120mph Restriction

Started by scottee, March 13, 2004, 20:32

scottee

Sorry to ask ANOTHER question..... I was reading around and it seems that some jap imports are restricted, the other night I was on the M4 and thought I would check to see if mine was

The throttle kicked out at about 120mph give or take a few mph, just no throttle at all. I heard you can get this by-passed, anyone have any advice on how to do it... is it expensive?

markiii

Adam,

Would eb the man to ask. We discovered this on teh autobahn with his. whoops.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

mine does this and its definitely a UK car. is it possible its on 03 cars as well or could it be that it has been fitted by accident

i work at vauxhalls and have seen some strange things fitted to cars 'because the bit of paper on the front told them to'.  fools  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

i.e alloy wheels to the front and steel to the back
sunroof without any glass
left hand drive with UK badges

SteveJ

I have had both pre and post face-lift cars (see my sig!) all of them UK spec cars, and have never had a problem with a speed limiter (not that I have ever tried - honest officer  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  )

Anonymous

me too my first one lets just say it wasnt restricted

by my 53 reg will accelerate fine you to 120 in fifth  s:crazyeyes: :crazyeyes: s:crazyeyes:   (on a private road honest  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:  ) and wont go any further change up to sixth and that still wont go past 120   s:? :? s:?  

how should i approach this with Mr t?

as i have found they generally arent to keen on driving the car hard.

MRMike

Well it should accelerate exactly as your previous one..the ratio's I believe are the same with 6th being an over-drive. TBO I wouldn't expect my car to accelerate much after 120 as a result of the gearing et al.
[size=75]*Sold 03 UK spec, silver, Red Interior TTE Twin, Euro spoiler, TTE Chrome roll bar, Blitz Induction, VVTI Badged, Pioneer SAT Nav/DAB Tuner, Boston Acoustics Components, Boston amp, Gtech Pro C, TRD Gearknob, B&M linkage, Bama Deflector, Chrome dials, Corky Breast Plate, TTE springs,

Then.. Blue 350Z
and den....black S2000 with red leather interior  
and den.... New Imola Orange S2000
and den.....BMW Z4 3.0 - Understeer!!!![/size]
NOW M3 V8

Anonymous

autoexpress says it should do MPH I'm not arsed about the nine mph but i would like to know if they have cocked up building my car

how do you check if it is restricted?

MRMike

Well without diagnostic equipment, I presume the easiest, and probably most un-scientific way would be to see how fast you car will go. Watch the acceleration, if at 120 the tacho suddenly stops before your redlining, and the throttle goes dead then I would imagine there may be some electroinc intervention.  If it continues to travel towards the red line then starts to slow towards the red i'd consider this its natural terminal velocity. It's difficult to say though as different manufacturers use different methods of retarding the speed.

I would imagine that the speed limiter would be part of the ECU programming, which would also have country specific fuel maps etc, which makes me think that the chances of getting a Japanese spec ECU with limiter doubtfull.

Top speed ratings are dubious to say the least..and so many factors affect them..speedo inaccuracy..wind resistance..temperature all have an influence.  To go from 120 to 130 in an MR2 requires an additional 38bhp if any of the above factors are against you on the day your top speed is going to suffer!

Okay i'm spent!
[size=75]*Sold 03 UK spec, silver, Red Interior TTE Twin, Euro spoiler, TTE Chrome roll bar, Blitz Induction, VVTI Badged, Pioneer SAT Nav/DAB Tuner, Boston Acoustics Components, Boston amp, Gtech Pro C, TRD Gearknob, B&M linkage, Bama Deflector, Chrome dials, Corky Breast Plate, TTE springs,

Then.. Blue 350Z
and den....black S2000 with red leather interior  
and den.... New Imola Orange S2000
and den.....BMW Z4 3.0 - Understeer!!!![/size]
NOW M3 V8

Slacey

Trust me, mine (and others  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  ) cars accelerate way past 120, and my GPS has confirmed the true speed - it definately sounds like some kind of restriction to me. Don't forget, all '2s are made at the same factory in Japan, so it wouldn't be impossible for something 'extra' to be fitted in error.
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

Quote from: "adz648"me too my first one lets just say it wasnt restricted

by my 53 reg will accelerate fine you to 120 in fifth  s:crazyeyes: :crazyeyes: s:crazyeyes:   (on a private road honest  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:  ) and wont go any further change up to sixth and that still wont go past 120   s:? :? s:?  

how should i approach this with Mr t?

as i have found they generally arent to keen on driving the car hard.

What does the UK spec say for your car? If its more

"I was driving on the autobahn in Germany and noticed I couldnt go abouve 120mph..."   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

scottee

Quote from: "Mikeharper2"if at 120 the tacho suddenly stops before your redlining, and the throttle goes dead then I would imagine there may be some electroinc intervention.

yep thats what happens with mine. Although i'm not that fussed, if it takesa alot of effort/money to correct, i'd prefer to blow my hard-earned on something else for the car, I mean, i never go that fast!

Jap GT300

Well the Japanese are restricted to 180kmh on all cars, this is 112mph mine went a bit faster than this because of the larger wheels (rolling diameter)

The restriction on J-spec cars comes from the actual cluster (chip calculation)

To derestrict a J-spec car you have to apply a 'piggy back' chip that interupts the signal from the kmh and turning into mph thus making it restrict the car not to go over 180mph  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:   of  course you would never get close to this (unless you are Martin).

This is a requirement at the point of SVA testing.  I doubt a UK car would accidently have a J-Spec cluster installed as it would only read in kmh, it doesn't have any mph markings on it.

Jap GT300

BTW. Your problem could be caused by having a dirty MAF, wrong tire pressures, dirty oil/filter, outside temperature, running 95 fuel etc....

scottee

hmm mine is all labeled as mph (the guy said the owner before him had the work done to convert it from kph to mph, then labeled the speedo), so im theory, I shouldnt have thing problem should I.... unless it hasnt been converted and someone has just stuck a mph badge over the kph badge

Anonymous

just tried again

fine all the way up to 120 in fifth then nothing i left it there for at least 30 seconds but nothing tried sixth aswell and still the same

the car is six months and 5000miles old any suggestions

markiii

so does it cut teh throttle when you hit 120 or do you just not get any faster?
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Liz

<DISCLAIMER   s:) :) s:)  >

And the club does not condone going at these speeds!
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

Anonymous

it just seems to run out of speed at 120. seems a bit strange that it wont go any faster even if I'm going down hill

i would have thought it would go that bit faster when i change up but no go

i tried this on the abandoned runway at work 'honest officer'

generally this car feels slower than my last one but its very hard to tell. i thought it was the new gear box layout but who am i to know

markiii

roof down by any chance?

Anonymous

both roof up or down, wont pass 120   s:evil: :evil: s:evil:  

bit noisy with the roof down  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

my old 2 was noticeably slower with the roof down i take it thats because of the extra wind resistance

Tem

Quote from: "adz648"mine does this and its definitely a UK car. is it possible its on 03 cars as well or could it be that it has been fitted by accident

Sure sounds like a speed limiter to me...I'd ask the dealer about it.
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

is there any way i could check before making a fool of myself at the dealer

Tem

Quote from: "adz648"is there any way i could check before making a fool of myself at the dealer

Yes, floor the gas on 5th and see if you can get above 180kmh  s8) 8) s8)

Just play stupid and ask them how come you can't get past 120mph when your friends stock MR2 goes to 140mph.
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

anyone got any what toyota say the uk stock 2 with do top end

i think im going to have problems blaming mr t

how much does a rolling road test cost as i might have to resort to this and send them the bill if the car is faulty

Anonymous

Well if someone does want a de-limiter here's an example of what you need

m http://www.hksusa.com/products/?id=781 m

Tags: