rear window to soft top

Started by Anonymous, March 13, 2004, 20:57

Anonymous

Quote from: "Tomr2"what bit are the 'ears'?

The corners of the soft top that if your straps are not done correctly stick up like little ears and makes your roof look a bit crappy when down.

aaronjb

Quote from: "krisclarkuk"

The corners of the soft top that if your straps are not done correctly stick up like little ears and makes your roof look a bit crappy when down.

Like mine does all the time, heh  s:) :) s:)  I'll take a pic before I go home tonight..
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Anonymous

only asked cos i thought what it might be, cos i get it. Something to do with the tensioners i think?

Anonymous

See here for details.

Sundance   s8) 8) s8)

Anonymous

Quote from: "Sundance"

See here for details.

Sundance   s8) 8) s8)

Cheers - now it makes sense  s8) 8) s8)  

One of my studs was loose hence the Bugs Bunny impression  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

I have one of those "Things that you really wanted to know but were afraid to ask" questions   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  that is related........

In the second picture, bottom right, you can clearly see the studded loops that are close to the rear window.................what SHOULD be attached to those  s:?: :?: s:?:  

PLEASE don't flame me for a stupid question but mine are just "blowing in the wind" with nothing attached & I can't see anything obvious that should be there  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

SteveJ

They are to lift the parcel shelf up when the hood is raised.

Anonymous

Thanks SteveJ, will have a look tomorrow  s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

Just thought I would give U all another update on my soft top.  A second soft top has now been fitted.  But it now does not fold down properly.  The wire at each side of the soft top is sticking into the channel type thing.  When you actually manipulate it and lock it down, the soft top sticks up at the back including ears.  

Its takes two people to manipulate the soft top so that these wires that run along each side dont stick in the channels.

Starting to get peed off with the whole thing.   s:crazyeyes: :crazyeyes: s:crazyeyes:  

wondered if anyone had any advice.  Will be getting in contact with my insurance company after the bank holiday.

heathstimpson

Well we have another incident of a shattering rear glass and it can't be down to the temperature this time as it was pretty warm at 5pm today. I will let you know the outcome tomorrow when I visit Mr T in the afternoon after clearing up all the broken glass  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

GSB

It could be that toyota have finally got their act together regarding the rear glass, as its now listed on japanparts.com for about £190.
Its at the bottom of the "exterior-others" menu...
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

heathstimpson

Quote from: "GSB"It could be that toyota have finally got their act together regarding the rear glass, as its now listed on japanparts.com for about £190.
That sounds more promising;   s:) :) s:)  just need to find out if they will stand it under warrenty or if its an insurance claim.  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:

GSB

Quote from: "heathstimpson"
Quote from: "GSB"It could be that toyota have finally got their act together regarding the rear glass, as its now listed on japanparts.com for about £190.
That sounds more promising;   s:) :) s:)  just need to find out if they will stand it under warrenty or if its an insurance claim.  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:

Of course thats not to say that Toyota GB have got their act together, but for the japanese market, it would seem that the rear glass is now available as a seperate part.
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

heathstimpson

Quote from: "GSB"
Quote from: "heathstimpson"

Of course thats not to say that Toyota GB have got their act together, but for the japanese market, it would seem that the rear glass is now available as a seperate part.
Looks like they haven't. Dropped the car off this afternoon to be slotted in when they get a moment as they are booked in for the next week or so. The dealer said it would definately be a new hood and they would be farming it out to a upholstery expert which is good.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:   I asked if it would be covered under warrenty as it should not have shattered and they said they could not see why not. They said that they would have to prove that it didn't happen as I said to reject it. Thats eased my worries somewhat  s:? :? s:?

heathstimpson

Isn't it just typical that the weather is so good now I haven't got the motor  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:

heathstimpson

Went past the dealers at 8:30 last night to check that they are garaging it with the broken rear screen and found it left in the open uncovered over night. Not impressed after they promised they would not leave it out; they will be getting a phone call this morning  s:evil: :evil: s:evil:  And it rained Thursday night so probably got water all over the interior  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:

Liz

Ask for them to valet it for you! What a cheek.  s:evil: :evil: s:evil:
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

filcee

Then write to them - remind them of their verbal agreement, and tell them what you saw Thursday night.

Then tell them that at the first sign off any damp-related problems with the interior you will be back for a bunch of stuff to be sorted at their cost.

A copy (CC:) to Toyota Cusotmer Services probably wouldn't go amiss either.
Phil
2003 6-sp SMT in Sable
x-2001 5-sp SMT in Lagoon Blue

Anonymous

well just been there and its still out in the car park... fair enough as its nice weather and they are servicing cars... be interesting to see if they have put it away tonight for you mate.

As for why i was at the dealers... 20k mile service... but i will hold off slagging off the dealers for another post   s:x :x s:x    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

heathstimpson

Well I checked again tonight after both Kris and myself spoke to them; and yes it had not moved. And to really pee me off it rained last night. I will be having serious words later  s:evil: :evil: s:evil:

Tem

Quote from: "heathstimpson"Well I checked again tonight after both Kris and myself spoke to them; and yes it had not moved. And to really pee me off it rained last night. I will be having serious words later  s:evil: :evil: s:evil:

Make sure to check under the carpets when you get the car back  s:? :? s:?  They do have a plastic coating under them, but it doesn't stop water from getting under them through some holes/seams...

Also, why don't you just raise the top up when you leave the car? I always do that just in case, at least I don't have to worry about it that way...
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Tem"Also, why don't you just raise the top up when you leave the car? I always do that just in case, at least I don't have to worry about it that way...

The top is up... but the rear window is completely missing.

heathstimpson

Could only get Sales today and they said they will put it in the garage for tonight   s:? :? s:?  I wait to see after work.  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

Tem

Quote from: "krisclarkuk"The top is up... but the rear window is completely missing.

Oops...forgot that part  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

Still, I would've taped some plastic over it. I know the dealer should handle it, but the fact is that most of the time they don't  s:? :? s:?

heathstimpson

They actually looked at it at last today and have reported nothing wrong with the mechanism etc so will put that down in the warrenty request. I have to wait a day or so to see if Toyota will accept or reject the claim. I can see this is going to drag on a bit and I know there was no crack in the glass and that I was dropping it correctly. Just got a hunch that a £2000 claim is going to get rejected as they can't find the reason for it to have broken  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:

Tem

If they try to blame it on you, search Spyderchat for similar cases, as there has been a few. Then print them and ask them how come there are similar cases, that were handled under warranty.

Tags: