215/45 R16

Started by Anonymous, July 8, 2010, 21:22

Anonymous

Yep, read the tyre thread.

Have a post face-lift with stock wheels.

Having big problems finding rears that fit.  Only ones I can find are the original RE040, which I really don't like (tramline when worn).

Sooooo... question about saying going 215/40 R16 ... net effect that I know of is the car goes slower than the speedo says (yep, even slower than what it already undereads).    Anything else you can think of, and without changing the wheels, does anybody have any suggestions for other approaches (or a tyre that is great and comes in 215/45)?

Thanks for assistance, never had this problem with the 205/50's,  and loved the Toyo T1S and then T1R that I had on that.

Goeman

Hankook RS2 Z212 come in 215/45R16 as do Yokohama AD08 and ContiPremiumContact2.

The other option is to go wider. 195's on thew front and 225's on the rear. Continental Premium Contact 2 or Avon ZZ3's should keep you covered.

Go and Camskill and see what they've got. They sort everything by tyre size.

At the end of the day it boils down to the MR2 being a pain in the arse to by tyres for.
Russell

Anonymous

Quote from: "Goeman"The other option is to go wider. 195's on thew front and 225's on the rear.

Thanks for the suggestions, on the one above, would the wider tyres fit on the stock rims?

Goeman

They'll easily fit although it'll go against the current fashion of mega tyre stretch.

m http://www.toyo.co.uk/productdetail.php ... oduct_id=2 m
Use this as a rough guide to what size tyres will fit on which rim widths.

I didn't answer you first question about changing the profile. That shouldn't be much of an issue either.

Are you planning on changing all 4 tyres at once?
Russell

FGrob

To be honest I've not seen any difference in the speed of my 2 - I'm running 215 x 40 on the back. I'm going off my sat nav which I've used in all three of my cars and the 2 always runs closer to the sat nav than the other two  s:? :? s:?  The only other difference is the drop which can cause the front to go lite at speed - I've overcome that by putting 45's on the front, which others have also done with the same success.
Tyres are going to get harder to find for our cars, especially at a good price - sign of the times I think.

Good luck with your choice.

Rob.
Ex owner of a Black 2004 car "which is quite possibly the finest normally aspirated MR2 Roadster in the country" as quoted by Japanese Performance Magazine Dec 2010.

Classic & Performance Car Show Winner Sunday 5th June 2011 - Tatton Park - Best Toyota MR2.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Goeman"They'll easily fit although it'll go against the current fashion of mega tyre stretch.
 m http://www.toyo.co.uk/productdetail.php ... oduct_id=2 m
Use this as a rough guide to what size tyres will fit on which rim widths.
I didn't answer you first question about changing the profile. That shouldn't be much of an issue either.
Are you planning on changing all 4 tyres at once?

Thanks, using that guide, 225/40 seems a good choice, a bit more rear grip, and closest to the original rolling radius.  Also with the fronts on 55 profile, not worried about trying to make the rears look like rubber-bands.

And yes, planning on doing all 4.

Quote from: "FGrob"To be honest I've not seen any difference in the speed of my 2 - I'm running 215 x 40 on the back. I'm going off my sat nav which I've used in all three of my cars and the 2 always runs closer to the sat nav than the other two  s:? :? s:?  The only other difference is the drop which can cause the front to go lite at speed - I've overcome that by putting 45's on the front, which others have also done with the same success.
Tyres are going to get harder to find for our cars, especially at a good price - sign of the times I think.

Thanks for that, thinking at present the 225/40 would give me very close to the same rolling radius, and perhaps therefore 195/50 on the front if I can find them (also brings back the stagger to front end width/grip).

Tags: