a lot easier.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

SteveJ

Don't need to remove anything other than the rear light cluster. The 'screw' under the coolant reservoir is pushed through a 'C' shaped loop in the pipe, and the pipe will just pull off it - trust me - I've done dozens of these 'poor-man' a'Pexi mods   s8) 8) s8)

markiii

it pulls off because you keep snapping the clip.

it's supposed to be circular not semicircular  :-) :-) :-)
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

SteveJ

Quote from: "markiii"it pulls off because you keep snapping the clip.

it's supposed to be circular not semicircular  :-) :-) :-)

Take a look in the BGB - It's 'C' shaped. I pi**ed about getting the 'screw' out of my first car only to discover I needn't have bothered   s:x :x s:x

markiii

let me rephrase it'c shaped, almost closed though. you have on 2 occasions to my knowledge snapped it off while extricating it.

this doesn't cause a problem but for the 2 mins it takes with the light off anyway you might as well move the washer bottle a bit. IMHO

unless you can manage it without removing anything in which case great.

Anonymous

Quote from: "markiii"you have on 2 occasions to my knowledge snapped it off while extricating it.

Wasnt mine was it?!?   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

markiii

mine was one

and I think the other was one of steves where he got impatient

SteveJ

Quote from: "markiii"mine was one

and I think the other was one of steves where he got impatient

I'd like to see that Mark - I certainly don't remember breaking anything - it may have bent slightly, but nothing dipping it in hot water and bending it back won't fix.

The only thing that breaks is a small tag on the bottom of the airbox, but then Mr T break that everytime they check the fluid level in my SMT pump (the airbox has to be removed to get to the reservoir)

markiii

well I don't know where yours currently is, but If I come across mine I'll show you.

for the benefit of everyone else by the way, regardless of our debate, the clip will hold just as well broken or not so don't sweat it. teh weird screwheaded push clip mentioned earlier still holds everything in  s;-) ;-) s;-)

Tags: