Annoying rattle between 2-3k RPM

Started by vatovey, July 29, 2010, 20:31

vatovey

Hi all,

Just trying to get the last few things perfect on my car, one of the things which has been annoying me since I installed a Che header is that I now get a reasonably high pitched rattle in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears, and very rarely in 4th, rattle always appears when going up the gears, and only lasts for half a second or so at the most, its not much i know... but still annoying  s:( :( s:(

I have checked that all my bolts n tha' have been done up tightly on the header/exhaust joins, but all looks good.

It does sound like some tinware rattling, but I've checked the cat heatshield and the spotweld on both outlets look good.

Are there any other places with heatshields nearby which are known for problems ?

Cheers, Vaughn.

uktotty

its a heatshield somewhere but there are loads of them!

Turbotrucker

Check the two welds on the back of the very bottom bend on the exhaust, Thats where mine went! I took it off and replaced it with heat wrap.  s:D :D s:D
2005 Sable grey Red edition,2zz by Rogue,Toyota GB skirts and spats.Markiii pipe+k&n Panel, Rogue manifold, Sports Cat,TTE Exhaust, TTE style bar, S2000 Seats, Mongo's;) Red Mohair Roof, Whiteline ARB's.

vatovey

I've checked those, both seem in decent condition, wondering where else to look.

uktotty

It's a 2 man job, one of you needs to rev to the point where the rattle starts, the other needs to poke around at metal bits until they find the noise. Do you have a friend?

vatovey

It seems worse when the car is moving, when revving while stationary its barely audible.

Could get someone to rev the engine while stationary and then have a look in the engine bay at the same time.

cclarke99

Are you sure it's not actually inside the exhaust, like a loose baffle or similar. Mines had a similar rattle for a few months now and I can't find any loose heatshields, but on the other hand the exhaust looks expensive and the outside is fine, so I'm reluctant to replace it.

Wabbitkilla

Today we had a 2 with a horrible rattle around those rpm.
It turned out to be the cat heat shield where the 2 pipes go into one.
Pressing down on the heat shield from above with a socket extension identified the cause.

Might be worth considering stuffing to exhaust wrap inside the heatshield to try and make it go away.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

Anonymous

You can rev the engine from the engine bay if you reach behind the top of engine and find the cable.

sh4branze

I had a similar rattle.It was the heat shield on the cat where the 2 go into 1.I tried prying up on it with a screw driver and it went away for a few days.It then returned and I ended up removing the heat shield all together.

Tags: